Lt. Commander
# 141 hopes
01-11-2009, 09:55 PM
I hope all the tier 1 ships are shuttles, lol.

I am happy with everything except that its not out yet.

Luv ya game-makerz

Lt. Commander
First of all, let me apologize if any of this has already been previously mentioned. Didn't have the time to read each and every post, so if this is redundant, I sincerely apologize.

The first question/idea, stems from games such as Fable, where you can evolve your storyline based on your actions, wether you do good things or bad things. Will this MMO have the ability to be an evil-doer, like conquering races, or overthrowing ships... if so, will the story evolve as that of a "space pirate" or rogue of sorts?

Second question/idea, when attacked by the Borg, will it be possible to be assimilated to the Borg and actually serve upon the Borg crew, and go along with them as they attempt to conquer others? If so, will it also be possible to be liberated from the Borg and turned back into what you already were (like Jean Luc Picard in Next Generation)?

Third question/idea, will there be random encounters with Que? Not so much a whole storyline wrapped around an encounter (though that's possible as well), but like in the middle of another storyline that never intended to have Que, could there be a random encounter with Que, like how in some MMOs they might have a random merchant or random NPC that shows up to interact with you while there's currently another storyline that was never originally made for it to happen. So in sorts, could Que just be a universal NPC that kind of free-floats throughout the game?

Fourth question/idea, any chance the buddy-list/friends might be worked into an interface in the actual game? Like when triggering an IM with a buddy, any chance it could trigger a "opening hailing frequency" on the video screen with them? (Since it's an MMO, figuring their character's face can be shown on the screen or something with lip-syncing either to typed text or voice chat... if this was a virtual world like Second Life, might suggest the ability to have video conferencing and actually show ourselves on the screen, heh.)

Fifth question/idea, should the head guy, believe his name was Jeff, actually nerf our characters, as said in the webcast, will we have the ability to take his godly character, shove it in a photon torpedo tube, and launch him out into an uncharted nebula somewhere? (this one is said just in jest, sorry, couldn't resist!) :p

Think that's it for now, but if I think of anything else, will be sure to post/ask it! Thanks in advance for any enlightenment on any of this!
Lt. Commander
# 143 So ... control systems?
01-12-2009, 01:53 PM
My question is how closely the command and combat ship-side controls will play? Will they look/act like the command controls for Starfleet Command? (I ask because the mass to accelleration ratio in those games seems similar to what you describe.) If not, is there an existing analog to your control systems?
Lt. Commander
# 144
01-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Although no solid details have been given regarding platforms, judging by your other MMO; Champions Online, it's common concensus among forum members that STO is going to be released for the Xbox 360. If i purchase the game for the Xbox (as i am planning on doing) and then decide to move to PC for whatever reason, will i need to make another purchase or can i just download the client and play using my existing log-in details?
Lt. Commander
# 145
01-12-2009, 02:01 PM
It seems I am in the minority. I don't like being able to keep past ships. Move on, grow, evolve. Certainly breaks immersion and makes little game sense. Seems silly, like you have entire ships in your pocket, what happens to the crew compliment of a Sovereign class ship when you magically switch back to your tier one ship for a specific mission? Been following STO for a long time, sounds like they are going the video game route, not the MMORPG route. Dissapointing to me.
Lt. Commander
# 146
01-12-2009, 03:45 PM
well i have seen everyone here ask about the game, but lets talk hardware.. i really hope this isnt going to turn out like blizzard when world of ******** burning crusade came out.. there were server crashes for about a month before they "fixed" the issues, so my question is considering the ST community is much larger and extremely more vast than blizzard, are your servers going to be able to hold, the hundreds of thousands or even possibly millions of people logging on at the same time? will you have multiple servers? or is it going to be just one server?
Lt. Commander
# 147 suggestions
01-12-2009, 04:04 PM
a wile ago i played a game called flashtrek on "maxgames.com" if someone could take a look at it, its a fun game, and it might help, or you could just play it for fun while your waiting for this to finish
Lt. Commander
# 148
01-12-2009, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denzen View Post
I hope all the tier 1 ships are shuttles, lol.

I am happy with everything except that its not out yet.

Luv ya game-makerz

well wouldnt it be better if the tutorial part is shuttles?

and tire 1 be like sabre class ships?

shuttles are way to limited and are actualy part of either a base or starship and dont realy operate solo
solo missions with small craft started with the runabout ships that are actualy bigger then regular suttles

about the ship tiers id rather have a fast smaller ship all the game for maneuvring and attacking but i asume you put a lot of effort in making your ship and crew better thrueout the game.
you might have the battleships like galaxy-class/sovreign class your * tanks*, sabre class/defiant class dps that do all the fast attacking. perhaps even nebula/oberth class as healers?

its a mmo so you need to play together some might be good at attacking but some will need to do the pwning and others sit back and heal while others take all the big hits. i just hope the game will be diverce so not only trek players will play the game but that the game atracts more players and different styls to play the game.
Lt. Commander
# 149
01-12-2009, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca12nag3 View Post
well wouldnt it be better if the tutorial part is shuttles?

and tire 1 be like sabre class ships?

shuttles are way to limited and are actualy part of either a base or starship and dont realy operate solo
solo missions with small craft started with the runabout ships that are actualy bigger then regular suttles
I guess that tier 1 ships would be runabouts, tier 2 small ships and so on.
Lt. Commander
# 150
01-12-2009, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daadamo View Post
It seems I am in the minority. I don't like being able to keep past ships. Move on, grow, evolve. Certainly breaks immersion and makes little game sense. Seems silly, like you have entire ships in your pocket, what happens to the crew compliment of a Sovereign class ship when you magically switch back to your tier one ship for a specific mission? Been following STO for a long time, sounds like they are going the video game route, not the MMORPG route. Dissapointing to me.
I'm with you on this one dude, I just can't understand how anyone could justify a player having an intrepid class, sovereign class, defiant class and god knows what else tied up in a dock somewhere. I think we should just have our ships and when we are ready to move on, our ships are opened up for other players to use, like a hand me down system.

I know a lot of people will disagree with this, but I just think that if you had a slider with "arcade fun" at one end and "star trek canon" at the other, I'd rather see the slider move more towards the "Star Trek Canon" end. Maybe it's just me (and presumably daadamo), but the more information I discover about this game, the more I fear it's just going to be more of the usual same old, same old MMO; with ST decorations on it to draw people in.

And if it turns into another EVE online........ god help us.