Lt. Commander
# 11
12-30-2010, 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by apt.pupil
OH MY FLIPPIN GAWD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that could be what is causing my ground crashes on my 4850.

I have gone through many a troubleshooter ticket, and got told to turn everything to default. when that failed, i dropped it below default manually, and voila.

I wanted tot est exactly what was causing it, but I ran out of patience.

My only problem now is that my settings are locked on tribble. I have very little access to grapichs settings
Tick the box to show advanced graphic settings to unlock everything.
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-30-2010, 06:43 AM
Sounds like a terrible problem... My PNY NVidia handles the dynamic lighting without much trouble... I believe I have it set at 5... I can see when it overloads and drops a particular effect but I never crash from graphic issues. I tried to cram a bunch of stacked dynamic lighting effects in most of my missions in order to test the limits. I have a Feklrhi Captain 3 encounter and can understand why you are having troubles... those guys use a lot of effects.

I also have used multiple race costumes for single and grouped encounters with Devidians, Feklhri, Borg, Changeling, Breen, Hirogen, Klingon, Reman, Naussican, Orion & Undine - However these were just skins over Reman Lieutenant Groups - So they did not use their original animations or FX but still functioned for me with no troubles.

It's unfortunate that you cannot see these FX and get crashes all the time and cannot see the wonderful Dynamic Lighting FX that are available... I hate to say it... but have you considered a Video Card Change?

If you are Serious about this particular game and Creating and Enjoying Spectacular Content - Perhaps that would be an easier Fix then waiting for a long standing problem to be fixed by a distant manufacturer or even less likely a re-vamp of STO FX from Cryptic.

It may be worth noting that I did melt my first NVidia Card shortly after Joining STO... I just went and bought a better one... not top of the line either & have been fine for 8 months or so... I have even considered upgrading my current one to avoid dropping any Dynamic Lighting FX as I can get some dropped frames going on easily in a combat scenario such as the end of Klingon Scout Force or Fighting in space around Defera.
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-30-2010, 05:43 PM
I don't know if Cryptic can fix this bug or not, but I do know that they can identify ATI cards and probably disable the Dynamic Lighting option on an ATI card unless the user specifically wishes to enable it..
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-30-2010, 08:19 PM
Well... I should not have said anything... I'm all jerky now... Arrgghhh... gonna try a reboot and see what's up...

Well I did some neglected maintenance and got a new driver for my Nvidia Geforce 9400 GT... finally got it to where it is playable again... but lots of processing is just off... made me wonder how much for a new one... $560... ouch... I guess it will have to wait... maybe someday... cleaned up my desktop and optimized everything... Detail seemed improved... gonna try a new factory driver tomorrow & will post up if anyone cares...

Installed new factory driver and was pleased... the only thing I left off was shadowing, bloom, lens flare, depth of field? and underwater. The graphics on tribble seem much improved now...
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-31-2010, 12:35 PM
I have no luck reproducing this myself with my ATI card. But this doesn't seem to be a Foundry issue anyway, since it also occurs outside of Foundry content. :\
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-31-2010, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroniusRex View Post
I have no luck reproducing this myself with my ATI card. But this doesn't seem to be a Foundry issue anyway, since it also occurs outside of Foundry content. :\
You're right, this isn't a Foundry issue, but I only discovered it because I crammed so many effects into one corridor on one ship-interior map. I probably should've just placed this in the normal bug threads. Sorry