Lt. Commander
I started the Starbase 24 mission and wiped out all 8 of the enemy Klingons ships and then I was to exit the sector to where Starbase 24 is. I flew over, under and into it and NOTHING HAPPENS? huh? This mission doesn't work Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-20-2010, 08:42 PM
You have to destroy more then eight ships if I remember right, then when you do that, fly next to the starbase and you should see a button.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-20-2010, 08:46 PM
Zornow I have read most of your posts and I must say that I am enjoying them immensely. Keep em coming.
Lt. Commander
paria, it ain't fun learning without a full guide. I really believe a lot of these know it all players on here purchased a killer guide for STO and thats why they know so much.As for me, I'm not shelling out any money for a walkthru guide. I'll just learn the hard way.paria, I already restarted this game 3 times with a new character because of my mistakes and game glitches.It's enough to drive a preacher to drink,
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-21-2010, 10:00 AM
Zornow, I can't speak for anyone else but I did not purchase any guides. As a matter of fact I don't think there are even any to purchase. The biggest help is reading all the text that appears on your screen when playing the game. Make notes if you have to.

Don't worry about any mistakes you make, I guarantee they aren't gone to hurt you while you play the game. Just play through the missions, you'll learn as you go along. I guarantee that's how most of us can answer your questions.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-21-2010, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zornow
paria, it ain't fun learning without a full guide. I really believe a lot of these know it all players on here purchased a killer guide for STO and thats why they know so much.As for me, I'm not shelling out any money for a walkthru guide. I'll just learn the hard way.paria, I already restarted this game 3 times with a new character because of my mistakes and game glitches.It's enough to drive a preacher to drink,
LOL, there is NO guide book for STO, except what you read here on the forums. I really wish there was. Don't worry too much about the potential mistakes. We've ALL had to learn it the same way. There aren't any mistakes that you can make that cannot be fixed down the line. Even if you make a mistake in skill point allocation, you get a free respec token with every new rank. New gear can always be earned if you pick the wrong ones.

My advice, should you want it, is to stop re-starting the game. Play a character through to at least level 12. This will allow you to get a new ship and figure out some things. Accept the fact that there will be more questions as you level. Just come on to these boards to ask. That is what it is here for. Consider joining a fleet. Most of them will have very helpful people to ask for advice. I've been playing since beta, and I still have questions that come up when I play.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-21-2010, 01:30 PM
On ANY new MMO, realize the first character you make WILL be the one that it takes the longest to max out or get a good build on, because NO ONE really knows the ins and outs (or what fits with well with your playstyle until you've played through.

It's not like your average single player RPG where the game itself gives you more of a focused direction, etc.

Just realize that as you learn, you go back, respec (you get a full respec token with every major rank promotion (ie when you go from Lt. to Lt. Cmdr; Lt. Cmdr to Cmdr., etc.) so, if you've found something's not working for you - if you read about or think something will work better, respec into it.

The only time I EVER have restarted in an MMO is when I've picked a particular class of character; and found I REALLY dislike the class; but if you're just restarting everytime you feel you've messed up in a selection; no wonder you're getting frustrated. So, relax and realize you WILL make sub-optimal choices until you find a good build that works; and you will waste time, EC, etc. occassionally. But, that's all part of playing an MMO - finding what works for you.

As to doing missions - yes, don't always just 'click through' thinking you'll just get to the next stage. Take a little time to read about what you have to do, including any clues as to where you may want to go and look for an item, ship, objective, etc.; and make sure you've completed what you need to to get to the next stage.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-21-2010, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zornow
I wasn't trying to be rude and I'm sorry if I came off that way. I remember how frustrating it was at first, constantly second guessing myself. But I promise you this, once you've got it "all figured out" and you have that great ship and it's all maxed out, you will look back and realize that the learning was a big part of the fun.
" It's more about the journey then the destination. "
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-21-2010, 04:08 PM
Every night before I go to bed I fall on bended knee and ask the Lord to deliever unto me a STO Sourcebook. For I stumble in this universe like a drunk, and find less hope than a Republican on the UC at Berkley campus. My days are filled with woe, and the Lord will not soften my burden.

So, Devs, throw me a damn bone, willya? Even that Mickey Mouse paint thing has a sourcebook.

If not for me, then for the kids. Or for your country. Whaever works.