Lt. Commander
# 1 Crafting... made difficult
12-10-2010, 12:16 PM
So if I might inquire, as it may have been an oversight on my part...
How do I obtain low level data to craft 'recipies'?

Here is the problem. I have 6 characters, 3 fed and 3 klingon. All 6 of my characters are all Lt.Cmndr and above. This problem affects my Klingons more than my feds, but the problem is still there to a lesser degree. How do I 'farm' low level data (Mineral samples, alien artifacts, ect...) when every single data sample I get is mid to high level?

I did the sorties 4 times yesterday with my Cmndr BoP Tac captain yesterday. I went back to Qonos with the intention of taking my new hoard of data to the crafting console and start my new crafting career. To my utter dismay, every single 'recipie' is first teir data samples... every single sample I had was mid teir.

Hmmm...

So I figured, okay there is bound to be some being sold on the exchange. How expensive could they possibly be?!?

Sooo... clearly this problem is pretty common because COMMON FIRST TEIR data samples sell for 30k EACH. So yeah, not really feasable to spend 300K to make ONE recipie.

Clearly there are folks who have NO PROBLEM taking full advantage of this issue, to make a slimy wad of 'blood money'. Nice to know that capitalism is alive and well in the 24th century... and I thought Ferengi were bad.

So am I missing something, did I make a mistake, is there a place to 'farm' first teir data samples (Particularly for Klingons) that I don't yet know about?

If this is a common issue, perhaps a few 'adjustments' could be made so I don't have to be a multi-millionaire just to craft a few recipies?
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Go farm Delta Volanis.

The only thing they have there is mostly red level samples.

EDIT: Also check out this quote from dstahl:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Here is a cheat sheet of how the anomalies are currently divided by star cluster (not counting the occassional random rares). Keep in mind that anomalies drop based on the level of the zone or mission.

MK 2: Radiation Samples, Mineral Samples, Alien Artifacts
* Delta Volanis
* Arucanis Arm
* T'Ong Nebula
(or missions level 1 - 13)

MK 4: Antimatter Sample, Biological Sample, Unknown Alloy
* Arcanis Arm
* Hromi Cluster
* Khazan Cluster
* T'Ong Nebula
(or missions level 6 to 19)

MK 6: Tetryon Particle, Plasma Sample, Encoded Data
* Hromi Cluster
* Khazan Cluster
* Afehirr Nebula
* Eridani Belt
* D'Kel Star Cluster
(or missions level 16 to 29)

MK 8: Methogenic Particle, DNA Sequence, Genetic Sequencer
* Eridani Belt
* Rolor Nebula
* Betreka Nebula
* Zenas Expanse
* Eridon Nebula
(or missions level 26 to 39)

MK 10: Tachyon Wave Signature, Exobiological Data, Photonic Technology
* Zenas Expanse
* B'Tran Cluster (41)
* Azlesa Expanse (41)
(or missions level 36 to 49)

MK 11: Chronometric Wave Signature, Unidentified Substance, Technical Schematic
* B'Tran Cluster (41 and 51)
* Azelsa Expanse (41 and 51)
(or missions level 46 to 55)
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-10-2010, 12:33 PM
Actually, this brings up a bit of a point. No matter what stage of the game you're in, you need T1 materials for the schematics for your Mk3-12 items. But the whole point of redoing the crafting was so that you can craft side-by-side as you level up, that you don't need to backtrack or grind much. But this means that I have to spend about 25% of all my resource gathering in Delta Volanis.

Now I don't know what the solution is because I do like being able to use up my old, low-levelled materials for something useful, but I also wouldn't want to backtrack and grind for them once as I rank up. Maybe some material exchange where I can swap low-level materials for high ones? Or let us optionally use higher level materials on schematics (although, I'm not sure on the UI for this, can you imagine how they would give us the option which materials to use for which schematic?)
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizixMan View Post
Actually, this brings up a bit of a point. No matter what stage of the game you're in, you need T1 materials for the schematics for your Mk3-12 items. But the whole point of redoing the crafting was so that you can craft side-by-side as you level up, that you don't need to backtrack or grind much. But this means that I have to spend about 25% of all my resource gathering in Delta Volanis.

Now I don't know what the solution is because I do like being able to use up my old, low-levelled materials for something useful, but I also wouldn't want to backtrack and grind for them once as I rank up. Maybe some material exchange?
Now THAT is an idea I like. Far mor practical. Just as you can exchange emblems for marks... you should be able to take higher teir data samples and 'sell' them to a vendor for lower teir samples. Now THAT would eliminate the problem quickly and efficiently!
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-10-2010, 12:37 PM
I've just finished farming Delta Volanis, Arucanis and Hromi for the lowest 2 tiers of data samples with great success, and great fun as I used one of my long-forgotten tier 3 ships to do it. It seems the exploration clusters still yield the appropriate samples regardless of your current rank. Still, crafting now requires a LOT of samples... no wonder exchange prices are skyrocketing.

The best way to farm, for me, is not to forgo the Explore Unkown System missions, but to use those to farm as well. You just have to avoid the ones with combat as they will slow you down.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-10-2010, 12:39 PM
personally i think schematics should drop like loot as well. anyone agree?
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
personally i think schematics should drop like loot as well. anyone agree?
I think that Toliver and the Ferengi brothers should just start selling ready made schematics instead of their item supplies which nobody needs any more.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-10-2010, 01:14 PM
I would just give all scanned anomalies a chance to drop the MkII red anomalies as well, no matter which area you're scanning from.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-10-2010, 01:23 PM
I'd get behind that Direphoenix. Especially if they're in addition to your normal collecting rate of higher tier drops.
Lt. Commander
# 10 Breakdown
12-10-2010, 01:32 PM
Personally, I'd really like to see the addition of item breakdown. Suppose during mission replay you pick up a bunch of loot that is Commander--and you're a Vice Admiral. Instead of just selling it off, it would be nice to take it to MA and break it down in materials and schematics.

Possibly something they can add in a later update.