Lt. Commander
Okay, my drawing skills suck. But here is my ship I submitted:
Excellence Class

What I have in mind is just as the Sovereign is the modern retelling of the Constitution Class; the Excellence Class is the modern retelling of the Excelsior Class. And while my drawing abilities are poor, I hope I have portrayed that feeling.

The Excellence Class is 737 meters long and it has 30 decks. So it will sit taller than the Sovereign and is longer than the Sovereign. It steps back a little from the sleek designs (there is no air in space, why worry with aerodynamics?) and goes to a more traditional design. The saucer actually sits on a neck and can separate in the event of an emergency. It has four torpedo tubes fore (two sets of two), and two aft. It also has ablative armor.

It's mostly a troop carrier/destroyer. The saucer section is used for crew quarters only. The engineering section houses the warp core, sick bay, science labs, and 4 large volume (think gymnasium-sized and larger) holodecks used for combat training as well as the main shuttle bay at the rear of the ship in the forward-facing design shared by the Excelsior. Forward torpedo tubes are in the neck; rear tubes at the base of the saucer (this allows for quicker reload and shared inventory as all of the tubes are next to each other).

What do you think?
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-11-2010, 10:42 AM
I thought the Sovereign was modeled on the Excelsior class primarily, already.

http://www.startrekonline.com/enterp...lery?share=667

I went for an "everything in the Prime Universe" class because I figured this would be the last Prime Universe Enterprise seen and wanted it to be representative of everything at once. It made it somewhat busy and squished in places.

I very much prefer a Connie/Galaxy/Ambassador style profile and dislike the flattening these ships tended to go through.

The one thing I really like about my design was working the Defiant deflector into a more rounded sovereign saucer.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I thought the Sovereign was modeled on the Excelsior class primarily, already.
Well, here's my thinking when I designed it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-11-2010, 10:54 AM
No offense, Bob. But I don't think you're design is going to win, since your just kitbashing. Remember Originality counts 50% of the score.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-11-2010, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
No offense, Bob. But I don't think you're design is going to win, since your just kitbashing. Remember Originality counts 50% of the score.
it's not a kitbash, it's a melding. I can't draw that latter. Kitbashing is the extent of my drawing skill. I'm just trying to get the idea across. I'm hoping Cryptic's designers have better artistic skill than I do when they go to build it in game.

Originality: going against the sleekness everyone has latched onto and sticking with a traditional design. But I have no desire to see a Sovereign saucer on an Excelsior body. I want to see the two ideas meld into a new class of ship.

I just can't draw worth s***.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Bah who needs drawing skills. We learned the skills needed to build ships when we were 5 years old.

http://www.startrekonline.com/enterp...hare=640<br />

Mine is sort of a fusion of ships as well.. some Galaxy, some Sovereign, and even some Excelsior and Ambassador. Was aiming for more of a "sate ship" or an explorer rather than a warship like the Sovereign.

Bigger version in my sig if you wanna see more detail on those shots.

Bob; I like the idea, unfortunately the image shows that its a "cut up" of the 2 source images, which makes people think Kitbash.

Leviathan: I saw that one earlier, pretty nice. The saucer prob. needs to be level though, and maybe the whole thing a little "longer" relative the height, its rather stubby on the side profile.

Def. a contender so far tho!
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-11-2010, 11:42 AM
I'd just like to remind people to please not plagiarize. It will only turn out badly. For example, I've seen a lot of submissions of this:

Century Class USS Enterprise F

by designer DJ Curtis. He's already posted about this on the forums, but I've also seen many other designs that are blatant plagiarism. Please, if you're going to submit a design, put some effort into it.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberion1701
Bob; I like the idea, unfortunately the image shows that its a "cut up" of the 2 source images, which makes people think Kitbash.
I know. But as I said, that's the extent of my drawing skills. Anything else would take away from the idea I'm trying to get across. That's why I started this thread. I wanted to explain my thinking (I know you Devs are looking ) and to get everyone's thoughts.

The ship in my head is really cool; I just don't have the skills to turn it into a drawing.

Edit:
According to the rules:
Originality of Submission image 50%: Yea, the drawing sucks. But I'm hoping that artistic skill will be separated from designer's intent.
Adaptability to Star Trek history 25%: The design is taken right from the Star Trek universe in terms of traditional style.
Creativity 25%: It's a melding of two existing class ships. This is subjective depending on the judge.

CBS is running this thing. My thinking is they are not going to want to waiver too far from Star Trek design. So, my design is not as outlandish as others; but I think it's the most Trek. That's why I submitted it, despite my horrible artistic skills.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekky0623 View Post
I'd just like to remind people to please not plagiarize. It will only turn out badly. For example, I've seen a lot of submissions of this:

Century Class USS Enterprise F

by designer DJ Curtis. He's already posted about this on the forums, but I've also seen many other designs that are blatant plagiarism. Please, if you're going to submit a design, put some effort into it.
that is my favorite one so far cause it looks like its starting to get close to the J, and also it looks awesome
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-11-2010, 03:29 PM
Hmm, what did DJ Curtis say about the Century? I can't find it.