Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 71
12-16-2010, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardept View Post
Gav well vs one player is simply a very expensive tractor beam with pretty colours and so is usless for a ltcmdr slot when a ensign tractor will do the same job.
Except that it can't be countered by PH or JS. And it doesn't require you to remain within 5km for it to be effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardept View Post
Extending the range of Grav wells reach a bit will simply increase the chance of pulling more than one player into the well if they are not sufficiently spaced, which many already are due to the lower need to remain closer to each other to be fully supported I fail to see why that is dumb.
Yes, exactly. No ability should be at it's optimal efficiency regardless of the situation. If players bunch up ... drop your GW. Just being able to randomly select a player and be basically guaranteed to catch multiple people in a GW is ... well, I'll say it again: dumb.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 72
12-16-2010, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heskolt
Except that it can't be countered by PH or JS. And it doesn't require you to remain within 5km for it to be effective.



No ability should be at it's optimal efficiency regardless of the situation. If players bunch up ... drop your GW. Just being able to randomly select a player and be basically guaranteed to catch multiple people in a GW is ... well, I'll say it again: dumb.
Aux 2 damp, omega and evasives will get you away from a well and all of those can be applied retrospecively, not 100% sure about PH as i never use that so cannot say for certain one way or another, but even without it there are plenty of abilitues for countering the pull. So your point about tractor can be countered by PH or JS is what exactly, or were you suggesting GW had no counter?

An increase in radius would hardly mean GW running at optimum regardless of the situation it would have to have a diameter to 20k to be able to use it on a random player at any time to catch multiple players as you suggest. given ships can spread out well beyond its current 5k as they can now provide far more support from greater range you will never find a time to catch more than one player unless one player is stupid enough to wander into a pre existing well or players decide never to move away from a spawn point (in which case you wont need a GW to pull them together to make more use of a scatter volly or scramble), as it stands there is never a need for a player to be within the 5k pull of a grav placed on one player at anytime. Unless you consider a pug v pug cap an hold to be the cutting edge of pvp and see 3 players capping a flag sat on each other. So increasing its range to a 7k or 7.5k radius would mearly allow an opportunity to take advantage of some pilot error in spacing but still means carful players can remain outside the pull still limiting it to being used on a single player.

Or do you actually have someting specific you are worried about when you spout a general 'no that would make it OP imo' for no particular reason?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 73
12-16-2010, 12:16 PM
I've always found EVM to get me away from GW and TYkR's quite easily. Maybe I've just been lucky.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 74
12-16-2010, 05:17 PM
Just a thought...I think the Kar'fi carrier should be balanced with the Vo'quv. Currently the Kar'fi is easier to kill and does similar damage to the Vo'quv. It seems to me like most of the complaints about carriers are about the Vo'quv, so would it be acceptable to slightly nerf the Vo'quv and buff the Kar'fi? It would still keep carriers viable but it would be an equal choice between the Vo'quv and the Kar'fi.

Any thoughts?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 75
12-16-2010, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheYak
Just a thought...I think the Kar'fi carrier should be balanced with the Vo'quv. Currently the Kar'fi is easier to kill and does similar damage as the Vo'quv. It seems most of the complaints about carriers are about the Vo'quv, so would it be acceptable to slightly nerf the Vo'quv and buff the Kar'fi? It would still keep carriers viable but it would be an equal choice between the Vo'quv and the Kar'fi.

Any thoughts?
not if the pets keep the ability to spam tricobalt mines
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 76
12-16-2010, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheYak
Just a thought...I think the Kar'fi carrier should be balanced with the Vo'quv. Currently the Kar'fi is easier to kill and does similar damage as the Vo'quv. It seems most of the complaints about carriers are about the Vo'quv, so would it be acceptable to slightly nerf the Vo'quv and buff the Kar'fi? It would still keep carriers viable but it would be an equal choice between the Vo'quv and the Kar'fi.

Any thoughts?
Maybe it's just me, but i get better DPS out of a Kar-Fi, plus it turns like a cruiser, so i can stay with the fight. It's kinda like flying a Raptor/ Sci ship cross, with the best pets in the game, IMHO.
That said, it is crunchy.Maybe add an engi console. Or boost the shields.
I can usually take out good Vo'Qov pilots 1vs1.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 77
12-21-2010, 03:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardept View Post
Aux 2 damp, omega and evasives will get you away from a well and all of those can be applied retrospecively, not 100% sure about PH as i never use that so cannot say for certain one way or another, but even without it there are plenty of abilitues for countering the pull. So your point about tractor can be countered by PH or JS is what exactly, or were you suggesting GW had no counter?

An increase in radius would hardly mean GW running at optimum regardless of the situation it would have to have a diameter to 20k to be able to use it on a random player at any time to catch multiple players as you suggest. given ships can spread out well beyond its current 5k as they can now provide far more support from greater range you will never find a time to catch more than one player unless one player is stupid enough to wander into a pre existing well or players decide never to move away from a spawn point (in which case you wont need a GW to pull them together to make more use of a scatter volly or scramble), as it stands there is never a need for a player to be within the 5k pull of a grav placed on one player at anytime. Unless you consider a pug v pug cap an hold to be the cutting edge of pvp and see 3 players capping a flag sat on each other. So increasing its range to a 7k or 7.5k radius would mearly allow an opportunity to take advantage of some pilot error in spacing but still means carful players can remain outside the pull still limiting it to being used on a single player.

Or do you actually have someting specific you are worried about when you spout a general 'no that would make it OP imo' for no particular reason?
For the short period of time I had a max-specced GW3 on a char of mine, I had absolutely no problems catching at least 2 people, and more often the entire other team, in my GW. Granted in random pugs people tend to spread out more, but that's because everyone is off doing their own thing. I can guarantee you that if GW gets it's radius increased, everyone who can slot it onto a bridge officer will use it. And every fight will turn into mass GW spam. It's already moving towards that with the recent buff to GW, and while I don't mind that I'd hate to see it become something that you see constantly and consistently throughout every fight.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 78
12-21-2010, 03:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheYak
Just a thought...I think the Kar'fi carrier should be balanced with the Vo'quv. Currently the Kar'fi is easier to kill and does similar damage to the Vo'quv. It seems to me like most of the complaints about carriers are about the Vo'quv, so would it be acceptable to slightly nerf the Vo'quv and buff the Kar'fi? It would still keep carriers viable but it would be an equal choice between the Vo'quv and the Kar'fi.

Any thoughts?
I think the Kar'fi definitely needs a buff. One Lt. engineering officer and 2 engineering consoles, combined with the fact that it's a fairly slow-moving bloated beast means it's very squishy. You can counter that to some extent by investing heavily in sci-based tanking abilities, but that means it really *has* to run high aux, which nullifies it's heavy bias towards tactical abilities.

At the very least, it should have 2 launch bays like the Vo'Quv does (to give it better dps when running low weapon power). Ideally, it would have a 3eng/3sci/3tac console configuration like the bop.

That said, I think the Varanus is an even poorer design, and should be looked at first.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 79
12-21-2010, 03:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoinitright View Post
Maybe it's just me, but i get better DPS out of a Kar-Fi, plus it turns like a cruiser, so i can stay with the fight. It's kinda like flying a Raptor/ Sci ship cross, with the best pets in the game, IMHO.
That said, it is crunchy.Maybe add an engi console. Or boost the shields.
I can usually take out good Vo'Qov pilots 1vs1.
My eng in a Vo'Quv can run full weapon power and easily out-dps my tac running full weapon power in a Kar'fi. And it has about 3x the tank on top of that. In any pug match, I generally pull top damage and healing in the Vo'Quv, while my tac is generally stuck in the middle of the pack in both.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:01 AM.