Lt. Commander
# 21
12-17-2010, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellowMoo
All things considered, Cataclysm shouldn't have been in the running. Its an expansion. An expansion is not an MMO its an add on. No surprise though that they *****d them selves out to Blizzard. As for calling DS9 a bad series? Sisko punched out Q. Cant get much cooler than that. Yes it was grim and gritty. So what. So is war. Suck it up, drive on.
DS9 wasn't my favorite series....but it did have it's good points....

Guinan's stabbing Q with a fork > Sisko decking him....
Lt. Commander
# 22
12-17-2010, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlo
It doesn't really matter what he touts if when he asks "So what's the verdict?!" he presses a big red button that makes a loud fart sound and then says gleefully "This is a bullish game that will most likely have a strong foothold on their fanbase for quite some time. If it's one thing Deep Sapce 9 has taught us it's that Trekkers will consume and defend anything Star Trek related, no matter how bad it may be."

Now if you guys can't see that he's blatantly calling STO "bad", as "bad" as he seems to feel Deep Space 9 is, but that we'll swallow it anyway because it's Star Trek, then I'm not going to argue with you. You go on living in blissful ignorance of what he's really saying, or up your sarcasm IQ and watch it again.
I watched the video and got the same exact thing out of it. I made the comment in another thread that it was very much like saying STO had a face that only a mother could love. Nothing really positive was said. He just outlined what is happening, never saying any of it was good. And in fact, suggested that the fans will support it no matter how bad it is.

I find it scary that people are swarming to this as something positive. But I guess when you've shelled out 300 dollars or need a paycheck you'll try to spin anything you can. But anyone who who watched that and isn't eyeballs deep in the kool-aid will fully see what the real message was.

I found it amazing that out of the 4 games released in 2010 that he reviewed, only Vidictus had anything nice said about it. He even left out the exec changes and incomplete nature of the game, where for FF XIV he pointed those issues out.
Lt. Commander
# 23
12-17-2010, 08:09 PM
DS9 was one of the best Trek series and had some of the coolest episodes, most memorable moments and characters, and only got better with time.
Lt. Commander
# 24
12-17-2010, 08:30 PM
The thing you have to realize about almost anything related to G4 is the only kind of compliments they give are back-handed compliments. If you watch 5 minutes of AOTS or X-Play, you'll realize most of the hosts are jerks and have no business being on TV.
Lt. Commander
# 25
12-17-2010, 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
Personally, if someone thinks Deep Space 9 is bad, their further opinion about anything Trek-related is of little relevance.
QFE!

Lt. Commander
# 26
12-18-2010, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlo
True enough lol but he is basically saying "it's rubbish, but Trekkers will play it anyway" isn't he? Honestly, Rekhan, I don't think this a video you want to be touting as good press on the News front page at startrekonline.com. The guy is blatantly calling the game bad. He's not even being shy about it.
Bear in mind in Casey's next breath he refers to Final Fantasy as a story of worry and woe; a broken and unfinished "sinking ship" players should leave while they canů despite having a loyal fanbase that will see the title through the end.

Under that context, again, I don't think a comparison of a "bullish" and "this is one to keep for the new year" STO to DS9 (as an example of 'rubbish') is really that scathing. As others have said, I took it more as a lighthearted jab at Star Trek fans.
Lt. Commander
# 27
12-18-2010, 10:39 AM
i think his review was too much of a ramble to tell what he really meant. thats the problem with trying to interpret other peoples words. every time someone speaks they dont always plan their words out. this was a poor review in every sense of the word.

personally from the whole tone i think his final line was aimed at the fanbase will stick around regardless of the game being good or bad, meaning the game itself will stick around and not go under like some other games. he had already mentioned the fans or fanbase once or twice before in the report, so i think it was a throw away line aimed at the continued support the game will get.

i dont personally think he was actually saying the game is bad, but i cant be sure.

either way DS9 rocks and that alone made me not care for his review.
Lt. Commander
# 28
12-18-2010, 10:42 AM
It is my opinion that the report was designed to reasure peeps that the game will be around long enough for them to "invest" in it. I dont think we were slammed at all. The biggest concern to a "new" mmo player is "will there be some one to interact with" and B "will the game fold just as I am getting interested". It is my belief that both those questions were answerd
Lt. Commander
Quote:
First up the Roddenberry inspired MMO, that lets you dawn a Red Shirt in Star Trek Online. Launched back in February, Start Trek came right out of the gate. Carrying expectations of a sizable and loyal fan base. Considering the property it's based on. There are few nerds in this world more loyal than Trekkers. STO allows each player the chance to Captain their own Ship. Molding space combat into the boots on the ground grind fest that we expected. But the big news with this property is how they started rolling out their content updates just one month after launch. Capitalizing on the television franchise. Cryptic released their updates as "Seasons". Giving each batch of new Content a consistent theme with their high level content, new factions and story lines. So what's the Verdict. Yes this is a Bullish game that will most likely have a strong foot hold on their fan base for quite some time. If there's one things DS9 taught us, It's Trekkers will consume and Defend anything Star Trek related no matter how bad it may be. Couple that with Cryptic is a seasoned MMO developer that has big plans for STO's future. So this is one to Keep for the New Year.
That's not that bad of a review. The "Positive-Negative-Positive" always gets focus on the Negative no matter how Positive the surrounding comments may be.
Lt. Commander
# 30
12-19-2010, 08:32 AM
This guy is an idiot. Cataclysm gets best new MMO? It's not a new MMO it's an expansion to an already established game. His dig at the end towards ST fans and DS9 was just moronic, he wasn't praising anything, he was basically saying that the game isn't going anywhere because the ST fans are to blindly loyal to let it fail. And what world is he living in where FFXI was popular? It was for about 6 months then, because it sucked, people started dropping like flies. Maybe they over hauled it after it launched but nobody I know has gone back after being so disappointed by it. God, now I remember why I stopped watching G4, that station has really gone down the crapper.