Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Lt. Commander
# 121
01-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VVargazm
That's just splitting hairs. They made the statement that you would not have to pay for game altering items to easy fears of people being forced to pay to experience the full game. Yet at start up the situation was just that. That you were buying these items outside the C-store does matter much. And led me to believe those were going to be the type of things we'd see in the store from time to time.

And to say gimmicks are not related to the store and don't matter means you wouldn't have a problem if they started giving the Excelsior refit away with new subscriptions. Or worse new items with larger effects you can't even get in the store for new subs.
...so your entire argument here, is that since it seemed dishonest to you from the start, nobody should be complaining?

And, actually, they were always very careful to talk about the accessibility of potential C-store items and not other promotions.
Lt. Commander
# 122
01-08-2011, 04:49 PM
Quote:
That's just splitting hairs. They made the statement that you would not have to pay for game altering items to easy fears of people being forced to pay to experience the full game. Yet at start up the situation was just that. That you were buying these items outside the C-store does matter much. And led me to believe those were going to be the type of things we'd see in the store from time to time.

And to say gimmicks are not related to the store and don't matter means you wouldn't have a problem if they started giving the Excelsior refit away with new subscriptions. Or worse new items with larger effects you can't even get in the store for new subs.
I never said that they didn't matter, I said that they were never referenced at all. Find me a game that does not have pre-order or store specific bonuses in the past few years. They all have them and have had for quite a long time. That is not splitting hairs, that is simply a fact of life and has been common practice in the industry for years. We can only comment specifically on what was said specifically.
Lt. Commander
# 123
01-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Actually, I read the description at the bottom, and it said that the Guramba is unlocked for "All Klingon Lt. Generals on an Account." That right there is absolutely KICKASS. Not even the GALAXY-X gets that special treatment. I also heard that they are going to let us buy it with Emblems or something too.
Lt. Commander
# 124
01-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdidy View Post
Actually, I read the description at the bottom, and it said that the Guramba is unlocked for "All Klingon Lt. Generals on an Account." That right there is absolutely KICKASS. Not even the GALAXY-X gets that special treatment. I also heard that they are going to let us buy it with Emblems or something too.
Galaxy X is unlocked for all characters on an account, always has been and sale of the Garumba for emblems is what DStahl is working on since they tried to do an end-run on the man.
Lt. Commander
# 125
01-08-2011, 07:45 PM
Yes but how many emblems will it cost?????
Lt. Commander
# 126
01-08-2011, 08:41 PM
i guess we can assume at least 500
Lt. Commander
# 127
01-08-2011, 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikonov
i guess we can assume at least 500
it s already 500 emblems for a 1200 Cryptic point ship...hope it s not proportional cause i can guarantee you no one is going to spend them on this ship...However technically it makes her available via in game means...
Lt. Commander
# 128
01-09-2011, 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
...so your entire argument here, is that since it seemed dishonest to you from the start, nobody should be complaining?.
Actually this argument has been going in circles a bit so I'm glad you asked. I wouldn't say it seemed dishonest from the start to me. But it did seem like small, or what I consider small in game effects were going to be seen in the store. So when new races with new traits went up on the store I didn't think it was a big deal. Then when a lot of the pre order stuff went in the store I figured that was to be expected as that happens often with pre order items for a lot of games a few months after release. Then the Galaxy X comes along, and people gaming the referral system caused it to end up in the store. I didn't think that was a problem because it seemed like the first refits that you can get for free made up for the abilities that ship had and they were added to the game in the month. Then when the Excelsior hit the store I thought you can get it for free at T3 seems fair to me. Though I was tempted to buy the T5 version, what I wanted was the Excelsior skin and the abilities weren't a big draw for me. I know a lot of people are upset about that LC Tac slot, but I believe the ship loses a LC eng slot to 'pay' for it so I don't see a big problem with the ship other then a price that sits outside my comfort zone for a virtual item. That's the mindset I'm coming from with all this with.

My argument is that a lot of the people complaining are hypocrites and buy the items they rage about. Or they have co opted this argument of game effect in the store just because they don't like the idea of a store in a pay to play game. And the last group of people who honestly feel mislead into buying this game have spent the better part of a year rallying against this treatment, and for what? So you could get a turn around on one ship? I just don't think if you feel these people outright lied to you in an effort to get your money that ranting about it over and over again on these forums is ever going to get you the result you want.

Yeah there's been one back peddle here, but just as you said Jax, what about the T5 Excelsior? Will speaking out change that policy? Will we see all the alien races with new abilities go free to all? Will everyone have a free Borg BO in their inventory if people just make one more thread complaining about them? How much is enough? How long is to much time to waste on a game studio you feel this negatively about? A few days ago I saw a thread asking what people want to see in the game in 2011. Your reply was Integrity. Do you think you are going to see that this year? Is there hope for your cause?

I don't think you are going to see the changes you are hoping for. Because I don't believe the changes need to be made. I don't think cryptic is a bunch of liars and thieves looking to fleece people that are to loyal to anything star trek for there own good. Also I would expect a game studio that would directly intend to lie to people about their plans for micro transactions would also wait longer until they had a larger player base before they started screwing people over. That way the developers could reap more profit as they twirl their mustaches in their big evil chairs while they pet a himalayan cat and laugh maniacally from the secret underwater base they and the cryptic henchmen call home.
Lt. Commander
# 129
01-09-2011, 01:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethanatos View Post
I never said that they didn't matter, I said that they were never referenced at all. Find me a game that does not have pre-order or store specific bonuses in the past few years. They all have them and have had for quite a long time. That is not splitting hairs, that is simply a fact of life and has been common practice in the industry for years. We can only comment specifically on what was said specifically.
Well what is also common practice is selling those pre order items to the rest of the player base a few months after launch. No they did not specifically say that those items would end up for sale or not. But at launch I assumed like every other game that I've played that had pre order items they would go up for sale, and that the C-store would be the place they went up for sale. Now what does that equal? Come on now! Say it with me!

GAME ALTERING ITEMS IN THE C-STORE!!!

YAY!!! Oh...wow...it was a long trip, but we got there in once piece kids.
Lt. Commander
# 130
01-09-2011, 02:26 AM
Quote:
As for the rest of your post, you've actually made some good points about how Guramba is different then the Galaxy X. I can understand how the pricing may surprise some people when it first hit the store. And if I follow what you are saying here then you wouldn't be upset if the Guramba hit the store for the same price as the refits.
Exactly.

Quote:
That maybe the part I'm have trouble following. See I think all the ships are over priced, I just don't understand spending that kind of money on a virtual ship.
Let me explain on this one, and it is just a personal opinion, so there is only my own and no common logic included.

As is see it the monthly subscriber fee one has to pay to play MMORPGs hasn't changed alot in the last 10 years. It may be enough money if you are Blizzard with a subscriber base of millions of ppl, not to mention the millions of game boxes they sell. But as we can see it is not enough for the smaller MMO dev-teams / publishers, whenever a small new MMO starts we can see them struggle because of the development costs what leads to lower quality and lesser content than the big ones have. With STO we may have a special case because they have alot of copyright costs.

So one day i decided for myself that i'm willing to accept features like the c-store to generate more income for small MMO-teams like Cryptic, because they need this money to create new content and such .. but somewhere , in my opinion , they have to draw the line .. as i explained there was the Gal-X and it was the great excemption to me. With the pricing of the Guramaba they have lost the balance in the pricing in my very own opinion. I personaly think that 1200cp for a new ship is where i draw the line of balance. It's also expensive, but we have seen Cryptic put alot of work into STO in the last year and so i have the feeling that i see where my money is going. BUT $25 for another ship on the c-store -- never.