Lt. Commander
# 21
01-08-2011, 03:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
I'm not quite sure what potential problem you're alluding to, but the reference amuses me.
You sit on the edge, sending your boffs out to fight the big bad's adds in a "glorified poke-tournament", I mean "boff on trash mob" duel, I mean "fleet leadership sideline position".

All joking aside, my concern is two fold:
1) We'll never really have complete control over all these ships, so why give us gimped versions of them? (i.e. pet bars for each ship with minor powers like in ground or WoW would be, underwhelming considering the possibilities)

2) More pets mean enemies have more pets and we get Terradome-adds-itis wherein every battle is a cluster of zerg rushes. Give me a Bird of Prey off the Port Bow - not every battle being Brigadier General Kerrigan.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-08-2011, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
You sit on the edge, sending your boffs out to fight the big bad's adds in a "glorified poke-tournament", I mean "boff on trash mob" duel, I mean "fleet leadership sideline position".
Well that could happen, but I see it more as Captain Picard on board the Enterprise leading the fleet into combat. Seems more heroic akin to Kirk and Picard who hate being behind the desk.

Quote:
All joking aside, my concern is two fold:
1) We'll never really have complete control over all these ships, so why give us gimped versions of them? (i.e. pet bars for each ship with minor powers like in ground or WoW would be, underwhelming considering the possibilities)

Well that would depend on the changes they are making to the ground and crew systems, personally I think they could make one entire system that blends together with a bit of creativity.

Quote:
2) More pets mean enemies have more pets and we get Terradome-adds-itis wherein every battle is a cluster of zerg rushes. Give me a Bird of Prey off the Port Bow - not every battle being Brigadier General Kerrigan.
Well yeah, why else would they send a Five Star Admiral into a battle? For one little BoP that an Ensign could of taken care of. I appreciate your desire for less = more, but at the same time doing the same "less" over and over again for 51+ levels is not that exciting. Once I got my ship at Rear Admiral Lower Half 1, and had my maxed out Away Team I would of lost interest had it not been for the 5 more levels to max that it was. Fortunately the new content kept me interested and I didn't have to grind to reach Vice Admiral soon after it was released.

Either way, I think they either need some exciting new combat, which one option would include fleet vs fleet battles. Or make the Admiral mechanics different to that of Captain, other wise there is no reason to go beyond that point. A small fleet of 4 officers that fly their own ships along side you in a range of different formations (each one giving different bonuses perhaps), could make that difference depending on how they handle it.