Lt. Commander
# 21
12-22-2010, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrangian View Post
Liar! We need canoids - specifically we need the Children of San Tarah
Dude those books are AWESOME! I loved them and would love to see some of the stuff from the books brought into STO!!! It is a real shame he (the writer) can not do more books
Lt. Commander
# 22
12-22-2010, 01:26 PM
Quote:
But on the other hand, the Cryptic writers already prooved with Cardassians joining forces with Jem Hadar after the Cardassian genouide or Orions in alliance with Klingons that the simply have no Idea how things work in star trek, I dont believe they even watched the Series. Or they simply do not understand it.
I call baloney.

First of all, I have read countless posts that prove the devs are Trek fans and they do "get it". Some are more knowledgable than others, but none of them are ignorant. They watched Trek shows as inspiration for developing the game.

They have pretty much explained how the Jem Hadar came to fight for the True Way. They are warriors who broke free from the Founders' control and they basically sold their services to a group that keeps them employed as fighters. They also have no reason to love the Federation, a trait shared by the True Way. If anyone thinks that such as Gul Dukat or those who belonged to the Obsidian Order wouldn't stoop to using the Jem Hadar to get what they want, then I have to wonder how much Trek they have watched.

As to the Orions, it has long been established in Trek continuity that the Orions are known for piracy. They are at heart a mercenary folk. With the Federation threatening to put them out of business, why wouldn't they ally with a powerful faction that opposes the Federation? Not that I don't suspect that the Orions are equal-opportunity opportunists that will turn on the Empire when it suits them to do so. (My apologies to the Orions)
Lt. Commander
# 23
12-22-2010, 04:08 PM
Ferengi would only be useful for testing the edge of our blades and Pakleds would only find a place in the Empire as cattle to feed to our Targs.

Other than that, they are only faceless speed bumps in our attempts to expand through the quadrants.
Lt. Commander
# 24
12-24-2010, 04:42 AM
I don't see either the Ferengi or Pakleds as being potential KDF. The Children of San Tarah though, they would definitely work.
Lt. Commander
# 25
12-29-2010, 02:18 AM
I don't think the Ferengi could even pass KDF's rigorous combat training to begin with. That would make as much sense as Steve Urkel joining the KDF!
Can you imagine the kind of practical jokes they would be subjected to? (Think the stuff from Burger King's "Kingon Defese Academy" ads, but worse, and maybe a bit bloody.)

The Ferengi Alliance is allied with the UFP, but independent Ferengi merchants are still allowed to trade with the Klingons and thier allies as evidenced by Daimon Mok (assuming they can get away with it)
Lt. Commander
# 26
12-31-2010, 02:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
I call baloney.

First of all, I have read countless posts that prove the devs are Trek fans and they do "get it". Some are more knowledgable than others, but none of them are ignorant. They watched Trek shows as inspiration for developing the game.

They have pretty much explained how the Jem Hadar came to fight for the True Way. They are warriors who broke free from the Founders' control and they basically sold their services to a group that keeps them employed as fighters. They also have no reason to love the Federation, a trait shared by the True Way. If anyone thinks that such as Gul Dukat or those who belonged to the Obsidian Order wouldn't stoop to using the Jem Hadar to get what they want, then I have to wonder how much Trek they have watched.
They explained that very bad, wich I cant blame them for because you simple CANT explain such thing good. The Jem Hadar/ Dominion didnt just offend the Cardassians a little bit or steal them a lolipop. They startet to ERASE the ALL Cardassians!!! Do you know what Genozide even IS? Thats nothing you forget after 40 years or put aside for pragmatism. And the True way an extreme "pro cardassian" faction with an racism background, the probably ONLY positive thing you can say about that kind of people ist that they wouldnt allie with people who tried to exterminate the whole race.

The only reason why that alliance is IN the game is because Cryptic wantet to give the DS9 fans a combination of enemys similar to the Dominion war, wich is not a bat intention. But, for story telling, after what happened in "what you leave behind", it simply can NEVER work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
As to the Orions, it has long been established in Trek continuity that the Orions are known for piracy. They are at heart a mercenary folk. With the Federation threatening to put them out of business, why wouldn't they ally with a powerful faction that opposes the Federation? Not that I don't suspect that the Orions are equal-opportunity opportunists that will turn on the Empire when it suits them to do so. (My apologies to the Orions)
In Star Trel continuity Orions wre pirate THREEHUNDRET YEARS AGO!!!!
In "newer" Star Trek ****inuity they were not known for piracy, they were known to be simple Mafia-like criminals. With methods that are the EXACT opposite that Klingons call "honorable". Not much thinking in that; they simply wantet an "evil" faction, so they thought that would fit. But Klingons are not not "evil" they have just another Moral Code wich is VERY VERY important to them. The Orion Syndicate (remember the Orion Homeworld is fed Terretory and concerning the way to 2409 the Syndicate is the allied not the whole race) are featured (and where always featured) with an especial lack of any moral.
Lt. Commander
# 27
12-31-2010, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstAngelus View Post
The Jem Hadar/ Dominion didnt just offend the Cardassians a little bit or steal them a lolipop. They startet to ERASE the ALL Cardassians!!!
The Dominion. Not the Jem'Hadar per se. They are merely a tool, a physical embodyment of the Dominon's military might. A pact with the Jem'Hadar would surely put a lot of Cardassians off, but all of them? No. And if those "do what it takes" people happen to be in the True Way leadership, there's your explanation.

You've got to remember who got the Cardassians into the genocide situation in the first place. That's right - the Central Command, the very same people who now make up many of the True Way supporters. By your logic they would have to hate themselves, too. Obviously the True Way is capable of seeing past the pawns (like their own leaders) and reserve their hatred for the Founders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstAngelus View Post
In Star Trel continuity Orions wre pirate THREEHUNDRET YEARS AGO!!!!
In "newer" Star Trek ****inuity they were not known for piracy, they were known to be simple Mafia-like criminals. With methods that are the EXACT opposite that Klingons call "honorable". Not much thinking in that; they simply wantet an "evil" faction, so they thought that would fit. But Klingons are not not "evil" they have just another Moral Code wich is VERY VERY important to them. The Orion Syndicate (remember the Orion Homeworld is fed Terretory and concerning the way to 2409 the Syndicate is the allied not the whole race) are featured (and where always featured) with an especial lack of any moral.
Uh, no.

First off, we haven't really seen Orions in newer continuity. Secondly, the Syndicate already existed in Enterprise, so I suggest that they simply haven't changed that much. Which is actually maintained by all sources we have on Orions in newer continuity, which sadly happens to be soft canon stuff only. But it's better than nothing, so here goes:

ENT: While the star-spanning Syndicate is (as always) in operation during this era, Earth and Starfleet seem like penny-ante tin-star smalltimers. Orions may take Humans for what they can get, but probably neither know nor care about Humanity's up-and-coming galactic prominence.

TOS: Once the Federation forms, the Orions see a lucrative interplanetary market. They engage in everything from slave trading to the outright seduction of Starfleet captains. Unfortunately, the Federations high-minded ideals place them staunchly against the Orions, who have a few missteps and have to learn the hard way that Starfleet isn't a pushover any more.

TNG: Following the Khitomer Accords, the Orions become much less prominent, probably because the powerful Federation Starfleet keeps Syndicate operatives on the run. During this period the Syndicate reevaluates its estimation of the burgeoning Federation, trying to find ways to turn the hundreds of worlds into dens of Orion larcency. They have very limited success.

DS9: Orion operations suffer so much during the Federation's expansion that by the late 24th century, they become directly antagonistic to the Federation. Orions in this era not only engage in smuggling right under the nose of Starfleet officials but also engineer important assassinations, all in an attempt to influence Federation policy. When the Dominion War breaks out, the Orions remain low-key - regardless of who wins, there will always be a black market.

This is taken directly from the Decipher books, by the way.

Other soft canon books also point out that the Orions have had a very long and rather flourishing relationship with the Klingon Empire. If you want to read more about this, you may find some insights in this Orion guide, which is a compilation of all canon and soft canon sources I was able to find on the subject.

Also, you seem to have missed the fact that the Orions have vacated their resource-stripped homeworld in favor of moving to a planet within Klingon space:

2394: On Stardate 71283.12, Melani D'ian meets J'mpok in person on Ter'jas Mor. After four days of negotiations, the two agree to sign a non-aggression and mutual defense pact. In exchange for the Syndicate's allegiance, the Klingon Empire will provide them with ships and weapons. In addition, Melani D'ian further agreed to share technology and information with the Klingons in exchange for a planet in Klingon space that the Orions can rule as a vassal state.

The Federation Council condemns the new alliance as support for criminals, and Starfleet Command vows to continue pursuing and shutting down Syndicate operations in Federation space. Starfleet reports show that Syndicate traffic has increased significantly since Melani D'ian seized control. Melani has ruthlessly purged anyone she deems untrustworthy, and fused the remaining Orions into a unified organization that answers to her alone. As a gift to celebrate their new alliance, Melani sends 1,500 Orion women to be servants in the Great Houses on Qo'noS. Melani herself settles into an estate on Ter'jas Mor, and the remaining Orions still on the Orion homeworld make plans to emigrate by the end of the year.

From the Path to 2409.

In short, your info on Orions seems to be a bit off.