Lt. Commander
Why is the new Borg tech available only if you play in team missions (except the part given in "Assimilation")?

Essentially, it forces everyone to join a fleet. Why is that? Maybe someone doesn't want to. It's not the fact that I'd miss those parts, I do belong in a fleet and I am not so thrilled about those parts anyway. But what is the point of having them only if you complete those missions?

They could cost a lot of emblems, or they could be very expensive. Really, I never understood the idea of multiple currency, either! They could also be available if you complete PvP engagements.

The beauty of an MMO game is that you can do whatever you want, any time you want, and still be able to have all the tech/upgrades/artifacts. Devs shouldn't force players to choose between solo play and fleets, or team missions and scripted missions.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-05-2011, 01:43 PM
First off: It dosen't force Anyone to join a fleet... It forces people to join a team, and with any luck, they will only have to join a team once.

This is a MMO, and as such there will be elements that will require multiplay or giving up on thoose items. Theese items are just the first of many of such things I suspect, so rather than fighting it, i'd suggest embracing it and finding a few in-game freinds who you know can do some teamplay that you can refer to whenever theese appear.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-05-2011, 02:52 PM
As a casual player- No

People who do the STF's and complete them should be rewarded. With special stuff. Because they worked hard for them.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-05-2011, 03:43 PM
If you want cool looking equipment without doing the STFs, you can get the Aegis set anyway. But STF players deserve the reward for their work
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-05-2011, 03:47 PM
The cure and KA are bugged....

That said, they are completely doable with a competent team and a bit of luck. I pugged and lead Infected, the cure and KA.

I actually did the cure on VA, imho...hardest of the 3 by a mile. I supplied hypos and repel guns to the group, forced my sci friend to heal and we rocked it out pretty good. (so glad we had someone that did it before, never would've figured a sci could b-slap the final boss, hold aggro and not get owned.)

KA was pure common sense...first time through, I was able to lead the pug through without any frustrating parts. I didn't encounter any bugs or issues (although myself and an experienced player were aware of them) This stf is a tad challenging when your leading but have to figure things on your own but it is so well put together and fun...it is by far my favorite mission to do.

The stfs can be completed on RA to get the borg loot... so really...everyone has access to it, be it casual or hardcore...it is really only the cure that can stop a group in its tracks due to the bugs that one can encounter.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-05-2011, 03:48 PM
I totally suk at the STF's, I have never managed to complete one-im just not any good at killing gound opponents, im a medic and its difficult for me to keep up with healing everyone and staying alive. That being said I wouldnt want to just recieve the borg set, even though im horrendous at the STF's it gives me something to shoot for (that and the borg boff from KA, when i get there). Kudos to the people that can do the STF's cuz they are not easy, u guys have earned the gear that u deserve.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-05-2011, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaCat
I totally suk at the STF's, I have never managed to complete one-im just not any good at killing gound opponents, im a medic and its difficult for me to keep up with healing everyone and staying alive. That being said I wouldnt want to just recieve the borg set, even though im horrendous at the STF's it gives me something to shoot for (that and the borg boff from KA, when i get there). Kudos to the people that can do the STF's cuz they are not easy, u guys have earned the gear that u deserve.
I'll drink to your health for that
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Basically, becuase not everyone needs to have everything - these are rewards for specific tasks. There needs to be more fo this to add some variety/path in play. Same argument for the Aegis set at the end of the crafting tree (ps I don't have the Borg Set and am not in a fleet :p).
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-05-2011, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitris_Botonis
The beauty of an MMO game is that you can do whatever you want, any time you want, and still be able to have all the tech/upgrades/artifacts. Devs shouldn't force players to choose between solo play and fleets, or team missions and scripted missions.
That's the beauty of solo game, actually. In MMOs, it has been pretty traditional that there are different difficulties of content that require a team effort to obtain better loot. You know, things that encourage those multiple players to actually interact. Something that on the whole, STO lacks.

That said, the STFs need some work. Most people do not find them fun, even if they know how to do them. To much filler, not enough meat. Additionally, it is relatively unrewarding beyond the first success. This is due in large part because STO itemization system needs a revamp.

Between these two factors, it is hard to find people to run these things with, even though they are the supposed end game. Doubly so if you are Klingon. And it means you tend to wind up with a few groups of people that actually enjoy doing them, who typically do them with a relatively set group of people and pugs, which consist for a large part of people that don't really know how to do them or don't want to take the responsibility of leading a group.

In short, the problem isn't that there is group content, but rather that there isn't more and that it isn't worth doing (beyond once per character).
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-05-2011, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitris_Botonis
I agree with Axzterix and added some of my own opinion

You totally have it wrong man. MMORPG stands for massively MULTI-player online role playing game. Key word being multi...you play with multiple players. If you want a game that is all about solo play but has the capacity to allow a friend to join in, try games like tales of symphonia (oldie but it is pretty fun) and games of the like.

MMO's are all about playing with other people, there may be "solo content" but that's only to help keep the player entertained until end game.

I agree with Axzterix and added some of my own opinion