Lt. Commander
# 61
01-06-2011, 09:29 AM
Well done guys! Ive been enjoying Star Trek Online a lot, especially since the launch of the newest content. There will always be room for improvement with any online game, but in the last year you have turned the experiance from good to great so i look forward to seeing what you have instore this year!

On a side note, i was involved in both the Final Fantasy 14 and DC Universe Online beta and the community support for both titles, and even after FF14s launch has been horrifc. I and several others pointed out potentially game breaking flaws ahead of time and where ignored, servers collapsed for days on end with nothing put on the forums to explain why. I think it stands testament to Cryptic that they are so community focused that i now find it unacceptable for anything but the level of service you guys provide to us. Keep talking to your fans, we do appreciate it ^_^
Lt. Commander
# 62
01-06-2011, 11:29 AM
so cryptic runs the competition?? or you mean by posting to get us from the forums to vote(the same system ALL of the other developers could and possibly did use) that makes it a fix? The playing feild was even dude.

And yeah not a great year for any mmo, but it was the best of what was there. Now if you want a game to continue improving you need to keep making money. So I think if cryptic were all modest and bashful and all self depreicative..then they could not attract more customers and the game dies off. would you do that in the name of chivalry?? I dont see that working as a business. I amdit I shouldn't be responding. And I realise you prolly think I am a fanboy..not that internet buzz words mean anything to me. But "Pathetic" is just a little sour. I dont see what shame has to do with anything here.

now if cryptic created a competition AND only allowed one entrant(them) tjat would be shameful.

People use the net to get thier name about, facebook, twitter..and people do it for far less profound endevours than STO.

look "@notuba
This happens every year across multiple sites. It's not which game is the best, it's which game can direct the most of its community to vote.

It was just a question of which game did it the best this year, which fell to STO. "

see this is a comment from the comments section for the poll. What i dont get here is what is the crime?? I dare say one year ago that this community would NOT have voted for STO? no? So the fact that they did this year and beat then other mmo's doing exactly the same thing means the community was reponsive. So they must be doing something right. ok i will butt out now.

I am not having a go at you mate, just giving an opposite opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 63
01-06-2011, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanagrah
I am actually jaw dropped here, I am pinching myself, I am literally in a state of shock, please tell me that never happened, it's embarrasing, really embarrasing.

Cryptic have you actually got no shame at all? You publicise these awards weeks before on the top story of your news page and forum, provide a link for the fanboys to vote for your game in all categories, knowing that the vast majority will go and vote for you.

Then you have the blind cheek to create a song and dance about how great you all are for winning these totally undeserved awards.

Best crafting in an MMO - STO LMAO
Best launch of an MMO - STO ROFL
Best PvP - STO HAHAHA
Biggest suprise hit - STO LOL great hit, everyone left in April.
STO never won biggest dissapointment of 2010 when clearly it was...

Read the 115 comments attached to these clearly fixed results and you will see 115 angry people that clearly know STO does not deserve a single award. Cryptic knew this ofc that's why they would not dare allow the general MMO community to have the honest vote, they had to send in the fanboys to rig it.

Pathetic.
Wow. I had to read this post twice to make sure I had read it right.

I fail to see how a company asking it's players to vote for their game in a player's poll constitutes "rigging" it. You might want to re-check your facts on the best crafting as well; "None of the Above" won, not STO. Everyone didn't leave in April; unfortunately, you're still here. (Why are you still here, by the way, if this game is such a disappointment to you?)

Also, you call the people who voted for STO "fanboys"; well, hate to break it to ya, hoss, but the people who voted for the other games are "fanboys" as well. It's not a bad thing that STO's players are more motivated than the other games' players are; it's a good thing.

As for your analysis of the comments, you must have simply glossed over the ones that weren't angry ones, because they all aren't. Again, it isn't Cryptic's fault that the "general MMO community" didn't vote for the other games. It's simply a sign that the players of those games couldn't be bothered to take two minutes of their time to fill out a simple poll.

STO winning some of the categories is pathetic? Not at all. Some people whining about a player's poll being fixed by "fanboys"? Absolutely pathetic.
Lt. Commander
# 64
01-06-2011, 04:52 PM
Best PVP really ? what a joke. Yes another unhappy PVPer. Just makes me sick that stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 65
01-06-2011, 05:02 PM
Youre kidding right?You guys won awards?NO WAY!How much arm twisting did you have to do to get those?EPIC FAIL!Has NONE noticed your membership has dropped to almost nothing compared to what it was?Do you guys not realize that you were sitting on a potential goldmine?,and that you dropped the ball?The name drew them in,the PVE and crap PVP drove them away,and will keep them away.I feel sorry for those who paid for a lifetime membership and only got 6 months use out of it,and only then because they were stubborn and willing to give you guys a chance that you never deserved.Enjoy!
Lt. Commander
# 66
01-06-2011, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemajELF View Post
Youre kidding right?You guys won awards?NO WAY!How much arm twisting did you have to do to get those?EPIC FAIL!Has NONE noticed your membership has dropped to almost nothing compared to what it was?!
And of course you have the accurate numbers to back this claim up, right?

Quote:
Do you guys not realize that you were sitting on a potential goldmine?,and that you dropped the ball?The name drew them in,the PVE and crap PVP drove them away,and will keep them away.I feel sorry for those who paid for a lifetime membership and only got 6 months use out of it,and only then because they were stubborn and willing to give you guys a chance that you never deserved.Enjoy!
Yes, you're right, we're all AI 'bots' here on the Forums and in game; and we're ALL run by one Cryptic employee, sitting in a basemen in front of a single server (that's not even rack mounted); perpetrating a hoax on the entire gaming community. And every vote on that Massively poll for STO was the one employee spoofing IP addresses juist so the hoax could continue.
Lt. Commander
# 67
01-06-2011, 06:16 PM
Armsman,were you there for the beta?the opening?the numbers that play the game now cannot compare to the number that were playing,no i dont have the exact numbers but im also not an idiot as you assume either,i know 250k is alot more than 10k,just sayin.even cryptic admits they have lost ALOT of subscribers,mainly the ones playing are noobs or care bears like yourself,who are more than content to keep running the same old boring missions over and over.i have played every star trek game ever made and this does not even fit in the top 5,as far as cryptic listening to players,they sure as hell didnt listen to them before launch when they were advised to have more content for pve and pvp,i waited for years for this game,and went into it with a positive attitude,you like myself stated your opinion,and last time i checked we were both entitled to it.if the game was in such great shape you couldnt buy it for $20 a year after release,add ons for other games cost as much,sometimes more,so go hide in your little fed science ship and go scan another anomaly,and allow others to have their opinions,and my opinion is that gimmicks will not save this game,as cryptic thinks,it is right now on life support with the plug falling out of the wall slowly
Lt. Commander
# 68
01-06-2011, 06:31 PM
Congratulations to Cryptic, and specifically to the STO team. You guys have been doing some awesome work in refining and expanding the game. It's good to see more positive press popping up lately. Well earned, and I look forward to the future of STO!

Quote:
...so go hide in your little fed science ship and go scan another anomaly,and allow others to have their opinions
That's just the thing, though. You're stating an opinion as fact with the population decrease of impending doom comment.

Yes, the population has decreased since open beta/launch. But that happens to EVERY single MMO when it first launches. Loads of people rush in to see what all the fuss is about, and not every one of them will stay. This is normal.

Also, the STO team has made it very clear lately that the game is doing very well, including the number of players. Plus, that number is growing

Quote:
(...)if the game was in such great shape you couldnt buy it for $20 a year after release,add ons for other games cost as much,sometimes more(...)
Have you heard of a little thing called the Cstore? The game is not priced low now because it's a failure, it's priced low now because Cryptic has made a shift towards microtransactions over box sales. They've made this pretty clear through forum communication. Again, the game is doing just fine, whether you enjoy it or not. The sky is not really falling, as it turns out.
Lt. Commander
# 69
01-06-2011, 06:51 PM
[quote=Armsman;3268135]And of course you have the accurate numbers to back this claim up, right?

I know that our entire clan stopped playing as well as two others , So no I am sure he does not have the exact numbers nor will STO give them out like every other game. That alone should make you question how many are left in that game.

I can tell you pvp ques where packed in beta and early release now you never see more than a handfull in the ques.

So no one really knows either way. Space Stations are empty , space is empty compared to the early days of the game and seems just void bye comparison.

O did not see your numbers either.

gl hope you have a game in a 2 years or so.
Lt. Commander
# 70
01-07-2011, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Armsman,were you there for the beta?the opening?the numbers that play the game now cannot compare to the number that were playing,no i dont have the exact numbers but im also not an idiot as you assume either,i know 250k is alot more than 10k,just sayin.even cryptic admits they have lost ALOT of subscribers,mainly the ones playing are noobs or care bears like yourself,who are more than content to keep running the same old boring missions over and over.i have played every star trek game ever made and this does not even fit in the top 5,as far as cryptic listening to players,they sure as hell didnt listen to them before launch when they were advised to have more content for pve and pvp,i waited for years for this game,and went into it with a positive attitude,you like myself stated your opinion,and last time i checked we were both entitled to it.if the game was in such great shape you couldnt buy it for $20 a year after release,add ons for other games cost as much,sometimes more,so go hide in your little fed science ship and go scan another anomaly,and allow others to have their opinions,and my opinion is that gimmicks will not save this game,as cryptic thinks,it is right now on life support with the plug falling out of the wall slowly
Was I here for the beta? You bet. Been playing closed beta 10/27/09 was when I received the closed beta invite. Again, aside from EQ and WoW (EVE Online makes the claim, but given CCPs record on truthful statements, I dubt it's accurate as I was there for EVE launch - and aagain for a year in the 2006 - 2007 timeframe for one year); EVERY SUBSCRIPTION MMO RELEASED never grows beyond the numbers it accrued the first month of launch.

Second, as a player of MMOs since Meridian 59; and a Star Trek fan since 1969; and a player of many Star Trek games over the years (my first was on an HP 2000 mainframe via teletype in 1975 called STTR1); and someone who's tried the majority of the better Star Trek games out there like the 25th Anniversary, Judgement Rittes all the way through Star Fleet Academy and Bridge Commander - sorry, but I honestly disagree with your assessment of STO. The game does a good job of representing all eras of Star Trek, and is an enjoyable game to play - and does a good job of straddling the fine line of sticking to canon for the most part, expanding on canon and taking it to the 'future' (ie past the last 24th century era we saw obn screen - it may not be everyone's cup of tea; but for the most part they extrapolated things well.)

Again, if you're looking for a 24th century era simulator, I copuld see where you might be dissapointed, but as a Star Trek fam who's seem all the various incarnations first run, and who likes to mix and match from his favorites; I personally love that ALL Star Trek eras are represented in the game; and an explanation as to why it is that way (time of war, short on resources) is fine.

Also, I don't think you'll find anyone who thinks this game releeased finished; or with a wealth of content; BUT, I also read about and understood the reasons WHY - Namely that Perpetual held, and did virtually nothing to progress on development of the Star Trek MMO CBS/Paramount wanted; and after Perpetual went belly up; and CBS shopped teh license around they (CBS) contractually added that whomever wanted the license would have to accept a contracted release date BEFORE SIGNING, and prove tp CBS they would be able to make it. In a perfect world odf an unlimited development budget; and all the time in the world, yes they could have made a better game; but the reality was; CBS specified a date and required that date be adhered to because they (CBS) didn't want another Perpetual-like situation on it's hands.

Also, 11 months out, Cryptic and the STO Dev team have worked very hard to rectify the games state and it's deficiencies; and are making good progress in that regard. Cryptic's other MMO (Champions Online); which had it's development slowed A LOT since launch (due to not meeting target sub numbers); and which is now being converted into a F2P hybrid in an attempt to turn things around. But even before the CO F2P announcement CO post launch development has been much slower when compared to STO; and that's a direct rsult of it not pulling in suffcient cash flow to support development.

My oint? If STO were doing as bad as you believe, I doubt we'd see this much continued ssupport and enhancement at the sustained rate that we've had since launch; and STO would have gone F2P along with CO at the same time.

I also don't know if you still log in, but I do and check instance numbers, and if anything STO is seeing an upswing in players at least during the times I play. So, again, given that and recent posts of the subscription trend from Stormshade; I don't see a dying game; I see a still reletively new MMO that is continuing to be developed; a Dev team that takes player feedback into account as they develop the game (and FYI 'listening to players' doesn't mean 'Do EVERYTHING the players ask for'; but they do a fair job of working a lot of player suggestions in); and a commited core base of players, with subscriptions (currently) on the upswing.

Does that mean I expect STO to ever reach World of ******** level sub numbers? No, I don't think STO will EVER approach WoW's numbers, but again, it was never envisioned as the 'WoW killler' either. Further if you use WoW as the 'successful' benchmark, ALL OTHER MMOs are dying. If however, you look at STO in comparison to the other MMOs out there; I'd say it's holding it's own, and doing better than a number of MMOs released in teh last couple of years, including games like Age of Conan and WarHammer Online.

I like the game a lot, and I also like the current STO Dev team, and the direction they're taking and growing the game in. If you don't, think it sucks, and "isn't Star Trek"; that's a perfectly valid POV; and if that's how you feel, I'd unsubscribe and move on. But, regardless of yours or my POV; anecdotal evidence would seem to indicate that while not doing exceptional; STO is doing okay, and is hardly dying or on the verge of shutting down.