Lt. Commander
# 31
11-26-2010, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splutter
- it forces players into a specific set of builds which are highly optimized for this particular game mode, eventually nobody else joins.

For me, the key to successful PvP is "killing the enemy should be a means to an end, not the end in itself".
I am curious as to how/why FFA would force people into a specific build.

I do agree, to a certain point, with your last quote. Arena matches are nice, but more maps like the one suggested in this thread would be cool too.
Lt. Commander
# 32
11-26-2010, 08:25 AM
while it is a nice idea to have more variety in PvP game modes, i feel that capture the flag will be a little too generic, and doesn't necessarily add to the situation. now, if it were, say a game mode where instead of capture the flag, you fight over deuterium and taking it back to your nearest starbase, that would play a little more into the trek world and give us a more convincing war. as it is, capture and hold really has no strategic points worth capturing and holding- given everything is either abandoned or destroyed. this type of stuff holds no value in a real war situation. Arena fights are good, its always good to go back to the good old frag deathmatches.

though i would like to see a galaxy retrofit carry a flag. it would bring a literal meaning to the word "flagship"
Lt. Commander
# 33
11-26-2010, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felderburg View Post
I am curious as to how/why FFA would force people into a specific build.
It's not a specific build, it's a subset of builds:
- team healing abilities obviously become useless.
- tanks can stay alive, but obviously not kill things - that won't win anything unless your opponent dies of boredom.
- healer builds can be outspiked/stunned and killed.
- glass cannons are a very stupid idea.

So you ended up with every player specced with some spike, some healing, some defence. There was 'variety', but essentially a specific number of builds that were better than the others (especially anyone stupid enough to spec for consistency/role-playing). I suspect the dictionary definition of 'flavour of the month' involves CO pvp...

In terms of the game, PvP-FFA specs were not good for PvE team-play, and PvE team-play specs were utterly worthless in FFA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felderburg View Post
I do agree, to a certain point, with your last quote. Arena matches are nice, but more maps like the one suggested in this thread would be cool too.
Personally, team-deathmatch is a great idea for competitive play, but a seriously poor idea for PuG PvP.

Absolutely *key* to pvp is that a new player can join a game and feel useful, even if they suck. In team-deathmatch they feel like a liability (hell, they *are* a liability). On the other hand it is simple, and most players don't take PvP that seriously...
Lt. Commander
# 34
11-26-2010, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputter
CO did FFA, and it was a quite spectacular failure:

- 2+ fleet-mates joining an FFA map tend to team up. There is no real way to avoid it, it's just flawed.
- it forces players into a specific set of builds which are highly optimized for this particular game mode, eventually nobody else joins.

For me, the key to successful PvP is "killing the enemy should be a means to an end, not the end in itself".
I'm always the opposite. If i am in an arena against someone i am i fleeted with on an alt. They are target numero uno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apt.pupil
though i would like to see a galaxy retrofit carry a flag. it would bring a literal meaning to the word "flagship"
I would have through a carrier would be the obvious flag moving ship hehe
Lt. Commander
# 35
11-26-2010, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekkameron View Post
I'm always the opposite. If i am in an arena against someone i am i fleeted with on an alt. They are target numero uno.

I would have through a carrier would be the obvious flag moving ship hehe
for the Klingons maybe
Lt. Commander
# 36
12-12-2010, 05:16 PM
BUMP FFS.

20charsbloody.