Lt. Commander
# 1 The Iconians, really?
12-26-2010, 02:44 PM
Ok, so i've not played this in months. Mildly pleased that a lot of concent has been added to the RA5 level then compared to when i quit back in March. I've been playing through some Pelia sector missions and ran across something that I just gotta make a comment about.

The Iconians... WHY?!

This was a peaceful race (TNG: Contagion) that was conquered by a bunch of primitive barbarian races because their technology to travel between worlds appeared to be much like magic. Their entire race was decimated and rendered extinct 500,000 years before the federation was even founded. Why are they "returning" and where are they "returning from", obliviion? How has this super-peaceful race that was considered to be an ancient predacessor of the Federation (DS9: To The Death) suddenly a bunch of blood-thirsty maniacs?
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-26-2010, 02:49 PM
Maybe they where nicknamed Daemons of Air and darkness for a reason?
Or the peaceful stuff was just left over propaganda?
Besides we never had hard canon that they are extinct, just not around anymore.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-26-2010, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by count23 View Post
This was a peaceful race (TNG: Contagion) that was conquered by a bunch of primitive barbarian races because their technology to travel between worlds appeared to be much like magic. Their entire race was decimated and rendered extinct 500,000 years before the federation was even founded. Why are they "returning" and where are they "returning from", obliviion? How has this super-peaceful race that was considered to be an ancient predacessor of the Federation (DS9: To The Death) suddenly a bunch of blood-thirsty maniacs?
I -just- watched Contagion and I take a few issues with what you've said, and I have to correct it based on the way I see the situation.

First off, the Iconian Civilization was thought by many to be a myth until the USS Yamato made her famous(and sadly final) discoveries. And as such much hard data about them was lacking and replaced by conjecture and speculation. There's no indication one way or the other that they were a peaceful race, that was a guess by Picard. And saying the entire race was decimated too is very premature, as their technology in the episode makes it entirely likely (as was stated by Picard) that they most likely outfoxed their attackers and fled when their world was under attack.

Also 500,000 years is a -very long time-. If anything at all surpises me, it's that they haven't changed. The only thing I can think that would explain it is if they did some massive travel across the galaxy and did so at relativistic speeds. 500k years would pass for us, but not for them depending on the speed they were goin(outside of a warp bubble of course, that magically negates relativity).
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-26-2010, 03:41 PM
The simple truth is that in canon we don't have a lot of information about the Iconians. That makes them perfect for STO: the game can take them and make them whatever Cryptic and CBS wants them to be. And before we start waving all the canon flags let's keep that in mind: CBS is the one who decides whether or not any missions written by Cryptic are appropriate. Cryptic doesn't get to do whatever it wants to do.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-26-2010, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Historically the Iconians were generally described as a race of conquerors, though recently some scholars dispute this claim as a distortion perpetuated by species who feared and demonized their advanced technology, and eventually destroyed them
So there's two things to consider here:
1. History believes them to be conquerors. That means either they intentionally conquered people, or their actions came across as agressive.

2. 500,000 years is a long time. Look at how often Earth civilizations have changed. In 500,000 years, is it hard to believe that the Iconians haven't changed, or at least a group of them?
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-26-2010, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by count23 View Post
Ok, so i've not played this in months. Mildly pleased that a lot of concent has been added to the RA5 level then compared to when i quit back in March. I've been playing through some Pelia sector missions and ran across something that I just gotta make a comment about.

The Iconians... WHY?!

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Iconian

note in particular, this passage of the article:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memory alpha
Historically the Iconians were generally described as a race of conquerors, though recently some scholars dispute this claim as a distortion perpetuated by species who feared and demonized their advanced technology, and eventually destroyed them. It has been speculated that not all of the Iconians perished in the attacks, but rather used their gateways to escape to other worlds.
In other words: it is uncertain whether the Iconians were really a race of conquerors and whether or not they really were killed in the orbital bombardment of Iconia.

What we DO know for certain is they used their gateways to travel without the use of ships. Their reputation as demons of air and darkness tells me they werent exactly peaceful, no matter what is argued.