Lt. Commander
# 81
12-08-2010, 03:47 AM
Ugh, I'm so tired of all the "ASK CRYPIC" questions. Every so often they grace us with answers to stuff people have already asked and been answered on. When will there be some REAL questions?

As for voice chat in-game, MUST HAVE. It's stupid that it's not even in the game yet. I'm sick of swapping from Ventrillo, to Teamspeak and then to Mumble or Paltalk or SKype or Yahoo or some other bloody freaking voice program. There are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many freaking voice chat programs out there and I only named the most popular ones and that's too many. Add in-game voice and get rid of the annoyance once and for all.
Lt. Commander
# 82 Questions
12-08-2010, 05:32 AM
I think it is way to hard to get questions answered around here with cryptic!! Even if one does get onto "ask Cryptic" they only have a very small chance of having their questions answered....
Lt. Commander
# 83
12-08-2010, 05:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick-K
As for voice chat in-game, MUST HAVE. It's stupid that it's not even in the game yet. I'm sick of swapping from Ventrillo, to Teamspeak and then to Mumble or Paltalk or SKype or Yahoo or some other bloody freaking voice program. There are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many freaking voice chat programs out there and I only named the most popular ones and that's too many. Add in-game voice and get rid of the annoyance once and for all.
They did that in WoW, it sucked, and it wasn't worth the memory it used. No one uses it because the out of game voice chat systems work better.
Lt. Commander
# 84
12-08-2010, 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrefang View Post
They did that in WoW, it sucked, and it wasn't worth the memory it used. No one uses it because the out of game voice chat systems work better.
That's because they did it wrong.
I've worked as a programmer for years before I quit to work a more labor intensive job. Programmers never move up in a company ever.

Now let me get down to the point. It's very easy to implement a voice carrier into the game without sacrificing performance. The developers of the program "Ventrilo" did the job right, but they closed the source to these magnificent memory saving bits. The secret to this awesomeness was to implement awesome options but keep the interface very very simple. The program is so light weight because of the interface and the fact that it borrows the already existing codecs (example: Speex, GSM). It also borrows effects and other features from resources already available in Windows such as Direct X (ie: Direct Sound).

You don't have to make the program do everything, just allow it to borrow from what is already there. The game already calls up these resources so everything needed is already loaded and using resources anyways. So allow it one more thread of information to process and to lift some of the load, dim the surrounding sound processing. Works great cause you can't hear your friends talking when the game music or sound effects over power the voice anyways.

BAM, problem solved.

Dear Crypic.
Use this how you wish. I'll be available to assist you with this if you need it. Remember, I already have a real job. I'm not looking for a new one.
Lt. Commander
# 85
12-09-2010, 07:17 AM
Quote:
With the Foundry, mission replay and Season 3 overall releasing, Star Trek Online is starting to really become the game quite a lot of fans wished from launch.
It is? So, we can fly our ships via our bridge and not a 3rd person space god's eye view of a tiny ship? We can interact with our crew? We can actually explore unexplored areas of space and discover new worlds or do we still just go to tiny "unexplored space" instances and do the "find 5 anomalies, kill five guys" cookie cutter missions? Can we adjust the settings of our ships in engineering? Can we use the bridge consoles?

So far, I see nothing that we wished for at launch. Just saying that it is doesn't, "make it so."

*note to prospective flamers* Flame on, tell us how much no one wanted all that and how much better the game is the way it is now instead -after all, feedback like that is what helped make STO the drab, repetitive, very-not-star-trek experience it is now...
Lt. Commander
# 86
12-09-2010, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyyy View Post
This .Sry but this is just to funny. There was no big PvP update in seasong 2, only a hud fix.No one would call
privat match option a real PvP update.How many KDF players left when seasong 2 launch and PvP queues broke down, 25 % ?

Seasons 4 ? thats in april and only for ground thats really bad, you really think players gonna stick with salvage for 1 whole more year ? my god.

PvP in story updates ? , taking some stuff from TOR flashpoints are we ?.When will this come, seasong 5-6 maybe one year.

Epic fail again Cryptic.You will maybe give STO a new PvP map in 6 to 12 month .

This right here is why most PvP players left STO after launch, a gaming company that cares nothing about PvP but only caters to PvE players.And this is why players leave this game everyday.You just cant take a hint do you, Wasn't the mass exodus after launch a clue. And when you see how small every seasong update is, its clear you dont got many people working on the updates.

And your gonna wipe kerrat the only "open" PvP zone in this game, And i guess your not gonna put in a new one.
The problem is this: Are you conna come up with the money and extra manpower to get this up and running? If not they have to decide what to work on and how to get it done.

Plus newsflash to you sir: PvE players who are Trekkies are who they are catering to. THEY are the ones who are there supporting and encouraging the growth and development of the game. PvP, is fun as hell BUT it is NOT the focus of this game, it should and deserves fixes to streamline it, but dont fool oursevles into thinking that this is a serious PvP game. When I joined 6 months ago it struck me as a PvE game with PvP elements, and I fully accepted that.

Also the mass exodus was due to a chunk of people who ripped thru the content thinking "WoW" level like content when the game would take years to approach that. I know this cause I personally know 5 guys who ripped thru the whole game and said exacly that, for which my answer was this " WoW didnt have that much content in the first 2 years as it does now..So why would you think this game would? Unless you have millions of dollars and lots of manpower to work on churning out content it takes time."

Keep on Trucking Cryptic looking foward to more stuff from you and I am happy with what I have to play with.

At least YOU guys have a game to play with, Battletech is being held hostage by HG and I have no clue if it will ever see the light of day
Lt. Commander
# 87 Create Content
12-10-2010, 07:31 PM
How do you create a content it really confuses me?
Lt. Commander
# 88 Want to talk to you.
12-13-2010, 07:55 PM
Can I talk one on one with a desiner of star trek online. any one. I have some good ideas but i dont think there being heard. so u can Email me at seanbuck9@yahoo.com. pleas do so. fast. or any other ways of comunication.
Lt. Commander
# 89 Purchase Crew
01-04-2011, 08:44 PM
An Idea that would seem to have been scratched in the Q & A section is buying actual crew members for one's ship, rather than just having 900 or so generic crew members.

I got the collector's edition STO version, and the booklet that came with it said that on the crew status bar, white crew members were active, orange were down but not out, and black were dead. apparently this isn't the case, as a completely black bar can turn white in a matter of minutes.
I think it would be interesting to add that concept in game. perhaps black should rather mean "out of commission" at least until a greater deal of time had passed, or a starbase had been visited. Although it might not be very..."appealing", it would be "More Like Trek" if crew members (not Boffs, but generics) could actually die. that is, the death rate should be extremely low, and only occur under extremely brutal circumstances. If this happened, the bar should turn red to represent crew members who were permanently gone until new ones could be bought at starbase.

On top of this, I am looking forward to "Chief Engineers" etc. I would luv to be able to select a specific Sick Bay medical staff, Chief medic, nurses, scientists, etc... I also look forward to building my engine room crew. IMO, how this should work is; depending on the rank and abilites/race of the crew, performance of ship should be affected accordingly. Care should be taken here, as it would be lame to have a sick bay full of commanders... crew members should earn their rank by long, hard work. not just by an away mission or 2.

The possibilities here are nearly endless. I think of a possible Astrometric's lab with crew accordingly (like 7of9 in VOY. she always seemed to be in the astrometrics lab) Also I think of weapon rooms like in TOS. there were phaser rooms and I think torpedo rooms. Crew members here could be selected for slightly increased ship performance.

Holographic crew members would also be awesome to have. perhaps they could have a faster recovery time, but slightly less performance status. Or, having too many holographic crew members could decrease ship power (holographs/decks/emitters drain an extreme amount of power as said by Ensign Kim.)

========================

I thank you for your continued efforts! I can't wait till S4 and beyond. Keep up the good work, Cryptic!!!