Lt. Commander
# 11
12-16-2010, 10:29 AM
Why don't you just go to the Data Samples Vendor ?*

Not in game yet but keep moaning and he may be
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-16-2010, 10:50 AM
I'm really not feeling sorry for anyone that has to spend hours to level up their crafting. Prior to the new system I had all my alts feeding my one crafting character, and still hadn't leveled up all the way. This from day one. So after 10 months of regular farming - I refused to buy on the exchange - I still wasn't able to level up.

Under the new system, I only had to craft about 3 items to finish out my leveling.

So I'm not feeling it for people who have to farm Delta Volanis. Get the exploration mission from whomever gives it, and level up your Ambassador status at the same time. Just suck it up, and be happy you can accomplish things in just hours.
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-16-2010, 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyMac View Post
I'm really not feeling sorry for anyone that has to spend hours to level up their crafting. Prior to the new system I had all my alts feeding my one crafting character, and still hadn't leveled up all the way. This from day one. So after 10 months of regular farming - I refused to buy on the exchange - I still wasn't able to level up.
I just used a Klingon character and sent myself what I needed, made it easy to max two of the three
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-16-2010, 10:32 PM
Quote:
As someone who has maxed out at Memory Alpha 3 times now,
Under the first system, where you had no idea when the additional tiers would unlock.
Under the second system where you not only had to unlock the tiers but level them.
And now where it just takes data samples

Crafting is easier now than ever before. I made a handful of items to max crafting on my Fed, and sent all my anomalies over to a Klingon and maxed there also. The only hard part was deciding what mid-range gear to make that future characters would use. The only "hard" parts now are that klingons seem to have no access to the red particles once they level up, and they are starting from scratch on collecting the rares.
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-17-2010, 03:46 AM
Crafting is a waste of time period

i can get rarer items faster by collecting emblems and theres nothing special to craft thats not available for pvping or collecting emblems anyway

so it seems bit pointless to bother learning crafting

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermorph
Ok Hi there everyone, especially STO staff and developers;

First thing I have to say is so far Season 3 is awesome! . . . . . . . . but chasing after these special random drop bound particles is frustrating.

I have made it to Vice Admiral, I am also a co-leader of a fleet, I have unlocked everything in the new crafting station, so that I can provide our fleet members with cool stuff. . . But even though it may have been a great idea for the developers to find a use for the level 1 particles (you have to use lvl. 1 particles to make schematics and you need schematics to make items) I really honestly think it needs to be reworked. . .

But I spent 4 to 5 hours last night farming in the Delta Volanis Cluster farming level 1 particles so I can make those schematics, and hope I can find those bound particles, all to find only 7 Dog Gone bound particles. . . And not enough of each to craft 1 single purple item. . . 4-5 hours is all my playtime for a night. . . Less most of the time.

I now think that the random drop bound particles (that we players can't give to any of our fleet members who are crafters or send any to our alternate characters who are crafters must be STO's way of controlling how much we can craft. WHY?

Why do I have to waste 4-5 hours of my time to do crafting that is suppose to be fun, and that is just to get the level 1 particles and try to get the special bound particles. . . Hey Developer peoples, NOT FUN!

If crafting is available to both races or sides now, why do we have a need to control how much we can make? I don't get it? So even though I couldn't create anything very special (Purple) I had a great idea. . .

Here is my great idea; I would take the quest to explore Delta Volanis Cluster so I would be earning level 1 explorer points while I farmed for level 1 particles. . . Then I would trade in those level 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 explorer points in for green items that you can get at the Federation Ship Yard to put in the Fleet Bank for our lower members to use. . . . . But guess what I found out?

And perhaps didn't notice before? After turning in hundreds of explorer points of different levels, I took the items to put them in the fleet bank only to find that they were all bound to ME!!!!! NOOOOOOOO! What in the world is STO thinking? Are they afraid (sarcasm) we will turn in our explorer points and get those ALL POWERFUL GREEN items and make our Fleet members too powerful? Why can't we decide who should get those items. You let us earn the level 1 explorer points at Vice Admiral by letting us do the missions, what in the world am I suppose to do with bound level 2 items I am a Vice Admiral???? Now that I wasted all those explorer points?

It doesn't make sense to me to let us do missions, and get items, that we would not ever use, and then make them bind to us on pick up. . . WHY? It just seems dumb to me. . .

At this rate I will have enough bound particles to make all purple items for my ship in about a week, but I have 4 ships. . . So that is 4 weeks of farming not doing anything else fun, but farming particles. . . Oh and then there are my Fleet members who want me to outfit their ships with really good items, so there is about 12 people in our Fleet and I am the only crafter so far, and how many months of farming will outfiting their ships add up to? . . .

I thought you were introducing a profession system and that is crafting ship weapons and parts, but at this rate . . . I will never get my Fleet Mates set up to fight Borg. . . And YES we know there are other ways to get good weapons, but if your introducing a profession, then why cripple it? Why make it so incredibly hard, that it is more of a responsibility than a fun game to play? If your not making a profession system, then what the heck is crafting for? . . . Please enlighten us. . . Please!

Thanks for all of your patience and time to read my frustrating tale and the questions. . .
Sincerely Tigermorph
Lt. Commander
Quote:
The rare particle traces - or rare trace particles (I never can remember which way it works) - are no longer bound.
Hi there CurstyMac, I hope you are well and your chars are rich and famous. . .

First of all I didn't realize that the rare particles are not bound any longer. A friend in my fleet tried to email me some of his rare trace particles but said that they were bound to him, and therefore of course couldn't send them to me.

Thanks for the new information. I did just check it out and it is true I can send them to other chars. So thanks again for the info friend.

Good travels and may all your drops be rare.
Tigermorph
Lt. Commander
# 17 Thanks Steve for your reply
12-17-2010, 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_Steve View Post
Just a quick note... Farming is supposed to take time and if others want you to make them stuff then get them ti farm also.
Steve I am aware that farming takes time. . . I really have no problem farming. . . it is just with the amount of time it takes away from playing what I consider the fun parts of the game when I am trying to get the rare trace particles. . .

I am not trying to say that it should not take time to get rare particle traces, but I mentioned but one single time of particle exploration which lasted 4 to 5 hours. And only coming up with 7 rare particles none of which I could use to create the part I needed. That seemed like a long time searching with no guarantee of finding enough of the one kind of particle I needed. And I was frustrated after spending all that time and still not having enough to create any of the purple items my fleet mates were needing. So I am sorry if any of that frustration came out.

I am also talking about the four months of farming I have already done. With the many other farming days I have already completed, multiple occasions with 4 to 9 hours of scanning for rare trace particles each. I am simply trying to point out the vast amount of time needed to find the rare trace particles to produce the requests I have already from my fleet mates. . .

Now that they are not bound it should be easier to meet the backlog I have as a fleet crafter. . .
I hope this explains what I was trying to get at a bit better to you. And again thanks for your reply. Communication is a fantastic thing and I am sorry that I seem to do it so badly. . .

Thanks for your time and thoughts Steve
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-17-2010, 08:01 AM
2 hours and 4 minutes in B'Tran earlier in the week:

1 Anyon
3 Antithorion
1 Beta Tachyon.
2 Chronometric
3 Dekyon
1 Duderon
1 Methogenic
2 Metreon
1 Trianium
2 Vertion

242 Exobiological Data
196 Tachyon Wave Signature
194 Photonic Technology
7 Unidentified Substance
6 Technical Schematic
6 Chronometric Wave Signature
Lt. Commander
# 19
12-17-2010, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
2 hours and 4 minutes in B'Tran earlier in the week:

1 Anyon
3 Antithorion
1 Beta Tachyon.
2 Chronometric
3 Dekyon
1 Duderon
1 Methogenic
2 Metreon
1 Trianium
2 Vertion

242 Exobiological Data
196 Tachyon Wave Signature
194 Photonic Technology
7 Unidentified Substance
6 Technical Schematic
6 Chronometric Wave Signature
Similar amount of rares from the same time in Khazan cluster for me, with the same number of lower tier normals.
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
Exactly. Plus you're not really just supposed to farm all at one time. The real goal is to farm as your leveling. Every mission you enter has 2-8 anomalies in it. Get them as you're going along doing the mission. Then it doesn't seem like farming at all. It simply seems like part of the mission. If all your Fleet-mates do that the crafter will have tons of anomalies to make things with.
Cosmic, I have already leveled in rank as high as I can go, I believe and I have farmed each and every mission while reaching Vice Admiral. But now that I have reached it, I desire to be of great use to my fleet mates. I am sure you can understand this.

Unfortunately many of my fleet mates are really into daily missions and PVP, which does not leave us as a fleet with a crafter who can make any level component for any character or alt char that they have. So I took on that roll myself trying to be of use, and because in the many games I have played and beta tested I love making things of great value and giving them to my friends and fleet-mates.

As a beta tester of many MMO type games I have seen many bugs, broken areas and also miss-adjusted crafting systems. I in this forum am simply trying to point out that the time required to find these rare trace particles is not keeping up with the other ways of gaining similar objects. . .

I have no intent on complaining so I am sorry if it sounded that way to you. I meant no offense.
But it does seem to me that STO is beginning some kind of professions system. . . So I was simply trying to explain how they could improve. . . I would not enjoy crafting as much if I can't at the end of one night be able to make at least one thing for someone. . .

That is just my opinion, but it doesn't seem very balanced to me. That is I guess what all this boils down to.
So thank you for your opinion and your words of insight.

Thanks again for your reply
tigermorph