Lt. Commander
So I logged into STO today for the first time in awhile; and started going through the mission replay stuff noting where some episodes had new rewards... and then I hit the Devidian episodes and noticed with particular interest that we could now get a Rear retrofit phaser array; and presumably by re-running the mission, more retrofits - to outfit the whole ship if you so wanted.

I thought "That's awesome"... and then discovered shortly thereafter that for whatever reason, they're unique, You can only have one of each.

So... why? IThere are plenty of more powerful weapons that aren't any harder to get; so it can't be that. They can't be farmed and sold, because they're bound. I mean it makes sense for the Prototype rifle to be one-to-a-character; it is, after all, a prototype. These however are retrofits - old tech, the kind of thing that should be fairly easy to create.

I just... I can't figure out the 'why'. Especially since a phaser using ship with these arrays actually looks a bit ridiculous because you end up firing blue and orange. I guess I'm just annoyed that I got all excited thinking I could outfit my ship with those nice blue thin-lined phasers... only to discover I could only do it to a quarter of my weapon slots. I mean it's hardly the end of the world; but it seems so nonsensical and really messes up what I was hoping to do.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-08-2011, 02:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistformsquirrel
So I logged into STO today for the first time in awhile; and started going through the mission replay stuff noting where some episodes had new rewards... and then I hit the Devidian episodes and noticed with particular interest that we could now get a Rear retrofit phaser array; and presumably by re-running the mission, more retrofits - to outfit the whole ship if you so wanted.

I thought "That's awesome"... and then discovered shortly thereafter that for whatever reason, they're unique, You can only have one of each.

So... why? IThere are plenty of more powerful weapons that aren't any harder to get; so it can't be that. They can't be farmed and sold, because they're bound. I mean it makes sense for the Prototype rifle to be one-to-a-character; it is, after all, a prototype. These however are retrofits - old tech, the kind of thing that should be fairly easy to create.

I just... I can't figure out the 'why'. Especially since a phaser using ship with these arrays actually looks a bit ridiculous because you end up firing blue and orange. I guess I'm just annoyed that I got all excited thinking I could outfit my ship with those nice blue thin-lined phasers... only to discover I could only do it to a quarter of my weapon slots. I mean it's hardly the end of the world; but it seems so nonsensical and really messes up what I was hoping to do.
I'm with you on this one,other than that they level up as you do, i'm at a loss as to why you can only have one fore and aft blue phaser.I'd love to be able to use all blue phasers on my ship
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-08-2011, 03:28 AM
Heh buy yourself the TOS Connie from the C-Store at 800 points.
Then move out itīs front and rear phaser. Discard ship.
Claim new from Store....take out....discard.
Do so 4 times and you got 4 front and 4 back retrofit phasers. All blue FTW
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-08-2011, 03:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1restarter
And that's probably why it's unique -- so only those who bought the TOS Constituion-class light cruiser can have multiple fore and aft phasers on their vessels.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-08-2011, 03:54 AM
Quote:
Sweet,gimmie gimmie gimmie
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-08-2011, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinead
Sweet,gimmie gimmie gimmie
Though do keep in mind that the only thing 'special' about the TOS 'blue' Phasers (besides the color) is that they scale with you. Their actual damage bonus is roughly equivalent to a 'Uncommon' Phaser array, and you can actually 'craft' better Phasers at Memory Alpha...
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-08-2011, 03:24 PM
Quote:
The problem here being... if you do that, you're not just slightly weakening yourself for flavor's sake... you're putting yourself at a significant disadvantage. I mean, I can accept some small penalty to have what I want look-wise... but it's asking rather a lot to give up all weapon bonuses just for that.

Err, what I'm saying is... your suggestion works fine in terms of getting the look right; but ends up putting a player who does that at a disadvantage, which seems especially unnecessary given that there's another, in-game earnable item that can give you a similar experience... but better.

@PhyrexianHero -

Maybe. I can kind of see what you're meaning there; but even if that is the case it's a pretty weak reason imo. After all, if it was just the blue color that was important, you could just go with Tetryon weaponry. The only difference being Tetryon is slightly brighter and more jagged.

Beh, ultimately it's not a huge loss, but it is rather disappointing.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-09-2011, 01:19 PM
The arrays from the TOS Connie are the same as the mission reward, i.e. scaling blue beams. The in-game earnable item is not better than the (c-)store bought item.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-09-2011, 01:49 PM
So the Connie beams are blue +2% Crit beams? If so then that might work...