Lt. Commander
# 1 The Foundry
01-04-2011, 10:50 AM
Anyone know any possible time tables for the Foundry's Launch?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-04-2011, 12:21 PM
The Devs are discussing if they should release it to Holodeck or wait until after the next Foundry patch on Tribble. Basically there is no time table for it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-05-2011, 12:04 AM
Quick question about it: (I am too lazy to find the actual forum to ask about since I saw this post)

But with the Foundry, I will be able to create a mission MORE than kill 5 whatevers? I am wanting to do a direlict mission where as your ship discovers a missing ship, and your boarding party beam over to discover some strange stuff! Can I do something like that with it?
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-05-2011, 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore_Rook View Post
Quick question about it: (I am too lazy to find the actual forum to ask about since I saw this post)

But with the Foundry, I will be able to create a mission MORE than kill 5 whatevers? I am wanting to do a direlict mission where as your ship discovers a missing ship, and your boarding party beam over to discover some strange stuff! Can I do something like that with it?
Yes and no.

With the foundry as it is you can make some pretty linear missions that are straight forward. Shoot to kill, move from objective to objective, no failing, no timed stuff, no multiple conversation options, severely limited in faction options, no killing objects, and so on.

That said, players being players, they've invested considerable time in figuring out how to circumvent these limitations, how to abuse foundry functionality, to get closer to being able to make the stories they want to make. For example, there's a lot of missions out there with "enemy" factions all costumed as "friendly" factions, so that Klingons can fight KDF races in their missions. Sure, they fire phasers or plasma torps, but at least they look like Klingons.

So, yes, it is more than kill 5. Stories get told, players go from map to map, and so on. But no, there's still some pretty big limitations, a lot of things you see in Cryptic missions you cannot do. Or at least cannot do without fighting the system.

For your mission, it sounds doable. You'd start by sending the player to some system on some pretext. Then they'd zone onto a space map with a waypoint on an interactable object, your derelict ship. Interacting would trigger a map transition to the ship. That map you'd have placed other stuff in, your strange stuff,and interacting with that strange stuff would cause conversations. Maybe getting close to it would spawn enemies. That sort of thing.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-05-2011, 01:54 AM
Quote:

Map Transfers are definitely possible. So you can have a mission involving some dialog, space combat, a few scans, more dialog, a beam down to a planet, interactions, dialog, combat, transfer to another ground or space map and so on.

Currently we can't do things that would change the map, like removing/destroying objects or contacts. (Though it's possible to ensure that enemies only spawn once the player has achieved a specific part of the mission.). Nor can you give the player two different options that he can alternatively take (e.g. story branching), though you can give him two (or more) things to do at once he can do in any order he likes, and you can place enemies on the map without making them part of an objective, so they are a threat, but the players can ignore them (if he finds a way around them.)

Ultimately, the story will be linear, but you can have a lot more complex missions then what you see in a typical exploration mission.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-05-2011, 11:06 PM
Ok thanks guys! That does sound fun!!! I guess I will play a few others' missions first to get a taste of it then try my hand at them. Now I wonder if all the missions that have been made on Tribble, will transfer over to Holo? Or will those authors have to remake them?
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-05-2011, 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore_Rook View Post
Ok thanks guys! That does sound fun!!! I guess I will play a few others' missions first to get a taste of it then try my hand at them. Now I wonder if all the missions that have been made on Tribble, will transfer over to Holo? Or will those authors have to remake them?
I'm assuming they would have to be remade. There might be something set up to transfer them, but I haven't heard anything so I'm not 100% sure.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-05-2011, 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio View Post
I'm assuming they would have to be remade. There might be something set up to transfer them, but I haven't heard anything so I'm not 100% sure.
Remade is what the devs have said, yeah. They've advised backing up what you can in text files (for conversations and such), as what's on Tribble will not carry over to live.

Now, possibly if we get some means to copy/paste or import/export costumes and maps, that might make it possible to carry a few things over, but I wouldn't count on it.
Lt. Commander
# 9 Nexrt Patch
01-06-2011, 12:07 AM
Still has way to many bugs in it next pach is what I would put my money on.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-06-2011, 12:25 AM
Quote:
Don't make me think about this. For my Wolf 359 map (since we can't - at least not yet - use the one already in the game) I had to place 39 wrecks (and some consist of multiple parts).

And that might be one of the "average" maps at best. I have seen maps that genuinely amazed me on what kind of work the author put into it, doing stuff I have no how he pulled them off.

But I expect I'll have to redo all that.