Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
# 61
12-18-2010, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thlaylie View Post
I guess i just have trouble relating to people and communicating with them.

Not trolling, just don't know what to say.

Might be better if I just don't post here and let others express my points.

I never have trouble in RL?

It's also why I would like more Solo content.
I suggest you talk with someone you trust and respect, and then take their advice to heart.
Lt. Commander
# 62
12-18-2010, 07:19 PM
I have bookmarked the vid and will study it for next time I try this mission.

I am talking to my cousin who is like a brother right now.

I think he just accepts me as I am though.
Lt. Commander
# 63
12-18-2010, 07:32 PM
Getting a bit off topic with this forum. Few points about the STF's.
1- They are all the same difficulty. Regardles what level you set the difficulty to, the game does not go by this. You can play normal, advanced or elite and the STF will be exactly the same.
2- Your weapons have a range on them for a reason. You don't have to be sitting on top of a node to kill it. Get it from a distance.
3- You do not have to go guns blazing into the next room and hope to win. Realize their are groups of borg which react together but the others don't seem interested.
4- Observe your actions and the reactions in the game. Change your strategy when you notice something happens or doesn't.
5- Ask for help. There are some fleet members that will do a PUG with people just to see new recruits or for the fun of it. If not, PM me in game and we can run it.

I am not an expert on the STF's. I do know enough about infected that our fleet runs it in about 45 minutes. I took 4 PUG's out once, one of them had done it inside 3 hours before. They listened to me in the chat ( typing def takes more time then TS or Ventro) we finished it inside hour 10 minutes. Every single one of them was so happy to finish it and so fast. Once you learn the first time how to complete the missions, you can do it that way from there on out. Check for some videos posted by other fourm members and then just mimic their runs. You will be able to do the same yourself.
Lt. Commander
# 64
12-18-2010, 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerV
Getting a bit off topic with this forum. Few points about the STF's.
1- They are all the same difficulty. Regardless what level you set the difficulty to, the game does not go by this. You can play normal, advanced or elite and the STF will be exactly the same.
2- Your weapons have a range on them for a reason. You don't have to be sitting on top of a node to kill it. Get it from a distance.
3- You do not have to go guns blazing into the next room and hope to win. Realize their are groups of borg which react together but the others don't seem interested.
4- Observe your actions and the reactions in the game. Change your strategy when you notice something happens or doesn't.
5- Ask for help. There are some fleet members that will do a PUG with people just to see new recruits or for the fun of it. If not, PM me in game and we can run it.

I am not an expert on the STF's. I do know enough about infected that our fleet runs it in about 45 minutes. I took 4 PUG's out once, one of them had done it inside 3 hours before. They listened to me in the chat ( typing def takes more time then TS or Ventro) we finished it inside hour 10 minutes. Every single one of them was so happy to finish it and so fast. Once you learn the first time how to complete the missions, you can do it that way from there on out. Check for some videos posted by other forum members and then just mimic their runs. You will be able to do the same yourself.
It took me 21 tries over three weeks of play before I was lucky enough to get into a PUG that was finally able to finish Infected...

I tried The Cure four times and then said the hell with it.

I'm not a "Fleet" kinda player, so that option isn't available to me.

It finally dawned on my thick skull that the STF's just were not worth the bother for a mostly solo player (who BTW, has been playing the game almost daily, since March) and since the rewards to me, weren't all that great anyway, I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything.

Now, on-the-other-hand, they are about to put a reward into them that I find interesting and would probably like to have...

Sooo... I can understand the OP's point of view.

For those of you that ARE actually kinda-sorta acting like "Elitist-STF'ers", they may not be much of a challenge, but I'll bet my last bottom-dollar, that there are just as many of us "Not-So-Great" players that find the STF's impossible.

It does seem to me that for 98% of the game (not counting PvP which I also suck at and don't even try anymore) to be such, that I can do it alone and reap the rewards that Grouped players also can get...
...for the Dev's to suddenly put interesting rewards into a part of the game that someone like me will probably never have a shot at ..., Just Isn't Fair (and please take note...I an NOT a Lifer, I pay my $15 bucks a month, every month also).

I applaud all you folks that have finished all the available STF's and wish I could do the same.. . but I too, think there should be other ways for the rest of us to be able to obtain the new BORG Gear.
Lt. Commander
# 65
12-18-2010, 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyNY View Post
It took me 21 tries over three weeks of play before I was lucky enough to get into a PUG that was finally able to finish Infected...

It finally dawned on my thick skull that the STF's just were not worth the bother for a mostly solo player (who BTW, has been playing the game almost daily, since March) and since the rewards to me, weren't all that great anyway, I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything.

Now, on-the-other-hand, they are about to put a reward into them that I find interesting and would probably like to have...

For those of you that ARE actually kinda-sorta acting like "Elitist-STF'ers", they may not be much of a challenge, but I'll bet my last bottom-dollar, that there are just as many of us "Not-So-Great" players that find the STF's impossible.

It does seem to me that for 98% of the game (not counting PvP which I also suck at and don't even try anymore) to be such, that I can do it alone and reap the rewards that Grouped players also can get...
...for the Dev's to suddenly put interesting rewards into a part of the game that someone like me will probably never have a shot at ..., Just Isn't Fair (and please take note...I an NOT a Lifer, I pay my $15 bucks a month, every month also).

I applaud all you folks that have finished all the available STF's and wish I could do the same.. . but I too, think there should be other ways for the rest of us to be able to obtain the new BORG Gear.
What "fair" means is that everyone has a shot a getting the item. It does not necessarily mean getting it through whatever means your preference is. There will most likely be a nice item set that is gained through PVP in the future. Since you've given up on PVP, will you call this unfair also? There may also possibly be an item set coming out for diplomacy. I can't really stand doing all those diplo missions, and the only ones I've done are the aid to planet in B'tran. But if the reward is nice enough, I guess I'll buck up and level up my diplo rank. OR, maybe It'll be just too painful, and I won't get the reward. But hey, that's the way it would be. Either I'll find a way to accomplish it, or I'll accept that I won't have the reward. I won't consider it "unfair", and demand that they allow me to earn it some other way.

I consider myself a casual gamer. The first time I successfully completed Infected, it took me over 4 hours with my fleet. We all thought it was the worst mission ever. But as more fleet members got to RA5 and wanted to do it, i started doing the mission more frequently. We improved our strategy and tactics. Now, we can complete it in about an hour, and I think it is actually fun. In fact, nowadays, the new people we take through it say it's fun as well. I really think that unique items obtainable only in unique ways really adds depth to the loot set, and I like the direction the devs are taking this.

And I think that is point of this thread. The way STO is set up in the early levels, there is no need to team up, and even with auto team, there is no need to work together as a team. So when people get to Infected, what horror or horrors result. The question here is whether it would help if there were team only missions earlier in the game, and would it help alleviate the shock when people get to Infected.
Lt. Commander
# 66
12-18-2010, 11:09 PM
Quote:

Check out my fleet. we will happily run through it with you quite quickly. I ran it with a new guy i mean less than a month old and it was one of the fastest runs ever actually if i recall correctly it was with 2 people who never did it before.
just join up with people who know some inkling of what to do. a group of people who dont know what to do still dont know what to do.

heck im online right now we can chat

forums.veteransofwar.com pop an app and ill make sure to personally take care of it.
Lt. Commander
# 67
12-18-2010, 11:35 PM
Quote:

Look me up in game with matthew,wraith or chlobug @strykerv. Galdy run the missions with you to get a feel of how they are. We don't need to be great players to beat missions. Just learn how to play the mission itself. I wouldn't call us elite STF'ers, I have seen some other fleets claim much faster times for the STF's then we run. As for PvP, my fleet isn't great. We are learning by trial and error and going on there and getting our tails handed to us. What about a "Fleet" are you reluctant about? I was in a fleet for two months and never knew I was. Then I found some guys I liked to play with and learned a whole lot more about the game. We don't make you do anything you don't want. You can come on for casual gaming and chat with us if you'd like and if a team gets ready for a STF you can join. We are not a role playing fleet is what I mean.

As for the borg sets, you can still craft the Aegis set if you want just like everyone else. I quote from a fleet mate "so... you want to put the sign that says "I completed the STFs" on your ship, but you don't want to do the STFs to get it?...does not compute. If you really want the borg set then you'll do what it takes to beat an STF.

This just popped in my head but you have done an STF the entire game. Everytime you take your away team down to a ground mission, is in essence a STF. The difference is 4 computer Bridge Officers vs 4 human players. If you have a sci BO you take to the ground, ever notice them give you medical tricorder 1? They are healing you, as if their role to help keep their team alive. Same concept draws to having 5 human players, each person should have a role. Sci are great at healing, eng have abilites like force field dome to keep enemies away and tac are good at raw dps. Some STF's don't require all skills to be there. Infected can be done with any combo including 5 tac's. Cure and KA will need a good sci captain though.
Lt. Commander
# 68
12-18-2010, 11:57 PM
Again maybe I don't speak so well, but wasn't the referral program "fair" and everyone had a shot a getting the item if they did the work?

Yet public outcry got the Galaxy X nerfed.

I don't see the difference between the 2 programs and I expect more well spoken outcries to come. Both required social connections. I found the referral easier because I didn't have to find 5 people in the same timezone and relied on relatives.

I also understand the outcry as I barely found 5 people. Why can't anyone understand the casual gamer outcry at STF exclusive content? (Didn't they also say something about NO exclusive content when the backlash from the Galaxy X struck?)

Again I will try to learn and play these missions, I just wish there was more fun and less work to this game.
Lt. Commander
# 69
12-19-2010, 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerV
Look me up in game with matthew,wraith or chlobug @strykerv. Galdy run the missions with you to get a feel of how they are. We don't need to be great players to beat missions. Just learn how to play the mission itself. I wouldn't call us elite STF'ers, I have seen some other fleets claim much faster times for the STF's then we run. As for PvP, my fleet isn't great. We are learning by trial and error and going on there and getting our tails handed to us. What about a "Fleet" are you reluctant about? I was in a fleet for two months and never knew I was. Then I found some guys I liked to play with and learned a whole lot more about the game. We don't make you do anything you don't want. You can come on for casual gaming and chat with us if you'd like and if a team gets ready for a STF you can join. We are not a role playing fleet is what I mean.

As for the borg sets, you can still craft the Aegis set if you want just like everyone else. I quote from a fleet mate "so... you want to put the sign that says "I completed the STFs" on your ship, but you don't want to do the STFs to get it?...does not compute. If you really want the borg set then you'll do what it takes to beat an STF.
I thank you all for the offers to complete the STF's...
I will try to look you up when I get my current toon up to RA.

I really enjoy leveling/grinding my way up through the ranks, this is my 6th time doing it. (Not counting my
Klingon)
I've retired my previous Fed. toons at RA and dumped thier unbound stuff into my mail account for future use when I think I might need it. So it will be awhile before I'm ready to try and tackle the STF's again.

My point is that for the Dev's to now put Extra-Special rewards into a part of the game that most players have a very slim chance of getting, after making Almost All other rewards available to "Everyone" through the regular aspects of game play and/or purchase, was Unfair...

I was not expressing a desire to have an "I Completed the STF's Sign" just given to me...
(and just a reminder, gaining these Special Rewards through the STF's Alone... WILL create an atmosphere of Elitism among those who are able to obtain them and those who are not.)

I am expressing a desire to have another "Solo Avenue" (and not necessairly an easier one) within the game to obtain said Special Rewards.

Perhaps every time a player destroys 500 or 1000 or 5000 BORG Ships one piece of the set could be the reward.

I don't ever want Rewards to just be handed to me.., but I do desire there be a way to be able to obtain said Rewards through my particular game abilities.
Lt. Commander
# 70
12-19-2010, 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thlaylie View Post
Again maybe I don't speak so well, but wasn't the referral program "fair" and everyone had a shot a getting the item if they did the work?

Yet public outcry got the Galaxy X nerfed.

I don't see the difference between the 2 programs and I expect more well spoken outcries to come. Both required social connections. I found the referral easier because I didn't have to find 5 people in the same timezone and relied on relatives.

I also understand the outcry as I barely found 5 people. Why can't anyone understand the casual gamer outcry at STF exclusive content? (Didn't they also say something about NO exclusive content when the backlash from the Galaxy X struck?)

Again I will try to learn and play these missions, I just wish there was more fun and less work to this game.

This is my first MMO. I have never played a game like this before. I also only joined in September and love the game so far. As for things that took place before I joined, I cannot comment on them. as for what I see, the game is "fair" right now. There are small things that need to be adjusted but I don't expect them to come super fast. I also can't see much to make me out spoken in the forum aganist a particular thing.
Closed Thread