Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 71
01-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
We all want two viable factions and more in STO, and as I've said repeatedly - it will take time - the KDF will never have as many episodes as the Feds in the short term, but we will continually make it better. Overnight armchair quarterbacks aside, the dev team is constantly improving the KDF for the 12% of our player base who play them.
that stat is very interesting and whilst im not surprised to see it really does show how small it is, it does highlight how much effort you have put into klingons despite the small numbers. i would like to hope that has at least increased in recent months, or that those 12% are playing them more often as it certainly feels like klingons are getting more popular.

people seriously need to get out there and start rolling some klingons. i personally feel what the klingons have is actually more fun that the feds. just less of it. im pleased to hear that there will be remastered klingon content as well. that is as much as i can ask for.

so thank you, and keep it up.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 72
01-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble_Tiger View Post
Thank you for that information. I had always guessed it was around 1 in 4 players of the game. Nice to officially see that the KDF is really around 1 in 8.
don't put too much faith in that number - it literally changes week to week.

I would also posit that the number is also very similar to the number of players who dress up as Klingons at Star Trek conventions.

Are there Klingon fans? Heck yes. Are they a majority of fans? nope and never have been. I'd argue that just counting people who dress up at cons, there are just as many andorian, trill, and vulcan fans as there are Klingon fans.

I guess the Andorian fans are just more polite about wanting their own faction...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 73
01-07-2011, 11:49 AM
there will always be a group that just wants 100% klingon stuff until the faction is complete, and whilst i have no problem with that, they do have a commitment to the rest of the people who play feds only and i think they are doing a great job of balancing that up.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 74
01-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
It is getting a bit old with the "when is Cryptic going to stop ignoring the KDF"...

Not to single you out personally Varrangian, but in general there is a perception that the STO dev team is ignoring the KDF and I'd like to call bullcrap on that. Every update including and since Season 2 has had KDF goodness in it.

Will remastered episodes be only for the faction they were intended for? YES. Feds are NOT going to be replaying Gates of Grethor, and vice versa.

We all want two viable factions and more in STO, and as I've said repeatedly - it will take time - the KDF will never have as many episodes as the Feds in the short term, but we will continually make it better. Overnight armchair quarterbacks aside, the dev team is constantly improving the KDF for the 12% of our player base who play them.
I say it'd be far more than 12% if you actually spent viable time improving the Klingon faction and the PvP aspect to the game which is sorely lacking. Why would anyone spend time playing Klingon when it's only 20% of the actual game?

You gimp the faction to the point no one wants to play then tell us you don't spend time on it because no one plays it.

I play mainly Fed because playing a Klingon to end game is a joke considering the state of PvP and the development time spent on the faction.

It's obvious plenty of time and resources go to improving the "looks" to the game but when it comes to actual game play, improved player interactivity and game mechanics (thing that take real thought) there seem to be little improvement in my opinion.

Frankly, remastering old missions seems cheap and lazy if your going to call it "new" content. I mean, cut scenes are neat and all but it's fluff.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 75
01-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalTaxi View Post

You gimp the faction to the point no one wants to play then tell us you don't spend time on it because no one plays it.
thats totally not what he said.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 76
01-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
don't put too much faith in that number - it literally changes week to week.

I would also posit that the number is also very similar to the number of players who dress up as Klingons at Star Trek conventions.

Are there Klingon fans? Heck yes. Are they a majority of fans? nope and never have been. I'd argue that just counting people who dress up at cons, there are just as many andorian, trill, and vulcan fans as there are Klingon fans.

I guess the Andorian fans are just more polite about wanting their own faction...
A real Klingon would slap you silly right about now.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 77
01-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
thats totally not what he said.
I didn't say he said that. I'm saying that.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 78
01-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalTaxi View Post
I say it'd be far more than 12% if you actually spent viable time improving the Klingon faction and the PvP aspect to the game which is sorely lacking. Why would anyone spend time playing Klingon when it's only 20% of the actual game?

You gimp the faction to the point no one wants to play then tell us you don't spend time on it because no one plays it.

I play mainly Fed because playing a Klingon to end game is a joke considering the state of PvP and the development time spent on the faction.

It's obvious plenty of time and resources go to improving the "looks" to the game but when it comes to actual game play, improved player interactivity and game mechanics (thing that take real thought) there seem to be little improvement in my opinion.

Frankly, remastering old missions seems cheap and lazy if your going to call it "new" content. I mean, cut scenes are neat and all but it's fluff.
I would imagine you haven't played KDF in a while, since before season 2? I'm a staunch believer that the KDF needs more still, but even I will admit that there has been a great deal added to the KDF side. The few episodic missions we have are by far some of the best in the game, add in the weeklies, the new dailies in the Pi Cannis sector leveling isn't all that much more repetitive than the Fed side.

PvP still needs something - teeth and meaning, but that goes for both sides.

Edit: and this is the other side of that Pandora's box of that number, I'm glad Dstahl said not to put too much faith in it, but unfortunately people from both sides will ignore that.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 79
01-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalTaxi View Post
Frankly, remastering old missions seems cheap and lazy if your going to call it "new" content. I mean, cut scenes are neat and all but it's fluff.
But it's not being called new content, it's being called "remastered" content. And it's a good thing. For whatever reason, the quality of missions being made today is greater than most of those at launch. Going back and adding new gameplay elements and other goodness is a great idea; we get a new reason to play the mission and new players get a better experience from the get-go.

I've seen people complain that there's a lack of content and I've seen people complain that the existing content lacks depth. With both weekly episodes and remastered content, both camps should be reassured. Instead, predictably, there is a vocal segment who want to make the worst of it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 80 ouch
01-07-2011, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Remastering episodes is being done for many reasons, some of which aren't even player facing and have more to do with how parts of the mission system on the back end works.

I'm not going to go into details other than to say, we are a professional development company and at the end of the day, I'm juggling hundreds of priorities and scheduling manpower down to the hour. We have very lengthy schedules and backlogs and I spend quite a bit of time working with our production staff to ensure the dominos are in the right order. I suggest going and picking up a book on video game software production if you'd like to learn more about all the considerations that come into play during development. Even though most are out dated, I still think this one paints a pretty good picture: http://www.amazon.com/Game-Producers...4423720&sr=8-1 of all the moving parts in a typical video game. Now multiply that by 10 for an MMO and you're getting close.

In other words, remastered episodes are being made for a very good reason and I'm not going to go into every detail why.
Having played these games since UO beta in 1997, and having spent a decade subscribing to the MUD-Dev list and hanging out with guys like Raph Koster, I'm pretty aware of the obstacles and needs of a dev team, at least as much as I can without having actually been on said dev team. I think frankly it would have taken less time to give a more clear answer than the somewhat defensive one you just gave. It also somewhat contradicts prior statements about clarity you've given in the past. And you haven't given any details really as to your reasoning. But never mind all that. Compared to some really "my way and if you don't like it go away" devs like Brad McQuaid you're a fountain of information. Maybe we just got spoiled by the way things have been since you took over. In the end I do trust you to make STO a consistently better game than the time period before.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:37 PM.