Lt. Commander
# 11
12-21-2010, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
That I could see; especially the blacking out part. However, without naming the mission I played, I'll just say that the explosion and its effects were so supposedly so significant that it felt pretty anti-climatic.
If it's on Tribble, I'd try the mission "Bounty" - I believe this might be a better model of how to pull off something like that.

bear in mind, the limitations in the Foundry can require some very unique thinking to either overcome or fake a workaround.
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-21-2010, 10:02 PM
Yeah, the lack of a lot of common mission features is proving to be my undoing for a lot of the missions I'd like to make. I have certain plot elements that the story just doesn't work without, and "forcing" it would be a huge turnoff for me as a player. I did think to try putting in a dialog that pops up and says "We apologize for the inconvenience. This part of the story needs an expanded Foundry tool set. So here's what would have happened....".

Luckily, I decided not to do that.

I've avoided doing any work since I couldn't do what I wanted (warp in/out, disabling ships, having NPCs turn enemy or friendly). I finally decided to jump in and try to bash one into the Foundry's small shell, which means I had to switch things around. Instead of dead crew lying around the decks, they were instead vaporized, which the Science BO sadly reports. But that's more forcing me, not the player.
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-22-2010, 07:02 AM
Unfortunately We are left with few options other than using a text explanation for events that we cannot make actually happen... hoping players believe they actually take place. Not much choice at this time.
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-22-2010, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_BlownApart
Unfortunately We are left with few options other than using a text explanation for events that we cannot make actually happen... hoping players believe they actually take place. Not much choice at this time.
Well, the choice is to actually not do certain things at this time. Of course, thats a personal choice. I guess the main question I wanted to raise with this thread is what is the general consensus of the "line" between using little "tricks" to make things work, and actually "forcing" something that doesnt feel right.
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-22-2010, 10:21 AM
Well... I do have the item that was supposedly hit with an orbital strike appear on the next map as a bunch of pieces... so it can work...

I have my player place a transponder on the object, move to the next map, then my ship's chief engineer says "Commencing Orbital Strike" and my away team SCI officer says "Orbital Strike Confirmed". I try to re-enforce the dialog so the player believes it happened. Hopefully we'll be able to add effects like this at some time in the future.
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-22-2010, 02:36 PM
Forcing things to explode is mostly not possible yet...unless you want a ship to explode...that can be arranged

so you want a Klingon carrier to blow up...without engaging it

use a place marker in story to trigger it's spawn in....take a weak klingon mob...place #1 where
you want the carrier to blow...skin it as a klink carrier...place any other weak klingon mob actors
out of view range

take a fed dreadnaught mob...stick it right behind the 'carrier'....( the lowest number) skin it as a shuttle
skin any of the other fed actors as shuttles as well, place them well outta range

the scene is set

you reach the place marker...tiny shuttle spawns in behind 'carrier' and 1 shots him..boom
not a perfect way to do it and you will need to fiddle with it to trigger right.

but possible
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-22-2010, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherfungus View Post
Forcing things to explode is mostly not possible yet...unless you want a ship to explode...that can be arranged

so you want a Klingon carrier to blow up...without engaging it

use a place marker in story to trigger it's spawn in....take a weak klingon mob...place #1 where
you want the carrier to blow...skin it as a klink carrier...place any other weak klingon mob actors
out of view range

take a fed dreadnaught mob...stick it right behind the 'carrier'....( the lowest number) skin it as a shuttle
skin any of the other fed actors as shuttles as well, place them well outta range

the scene is set

you reach the place marker...tiny shuttle spawns in behind 'carrier' and 1 shots him..boom
not a perfect way to do it and you will need to fiddle with it to trigger right.

but possible
Thats pretty clever!
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherfungus View Post
the scene is set

but possible
I dunno, I think I'd skin the mob as a Mine... seems less suspicious that way
Lt. Commander
# 19
12-23-2010, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
I dunno, I think I'd skin the mob as a Mine... seems less suspicious that way
or anything really small

one of the most powerful things in foundry is the ability to reskin any mob

it can turn a Federation battleship into a FRIENDLY Klingon Carrier
It can make the impossible hard into a fragile easy
it can allow a federation player to walk the halls of the Romulan homeworld safe from attack

Reskinning is powerful buju

Meow