Lt. Commander
# 31
01-07-2011, 03:29 PM
If we ever had an, "Ask the Cryptic Fans" - one of our questions would be "Why do players make their humans 6'4 or taller?"

To answer your question DStahl...its beause some of us ARE 6'4 and taller
Lt. Commander
# 32 shutttles cont.
01-07-2011, 03:37 PM
so as for the delta flier, my del taco shuttle, runabouts "and beyond!!" I personally believe that a "hangar" mechanic for virtually EVERY ship class would be a great addition, for FEDs to counter the KDF only carriers, not as a toe to toe with a bird of prey but more as a distract the swarm tactic and allow for a more balanced feeling between factions in the regard of carriers and there more graphically pleasing effect.
Lt. Commander
# 33
01-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Once again, a great Ask Cryptic!

Thank-you so much for answering three of my questions (and, actually, answering almost all the ones I had, really (by answering others' questions that I also had).

I'm hoping that the 2nd mini-game that will pop up in an upcoming episode won't be limited to that particular one, but it will be added to the entire game (where it is appropriate, of course), like the scanning anomalies one. Also, kind of sad panda on the poker and 3d-chess, but I can understand it (I'm more interested in the chess anyhow, but I know that the poker will come first.).

As for the Captain's Yacht and shuttles, huzzah! \o/ I am very pleased that the Yacht will have a Fed and a Klingon version, and that they will be a controllable ship, and not just a pet. I'm also looking forward to the future shuttle mechanics, and I hope to be a proud owner of a Delta Flyer soon.

The Duty Officer Roster (and, hopefully, the Senior Staff) mechanics sound awesome, and I also like the sound of more craftable/obtainable sets in the future. More awesome, though, is that we're getting more melee weapon(s) soon! I hope we get the lirpa soon (*sings the fight music from Amok Time*), but I think I'd much rather have the Ushaan-tor first, heh.

Adding diplomatic missions to the Foundry (and possibly adding new ones to the Star Cluster missions) sounds very exciting, along with branching mission objectives and dialogs. Also, the ability to make our own interiors, bases, and home planets is very cool.

I'm looking forward to the web team (Hi, Diamonds! (and others, of course) o/) updating the Captain's Database. Hopefully, the calendar, and maybe a reorganization of the C-Store web page, will get updated soon as well.

Iconians? Hellz yeah!

I hope the Guramba does make itself available by in-game means, and I'm also looking forward to the "Leaving Shipdock" sequences and more functionality for the interiors.

I am very ecstatic that you guys are working on a way to do away with the on-duty/off-duty costumes situation! (I would be able to finally alter my Tac alt's "2nd off-duty" slot I made without fear of it being pigeon-holed back into an "on-duty" slot.)

Jas- asked "Is more fleet and personal bank space being planned?", but you didn't answer him/her. I'd love to see a way to earn (or, if really need be, ... buy, sigh) extra bank space, or at least be able to have a shared bank (or more slots) between characters on an account (and make bound to character items into bound to account, maybe?)

As PF said earlier in this thread, I'm all for you making an "Ask the Cryptic Fans" thread/segment! Although I didn't make my human taller than 6'4" (okay, fine, he's 6'1", lol), I'm sure there are plenty of other questions you'd like to ask us.

Again, a very nice Ask Cryptic, and thank-you for taking the time to answer some of our questions (and thanks to all the players who submitted them as well!). I'm off to speculate as to what kind of tchotchkes you guys are dreaming up for the 1-year anniversary.

*salutes*
Lt. Commander
# 34 To comment on the uniforms
01-07-2011, 03:44 PM
First of all, I'd like to say that as always I am excited to see what's coming for STO.

I just wanted to throw in my opinion on the uniforms. I do agree that there should be some kind of consistency, but what if that were limited to each Starbase and/or Starfleet posting. What I mean is, pick one style for ESD, pick another for DS9 and another for Memory Alpha and so on. Each Captain has their own uniform set on the ships now so why not make the same policy for the NPCs of different stations/postings?

I also want to know when we get to designate our crew uniforms.
Lt. Commander
# 35
01-07-2011, 04:11 PM
All-in-all another good Ask Cryptic. Thanks dstahl for taking the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
Quote:
If we ever had an, "Ask the Cryptic Fans" - one of our questions would be "Why do players make their humans 6'4 or taller?"
Actually that's a good idea. You should start a thread entitled "Ask the Cryptic Fans", and ask us all of those little things you've always wanted to know.
Excellent idea dstahl/Peregrine_Falcon! A stickied Ask Cryptic Fans thread would be awesome! I'm totally /signed +1 on that.

As for my answer to your question about tall humans. Part of the answer is that I'm a tall person in real life (6'2") so anything shorter is a strange concept to me. My primary character is tall (I think he is a 6'4" human, heh), but I'm pretty sure most of my other characters (Captains & BOs) are shorter than 6'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberion1701
I always felt that my humans were too tiny if I didnt make them near 6 feet tall, even the females. I think its a result of the ENORMOUS Interior scaling in most ground maps. It just feels natural to make chars bigger than your guildlines in the tailor suggest...
I think this might also have something to do with it.

Also, when we set the height, we're only setting the base, right? I mean if we adjust leg and torso lengths (and to a less extent, head and feet size/height), then it actually can change our actual/overall height. Is it possible that somewhere we can see the Net Height for our character (after the body part adjustment)?
Lt. Commander
# 36
01-07-2011, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuanZen View Post

To answer your question DStahl...its beause some of us ARE 6'4 and taller
6 Foot 6
Lt. Commander
# 37
01-07-2011, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberion1701
I always felt that my humans were too tiny if I didnt make them near 6 feet tall, even the females.

I think its a result of the ENORMOUS Interior scaling in most ground maps. It just feels natural to make chars bigger than your guildlines in the tailor suggest.

It would be one way to partially address the scaling issues - bump up the character sizes some too, so everyone "looks bigger" across the board.

Given how big the screens and door and even a lot of the chairs are.. it would really help a lot.
Amen. I feel so tiny playing my characters because the halls all have 20 ft high ceilings!
Lt. Commander
# 38
01-07-2011, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT_Marsh
6 Foot 6
I'm only 6'4...but dammit they need to know that not all Trekkies are short and fat. Dont ya just hate stereotypes
Lt. Commander
# 39
01-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPJappic View Post
(RE: Tellarite height)

Why not just broaden the range to 5'10" instead of disregarding the stuff from TOS? Weren't they Tellarites too?

I even asked Matt this question last year in a PM and he said the following to me. "We decided to go more toward the 5'10" tellarite to give a slight bit of diversity... and so that you don't see a ton of really large tellarites running around! " What's the big deal on restricting them on a few inches. ( I'm mostly saying this cause my Tellarite was intended to be 5'7" and i'm 2 inches short... pun not intended. )

Our current max height for Tellarites is much closer to 5'11", if you take into account maximizing their height and leg length sliders. Attached image from our dev editor showing this. (we have a nifty height scaler in there)
Lt. Commander
# 40
01-07-2011, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhighison View Post
Our current max height for Tellarites is much closer to 5'11", if you take into account maximizing their height and leg length sliders. Attached image from our dev editor showing this. (we have a nifty height scaler in there)
Nice to meet ya Matt I think ya'll are doing a great job.

Oh and in case ya'll didnt notice me and JT_Marsh are pretty tall