Lt. Commander
# 11
01-08-2011, 06:37 PM
The music doesn't really feel very Trek like to me. I usually turn the music off or keep the volume very low.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-08-2011, 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heimskringla View Post
The music doesn't really feel very Trek like to me. I usually turn the music off or keep the volume very low.
I know how to mod the music. Thing is, I actually modded my game with actual Trek music I had. My title screen plays the Generations theme and I have the DS9 music at DS9.

If someone has a public domain recording they'd recommend replacing music with or an original composition, I'd make a mod for download.

Likewise, I maintain it would be simple for GNP to market an add-on pack for the same price as an album, assuming everything could be negotiated. It's simply a different file format but is still the selling of music for personal users for their own listening.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-08-2011, 08:02 PM
I am curious where Cryptic licensed the music that they use on STO or if it's original.

I'm pretty sure Champions is licensed and City of Heroes' music was widely known to come from a royalty free music library after Ellen Degenres started using it on her talk show, prompting questions in the forums there.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I am curious where Cryptic licensed the music that they use on STO or if it's original.

I'm pretty sure Champions is licensed and City of Heroes' music was widely known to come from a royalty free music library after Ellen Degenres started using it on her talk show, prompting questions in the forums there.
Not sure about City of Heroes, but the music for City of Villains, Champions Online and Star Trek Online was all made by this guy: Kevin Manthei.

On a slightly related note, and what I wanted an answer to a while ago is, why is there only a small fraction of the in-game music playing now? At first I thought it was just me, but after asking some others there's a wide chunk of music that we'd used to hear playing during closed to open beta that just never does now. I'm mainly referring to battle music like the Romulan music tracks Romulan Battle 2, Romulan Battle 4 (though I hardly hear the other Romulan tracks either) and quite a few Borg ones too.

All I seem to get is the before mentioned awful opera sounding Cardassian battle track. It seems that not long after the game launched these tracks just disappeared, the Romulan ones in particular stood out because they actually felt intense and the two I mentioned incorporated the actual current STO theme.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-09-2011, 12:07 AM
I have to admit I regurlaly deactivate the music as I find it horrible. I prefer to play my Star Trek movie soundtracks as they fit much better with ST-O.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-09-2011, 03:14 AM
OMG
they still dont have removed that uber annoying opera guy??

this is the very reason i turned off music in the game and switched to playing ST OST's for STO in Winamp.
I spend at least a few hours making playlist for FED KDF and Borg music... and a generic one with all of them.

I still need to make one for Romulan's (mostly with the Nemesis OST) and i didn't even find a theme for Cardassians / Dominion?
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-09-2011, 04:47 AM
I don't actually know which track you're talking about; I've not heared anything close to opera in this game since the Beta.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-09-2011, 06:26 AM
ive said it timme and time again, sto is the only game whose music i have ever turned off. there is so little music it is repetitive.

i think you hear the same song in sector space all the time, its a minor complaint however when you have that same old song droning at you on some place where you have to spend alot of time i.e sector space, it gets annoying.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-09-2011, 06:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I know how to mod the music. Thing is, I actually modded my game with actual Trek music I had. My title screen plays the Generations theme and I have the DS9 music at DS9.

If someone has a public domain recording they'd recommend replacing music with or an original composition, I'd make a mod for download.

Likewise, I maintain it would be simple for GNP to market an add-on pack for the same price as an album, assuming everything could be negotiated. It's simply a different file format but is still the selling of music for personal users for their own listening.
i am interested in knowing how i can DL or load up the ST music i want, then have it play at the times i want. example: confrontation scenes. i want to load music akin to battle tempo and pumping, not slow or off beat. then when i am just cruising or at ESD, i want the more mellow, but trek stuff.

i know i can load my own ipod and hit play,but can i refine the times and types played when i want them without going to the ipod and finding the track i want?

sorry, i have nto looked into this option very much so i am just asking out of the blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshicus
I don't actually know which track you're talking about; I've not heared anything close to opera in this game since the Beta.
ditto really. the times it (the music) is playing, i just seem to ignore it anyway. often i am playing in silent mode or have music on elsewhere.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-09-2011, 06:50 AM
The operatic piece is by far the worse. I am not even sure that you can call it opera, it is more like a really bad parody of opera. It is quite painful to listen to. Some of the other music is not too bad, but very little is what I would call good, and forget about great. The only music I like at all is the music on the character selection screen.

As far as music that is in Public Domain that I think would be far more fitting, or at least not as irritating, I recommend Gustav Holst.

There are public domain Air Force Band recordings made of The Planets and some Marine Band recordings of some of his other pieces.