Lt. Commander
I published a mission (Blurred Lines Episode 1) but there are two things that I would have liked to ask about before I did.

1.) how do you 'insert character's name here' and along those lines 'insert ship name here' in dialog. Much like an introduction. "Thank you for contacting me Character 1. I have a mission for you today" (no that is not the real text in mine.)

2.) how do I make a ship warp in, or enemies beam in. Such as, "Sir a vessel is approaching" BAMM, the Klingon Battle Cruiser is right infront of you. (no that is not what happens in mine)

Otherwise...
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-16-2010, 04:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gammadelta1 View Post
I published a mission (Blurred Lines Episode 1) but there are two things that I would have liked to ask about before I did.

1.) how do you 'insert character's name here' and along those lines 'insert ship name here' in dialog. Much like an introduction. "Thank you for contacting me Character 1. I have a mission for you today" (no that is not the real text in mine.)
there are certain tags that are available for that use. the 2 that i know of are [Rank] and [LastName].

i haven't found anything else so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammadelta1 View Post
2.) how do I make a ship warp in, or enemies beam in. Such as, "Sir a vessel is approaching" BAMM, the Klingon Battle Cruiser is right infront of you. (no that is not what happens in mine)

Otherwise...
That is a fairly simple workaround once you wrap your head around it.

heres what you need to do:
  1. first of all drop the enemy NPC group onto the map where you want it, then in the lower information bar, scroll down to where you see the animations drop down box.
  2. select space/faction/faction warp in
  3. then you want to go to the story tab, and create a "pop up" box. it is similar to a blue speech bubble
  4. then you want to fill in your text, and rename your button(if you wish to)
  5. Lastly, you want to create a "kill enemy NPC" objective and label the warping in enemy NPC group.

If you want to see an example of how it works, pop into my mission and have a look for yourself.

the mission name is "To End The War- Designs Beta" I am currently up to 1.7 in the development

project ID: ST-TGPNFHC9E
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-16-2010, 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by apt.pupil
there are certain XML tags that are available for that use. the 2 that i know of are [Rank] and [LastName].
Nitpick -those aren't XML tags. XML tags are with angular brackets, e.g. < > .

Quote:
i haven't found anything else so far
Check out the official walkthrough. It contains a list of all the options: http://www.startrekonline.com/foundrywalkthrough

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkthrough
  1. [NickName] : Prints the character's nickname.
  2. [LastName] : Prints the formal last name of the character.
  3. [FirstName] : Prints the formal first name of the character.
  4. [Rank] : Prints the player's current Starfleet or Klingon Rank. (Vice Admiral)
  5. [ShipName] : Prints the informal name of the player's ship. (Enterprise)
  6. [ShipFullName] : Prints the formal name of the player's ship. (U.S.S. Enterprise)
  7. [ShipRegistry] : Prints the full registry number of the player's ship (N.C.C. 1701)
  8. [ShipType] : Prints the type of the player's ship. (Galaxy Class Cruiser)
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-16-2010, 06:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
Nitpick -those aren't XML tags. XML tags are with angular brackets, e.g. < > .

Check out the official walkthrough. It contains a list of all the options: http://www.startrekonline.com/foundrywalkthrough
i had only skimmed the walkthrough- admittedly- so i did not see those tags. thanks for saving me hours of trial and error

i am also aware xml uses angular brackets, but i couldn't think of a more accurate descriptive at the time.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-16-2010, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by apt.pupil
i am also aware xml uses angular brackets, but i couldn't think of a more accurate descriptive at the time.
I suppose we could say that it's a derivative of SGML, since if I recall correctly, SGML allows one to control which characters are used to begin and end a markup.