Lt. Commander
# 11 Spreeding troops out
12-19-2010, 03:11 AM
It let you put more mobs on a map then normal as well with geting that pile up problem many STO quest give. I used it on more then one map.
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-19-2010, 03:11 AM
Another hint

When you create your custom costumes for an adventure, start thier name with ' 1 - so and so.
Then when your ready to grab it...it is at the top of the list.

Bonus hint, just because you can have your 3 BO types talk, doesn't mean you can't have other members
from your ship also chat it up

make a crew member in custom costumes, then use that when you get tired of hearing your BO's. :p

Meow
Lt. Commander
# 13 Invisible Scanning
12-19-2010, 06:50 AM
Here is a trick I found for scanning something invisible on a ground map (like a transporter trace in my mission Where's Maldo Part 1).

Obviously, to scan, you need an object to interact with. If you take something small, like a blinking light (6x6x6), and set the Y coordinates to allow it to be buried just under the floor (since the Y size is 6, a -7 Y coordinate would bury it completely). Then, set the waypoint to automatic so the player will see it on the minimap, make sure they know to approach it, and when they are on top of it, the interact dialogue will magically appear and you can scan your invisible transporter trace (or whatever your imagination creates).

Hope this helps!
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-19-2010, 07:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreHugh
Here is a trick I found for scanning something invisible on a ground map (like a transporter trace in my mission Where's Maldo Part 1).

Obviously, to scan, you need an object to interact with. If you take something small, like a blinking light (6x6x6), and set the Y coordinates to allow it to be buried just under the floor (since the Y size is 6, a -7 Y coordinate would bury it completely). Then, set the waypoint to automatic so the player will see it on the minimap, make sure they know to approach it, and when they are on top of it, the interact dialogue will magically appear and you can scan your invisible transporter trace (or whatever your imagination creates).

Hope this helps!
I used the same technique to get around that "sorry you can only interact with an object once limitation" in the foundry. I neeed someone to go to the same console twice. So the first time they did it normal and interacted with it.

Then the second time I used a small bottle, stuck it inside the console so it was invisible and then told the character to go "interact with the console" again, even though they were actually interacting with the bottle in the mission flowchart. It works, but obviously the console didn't glow with the flashing interact mode.
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-19-2010, 09:28 AM
I was able to put a two way path to complete a mission- 'a fighting your way through' way or 'avoid the battle way'.

It involves putting differnt walking paths within the same map.
It's a little hard to explain, but you can see it on my mission Life Metal and Soul-Part Three.

It takes some work and tweeking but works great when finished.
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-19-2010, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCouto View Post
I was able to put a two way path to complete a mission- 'a fighting your way through' way or 'avoid the battle way'.

It involves putting differnt walking paths within the same map.
It's a little hard to explain, but you can see it on my mission Life Metal and Soul-Part Three.

It takes some work and tweeking but works great when finished.
I have that in both of my missions - there are maps where you have to reach a certain location, and I put in some bad guys along the way - but I didn't set them as kill objectives.

So you can either fly through and aggro them or take an evasive route around them.
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-19-2010, 11:23 AM
to fight or not to fight

Interesting thing, enemy mobs

If you want to give your player an option to fight thier way through or be sneaky...you can

You can place enemy mobs and NOT add a kill object to them, then they can blast them or
avoid them...doesn't matter. It's not an objective.

Meow
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-19-2010, 11:34 AM
In my case of non-fighting however, I setup a series of pipes close to the ceiling and if you can jump properly, you literally go over their heads while your BOFs fight for you below.

It gave me the added bonus of continuing that section with simply my Captain and no BOFs.
Also made for some nice dialogue possiblities of you BOFs telling you to go on while they fight and Die for you.
Lt. Commander
# 19
12-19-2010, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCouto View Post
In my case of non-fighting however, I setup a series of pipes close to the ceiling and if you can jump properly, you literally go over their heads while your BOFs fight for you below.

It gave me the added bonus of continuing that section with simply my Captain and no BOFs.
Also made for some nice dialogue possiblities of you BOFs telling you to go on while they fight and Die for you.
Thats not nice :p
Lt. Commander
# 20
12-20-2010, 07:23 AM
I think an interesting way to create tension is to set up several overlapping markers and guide the player with notifications. As the player progresses through the path, the notifications pile up on the screen and if you've set the markers to appear on the mini-radar, the effect looks quite interesting.

I use it for dramatic effect in a sequence where you're running away from an overloading generator.