Lt. Commander
# 51 Congratulations
01-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Congratulations on a job well done Cryptic!

I've played a fair few MMO's and STO is by far the most prolific when it comes to updates, improvements and new content. I get so easily bored of the others!

You got a lifetime player in me!

J.
Lt. Commander
# 52
01-05-2011, 04:42 PM
I disagree that these awards are meaningless... To be frank, someone had to win it, and it was STO, I say so much the better.

The truth is, with STO winning, the negative view is "Well, the contest was crap, so the award was meaningless." If STO hadn't won, these same people would be saying, "See? STO couldn't even win an award in this small poll..." So, either STO wins and the poll is crap, or STO loses and they suck for not even placing?

Frankly, personal interpretation of the merits of the awards notwithstanding, STO won! And even if one were to disbelieve that the voting was based solely on the quality of the game (granted, I almost choked when I saw that we won for "Best Crafting..." This poll was taken before crafting was overhauled, no?) it's still a potent demonstration that we fans of the game are both ardent, present and willing to continue to support STO.

So I say, Kudos on the awards!
Lt. Commander
# 53
01-05-2011, 10:43 PM
Great job on dominating. Honestly, despite what everyone is saying about STO, it's a pretty darn good game for a just-launched (seriously, everyone keeps comparing it to games that are ranked best of the decade). As far as getting best categories for the comming decade, we've got a lot of time to get this game to best in show against the comming big names - I'm sure we'll do it.

Great job, and keep up the good work!
Lt. Commander
# 54 Congrats
01-05-2011, 11:03 PM
We trekkies can be a fickle bunch, and pleasing us is a task not for the faint of heart.

That said, I think the Cryptic team deserves a *huge* pat on the back for all the hard work (read: blood, sweat, and tears) they've put into STO. No, STO wasn't what it should have been at launch. Yes, there is still work to be done. But they're doing it. They're moving in the right direction, and I think STO has the potential to be one of the greats. And, based on what I've seen so far, I have faith in Cryptic and all the Devs. (Not to mention all the beta testers that are helping STO realize its potential.)

So, in the words of my boss after a major inspection, "Great work guys! Now let's get to work."
Lt. Commander
# 55
01-06-2011, 05:11 AM
Well I was a bit confused about "best launch" , i gotta be honest i dont think anyone including cryptic would dispute that the launch was poor at best. Still the MMO market is so fragile. Considering the launch and how many other titles just died before they got going there is some rationality with that result. It's kinda like the best fo the worst in terms of the launch.

That one thing aside I think the rest of the awarda are a testiment to WHY STO stayed online while the others fell. This game has gone from incomplete to being one hell of a game. If these improvements carry on then this game could easily move from most improved game, to one of the best mmo's on the market to date. I dont think that is an overstatement.

This game has really been turned around and contnues to get better. If it was the people here on the forums that got cryptic the results I see that as a fantastic turn around also. Considering at one time as a whole this was not a happy community. So to see people pull together to make this happen..AGAIN is a testiment to exactly how far this game has come. And i hope these results will get some people to come back, and get people who never considered playing this game t give it a try. STO is definaltely on the road map. Deservedly.

Cryptic, I hope you take some heart from this that all your effort and all the tornado like months you have had to try to fix this game have been worthwhile. YOU PULLED IT OFF!! Please PLEASE dont stop..keep going because I am actually excited now for next year and the year after! I am glad to be able to feel that. And that my llifetime sub was a gamble that paid off thanks to you commitment and refusal to give up.

Fantastic job! I think you guys have done great and this is recognition of that fact. And of the fact that in such a fickle mmo market, depsite the naysayers and the pressure you have shown you are not just in the market. You are BIG players now. Use it to springboard to even greater hieghts!

Well done and congratulations

** I would just like to add that for me, Dan dtashi Has been the biggest factor i noticed on face value. You honesty and totally candid approach to what was wrong and what needed to be sorted out and in what order. Your commitment to not only getting inloved BUT ACTUALLY LISTENING and answering even the uncomforfable questions ahs been fantastic. Both in words and actions it seemed to me that your drive steered this ship in the directuion it som badly needed. Thats said I take nothing away from the rest of staff you ALL deserved it. I just wanted to note that for me, dan was the big turning point
Lt. Commander
# 56
01-06-2011, 05:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekrit_Agent
I'll be "that guy" and point out the competition wasn't exactly Top of the Pops. I'll admit the game isn't completely abysmal but it won't make any Best X of the Decade lists in its current form.
you are right, but what does it say when all the studios offerdd such little competition? I think it just shows us how difficult making an even half decent mmo is in the current environment. Everyone wanted to cash in on wows success. As if just making an mmo was enough. Everyone wanted on the band wagon. Including some big names. They all failed abysmally. STOn could easily have been a casualty rather than a winner. Yep it has definatley been shaky. But huge progress was made. Everyone in the market had that same opportunity(and they didn't have the rediculously short developemt time cryptic had) and the other companies were unable to capitalise. Even on sto's very weak launch. They failed. Cryptic stayed a float. and now they have gone a step further and turned this into a game worth paying a sub for.

I agree it's not game of the decade. But IF cryptic could keep improving this game at the same pace and level they have doen to date..then they have a real chance of making this game one of the big hits for the decade to come. I really beleive that. because i saw a broken game turned into a really good one in less than a year.

It's up to cryptic, they just need to keep doing what they have done this last yeat..and things will get very special. I think "the old republic" is what everyone is looking to try. It's gonna make it tough..but cryptic needs to just focus on this thing here and not worry too much. I love the trailers for the old republic..but the gameplay doesn't look like a reinvention of mmo's OR of star wars games. It look all too familair I wonder if it has over hyped itself? Dont get me wrong i love a good star wars game..but the pressure is on for those guys to live up to all of this hype.

Anyways just my 2500 cents
Lt. Commander
# 57
01-06-2011, 06:33 AM
Some of the comments about the poll on that site are classic! :p

Congrats Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 58
01-06-2011, 07:04 AM
I am actually jaw dropped here, I am pinching myself, I am literally in a state of shock, please tell me that never happened, it's embarrasing, really embarrasing.

Cryptic have you actually got no shame at all? You publicise these awards weeks before on the top story of your news page and forum, provide a link for the fanboys to vote for your game in all categories, knowing that the vast majority will go and vote for you.

Then you have the blind cheek to create a song and dance about how great you all are for winning these totally undeserved awards.

Best crafting in an MMO - STO LMAO
Best launch of an MMO - STO ROFL
Best PvP - STO HAHAHA
Biggest suprise hit - STO LOL great hit, everyone left in April.
STO never won biggest dissapointment of 2010 when clearly it was...

Read the 115 comments attached to these clearly fixed results and you will see 115 angry people that clearly know STO does not deserve a single award. Cryptic knew this ofc that's why they would not dare allow the general MMO community to have the honest vote, they had to send in the fanboys to rig it.

Pathetic.
Lt. Commander
# 59 Earned or Not
01-06-2011, 08:21 AM
Despite the flaws STO has, the fact remains its community stepped up by continually showing support. I can't give an opinion about it's launch back in the beginning of 2010 (because I've only played for about 3 months), nor can I make comparisons to other MMORPGs (because STO is the first I've played). But over ten thousand votes were cast compared to those 115 complaints razing STO as "one of the worst & certainly undeserving of any award."

You can chuck it up to the "fanboys & girls of Star Trek," or a good move by the marketing department ... I look at it as a stupid poll that means nothing BUT showing STO has a strong community behind it. STO is young & always changing. That, combined with the fact that the developers ACTUALLY do what they can to give its players what they're looking for, is enough to show STO has the potential to be a major hit compared to so many other great games. As this game improves, its community will get stronger (which has been proven by new players joining & old players returning).

It's 2011 ... if STO stays on track, who's to say it won't be deserving of those awards & earn a top spot in the eyes of gamers in another year or two. Like many, I've been a fan of Star Trek since I was a child. Although, I personally feel, STO doesn't give Star Trek the justice it deserves at the moment, I am pleased at what STO has accomplished to date & do know it's on its way to giving the players (Us) a game that truly reflects what Star Trek is all about.
Lt. Commander
# 60 crazy
01-06-2011, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofantasy View Post
We trekkies can be a fickle bunch, and pleasing us is a task not for the faint of heart.

That said, I think the Cryptic team deserves a *huge* pat on the back for all the hard work (read: blood, sweat, and tears) they've put into STO. No, STO wasn't what it should have been at launch. Yes, there is still work to be done. But they're doing it. They're moving in the right direction, and I think STO has the potential to be one of the greats. And, based on what I've seen so far, I have faith in Cryptic and all the Devs. (Not to mention all the beta testers that are helping STO realize its potential.)

So, in the words of my boss after a major inspection, "Great work guys! Now let's get to work."

honestly i dont think so. what do they deserve a pat on the back for. providing what was suppose to be in the game in fed 2010. yeah sure. best pvp. hmmm only 4 space maps. yeah thats the best pvp. worst space replica ever. worst verterian awards ever, worst gimmick store ever. while i can respect your opinion lets respect the facts. the game is on life support. Despite some people as well as cryptic thinking that content will save its arse. let me be clear. it wont. You need an MMO to have function. function in the many attributes the game is suppose to have. gimmicks last only for so long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocDove
Great job on dominating. Honestly, despite what everyone is saying about STO, it's a pretty darn good game for a just-launched (seriously, everyone keeps comparing it to games that are ranked best of the decade). As far as getting best categories for the comming decade, we've got a lot of time to get this game to best in show against the comming big names - I'm sure we'll do it.

Great job, and keep up the good work!
lets not make up information. they won a few catagories and lost more then their fair share. for being a new mmo compared to no space mmos the game did not do its best. I compare this game to other space mmos and it looses. i also compare the company to other and they loose our right. you can try and trump but again when a website does not match or keep up with its game and the website is not updated to show its news of the game. there is a pretty bad outlook. it also is not profesional.