Lt. Commander
Greetings Captains!

We will be bringing down Star Trek Online on Thursday, December 30th from 3 AM to 5 AM PST (11 AM to 1 PM UTC) in order to perform maintenance. We will update this thread once the maintenance has been completed.

Thank you,
The Star Trek Online Team
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-29-2010, 08:21 PM
And here I was thinking 6 months on that Cryptic had become considerate enough to not constantly plan scheduled outages during Australia's peak play periods. What a fool I was...
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-29-2010, 08:37 PM
It's not like there's a time they can pick to do this that won't inconvenience a certain time zone or whatever. Some people apparently think Cryptic can just send the servers back through time for maintenance, to a time where people weren't actually playing the game.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-29-2010, 08:40 PM
Great, while you guys are at it can you fix my constant server disconnect everytime I try to do anything.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-29-2010, 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by count23 View Post
And here I was thinking 6 months on that Cryptic had become considerate enough to not constantly plan scheduled outages during Australia's peak play periods. What a fool I was...
They should what, schedule them during a time when 10 times as many people are on?
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-29-2010, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermistshadow View Post
It's not like there's a time they can pick to do this that won't inconvenience a certain time zone or whatever. Some people apparently think Cryptic can just send the servers back through time for maintenance, to a time where people weren't actually playing the game.
There was this discussion a long time ago, and the resulting conclusion was to roll the time that updates would occur, and everyone seemed happy with that. Not that anyone wtih actual power here cared or anything.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-29-2010, 09:55 PM
they could wait for the weekend....
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-29-2010, 10:18 PM
For better or for worse, well over 90% of the maintenance periods are from 3 AM to 5 AM PST (11 AM to 1 PM UTC). This is not a new phenomenon.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-29-2010, 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmick View Post
they could wait for the weekend....
Better to do maintenance when they would be fully staffed with support personnel and devs on hand to deal with any issues that don't work as planned. Then if there is unexpected downtime or bugs introduced, it is a faster response time to fix, and fewer players inconvenienced than having an entire weekend outage.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-29-2010, 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightops25 View Post
Better to do maintenance when they would be fully staffed with support personnel and devs on hand to deal with any issues that don't work as planned. Then if there is unexpected downtime or bugs introduced, it is a faster response time to fix, and fewer players inconvenienced than having an entire weekend outage.
Of course, it could also be considered by several consumer complaints commissions to be a failure to deliver what was promised to customers if there is a regular disruption to service content providing on a regular basis not clearly defined to the customer when the subscription was first purchased. Normally a company would be in a lot of legal trouble for pulling crap like that.

Not to mention, no apologies, no recompence for the denial of service, just completely ignoring that anyone in the pacific region gets a large chunk of time where what they are promised is not provided. Why are we paying as much for our subscriptions as hte US when we have regular service outages in the middle of primetime... ESPECIALLY since our AUD is worth more then the USD is right now, and climbing.