Lt. Commander
This is not about map transitions.. okay it is, but not the usual door problem.

So I'm working on a mission. I got it mostly figured out. But I apparently did something wrong. I have a mission where you go the ground and then you go inside a building. So, I set the building as the interact object (I realize the mistake probably lies here). It works but it's backwards.

The entire building glows, but the doors do not. I just want the doors to glow. Do I need to place a door object (I didn't see it in the library, but if someone says it's there, I'll look again)? Or is there something else that I'm missing?

Help!
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-15-2010, 09:03 AM
I think you'd need to place some sort of door and overlap it with the building's entrance. Another option is to place a less visible/tangible object like the "Dust" entity or a Location Marker and use that as the beaming point to transport and also transition the player into the building.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-15-2010, 09:29 AM
Dont set the building as interactable. Just place a marker at the very front of the building and set it as the door to your next map. You'll get the normal pop up when you reach it, and you can just have your BO say "ready when you are" or something and name the button "enter building" or whatever you want.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-15-2010, 10:15 AM
also, a trick i plan to use (but haven't fully tested yet) is to use the Window object. It's transparent and you can place in half in front of the door, half behind it (it sorta "phases" through the environment), and have it as interactable. That way, the door will appear to glow and the window is transparent.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-15-2010, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the replies.. I'm trying to avoid a marker for two reasons.

1) I like glowy doors. Seriously, though, I want the player(s) to know exactly where to go. On my map it's not a big deal, but I imagine with several buildings confusion could abound. Although, I suppose in that example, a giant glowing building might be a good thing.

2) The scanner will point to the next interact-able object. Again, helps point the way for the player. (Yes, right now it points to the building)

If given the choice, I'd leave the building glowing for those reasons. I'll definitely look into the window idea, though.

Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-16-2010, 08:56 AM
I wanted to post again to anyone that finds this helpful in the future.

I did find doors in the object library (I believe there are 4). I placed one on the map in front of the building's door and changed the interact object to the door. Worked like a charm.

A couple issues I had. First, as you can imagine, actually placing the door was a bit of trial and error. Place, check map, move, check map again, etc. It wasn't terrible, but I think it took five tries to get it where I wanted it. FYI, I used the XYZ locations to move the door around instead of the mouse (after using the mouse to get it to the general area)

Also, on the placement map, the building lines can be a bit vague. When I placed the door the first time at the "edge" of the building it was about 10 feet in front of the actual door. Now, in fairness, this building has an awning over the door, but the outline is just a rectangle on the placement map (which apparently includes that awning)

One advantage I discovered is that the door on the building has a threshold. This gives a little room for error as the "fake" door doesn't have to be precisely placed, but within the threshold.

Be aware," doors" are not in the drop-down list of objects (like, say, consoles are). You have to scroll down the list to find them, but they are there.

Hope someone else finds this helpful.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-16-2010, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiant797 View Post
Thanks for the replies.. I'm trying to avoid a marker for two reasons.

1) I like glowy doors. Seriously, though, I want the player(s) to know exactly where to go. On my map it's not a big deal, but I imagine with several buildings confusion could abound. Although, I suppose in that example, a giant glowing building might be a good thing.

2) The scanner will point to the next interact-able object. Again, helps point the way for the player. (Yes, right now it points to the building)

If given the choice, I'd leave the building glowing for those reasons. I'll definitely look into the window idea, though.

Thanks!
You can achieve the same clarity of purpose with way markers indicating where to go to hit the place markers, fyi.