Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
12-09-2010, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capulet View Post
WoW doesn't hold a patent on the word Raid. That is exactly what these new Klingon dailies are, raids.

There are more synonyms of course.
maneuver, foray, incursion, inroad, attack, invade
Here are the synonyms from dictionary.com:

invasion
assault
mission
offense
charge
strike
raid

I just have hard time imagining the word "sortie" coming out of a Klingons mouth :p
Lt. Commander
# 22
12-09-2010, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic_Gozer
Patrol Mission ? You'll have to be more specific...

Goz
Sorry my fault. I'm refering to the patrol mission in the sortie where you have to find the patrol of freighters. Then for the main mission you have to loot 3 frieghters and the optional mission you have to loot 5, well by loot I mean take the crafting thingymajigs. I guess beam out the cargo would be the technical term!

Anyway... What happened was after I got all but one of the freighters cargo I still failed both the main and the optional mission I think this happened after one of the first group of freighters warped out.

For added clarity it is the mission where there are two groups of 3 freighter arrayed in a kinda triangle formation each and then a federation ship flies in twice during the mission to 'protect' them...

Hope that is clearer!
Lt. Commander
# 23
12-09-2010, 03:18 PM
Quote:
If anyone can come up with an alternative to Sortie... that "fits" and I like... sure
death from above?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post

I just have hard time imagining the word "sortie" coming out of a Klingons mouth :p
im pretty sure gowron said it once.
Lt. Commander
# 24
12-09-2010, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Here are the synonyms from dictionary.com:

invasion
assault
mission
offense
charge
strike
raid

I used most of those in the individual missions themselves... the wrapper mission is the sortie...

It means this...

(sr'tē, sr-tē')
An armed attack, especially one made from a place surrounded by enemy forces.

Klingons are emerging from thier sector into Pi Canis.... If you can find another word that means exactly the same thing.... lemmi know
Lt. Commander
# 25
12-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Quote:
I used most of those in the individual missions themselves... the wrapper mission is the sortie...

It means this...

(sr'tē, sr-tē')

Klingons are emerging from thier sector into Pi Canis.... If you can find another word that means exactly the same thing.... lemmi know
Peaceful Penetration (yes,it's a real military tactic)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peaceful_Penetration
Lt. Commander
# 26
12-09-2010, 03:54 PM
Quote:

It means this...

(sr'tē, sr-tē')

Sortie works, but it's not very Klingon, especially not "Sortie Alpha" and "Sortie Bravo". It's a good naming convention but I think it would work better for a Federation mission.

As much as I think it should be different however, I can't really find a word that fits more appropriately except perhaps some form of "incursion".

Either way I don't think Alpha and Bravo are very Klingon.
Lt. Commander
# 27
12-09-2010, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARKFORCE View Post

Resisting dirty comment.
Lt. Commander
# 28
12-09-2010, 04:11 PM
Quote:

It means this...

(sr'tē, sr-tē')

raid (rād)

noun

1. a sudden, hostile attack, esp. by troops, military aircraft, etc., or by armed, usually mounted, bandits intent on looting
2. any act or instance of entering to remove or capture something: a midnight raid on a refrigerator

Fits. As Nagus said, Hard to imagine a big gruff Klingon Warrior using a hoity toity posh word like sortie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARKFORCE View Post

And this doesn't help. Klingons wouldn't know peaceful penetration if they were hit over the head with it. :p
Lt. Commander
# 29
12-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capulet View Post
And this doesn't help. Klingons wouldn't know peaceful penetration if they were hit over the head with it. :p
Glad someone appreciates the humor of it.
Lt. Commander
# 30
12-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Quote:
It's intentional...

Try not to blow them up...

Goz
Well... uh... that's the reason I would really like a feature that tells me who wrote a mission. So I can avoid certain authors who write missions that are ... well... too annoying for my tastes

Btw I would use heist instead of sortie.

Since sortie, according to m-w.com also means: a short trip for pleasure <an occasional sortie to the city to rummage through some of its numerous used-book stores...

which may be the reason why some people have their difficulties with that.