Lt. Commander
# 81
06-10-2010, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
Mostly because if it does fail, the chances of another Star Trek MMO go out the window.
Snipped for brevity.

I agree completely with Zodi on this.

STO is not the Star Trek MMORPG I had hoped for, not even close. But it is what it is - which is why I'm often very harshly critical of it - I believe that there is a great deal of potential that hasn't had the slightest scratch.

My thoughts on STO have been, for quite some time, that I would rather have seen it go to another developer that could have done justice to the IP, but that's really moot. Cryptic have it, and that's that.

Star Trek, as we all know, is an enormous IP. If this game fails, it'd be very unlikely that anyone else would be willing to say "Well, it had the juggernaut IP that on its own should've kept it afloat, but it failed. Let's see if we can take a crack at it."

That said, I also agree with Darkjedi. The game still is very much what came at launch regarding content. I've been RA5 for months with nothing else to do but B'Tran dailies or the STF's. Further, the STF's seem to be more about adding a ridiculous amount of extreme difficulty enemies rather than anything engaging or thought-provoking. Respawning zergfests do not make for anything but souped-up normal missions.

And like LotD, I've given STO many more chances than I would any other game simply because of its IP (something I personally feel Cryptic have been banking on for much of its player base) - although I do not want to see it fail because if it does it is, as I've said, highly unlikely it'll come again.

But to get back on topic, yes, I have mixed feelings about the latest "Ask Cryptic." It seems on its face to be more of the same: "There's lots of stuff coming soon," or "We've thought about it, but..." and not much substance. It just left me with a sense of "more of the same."
Lt. Commander
# 82
06-16-2010, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelakh View Post
Snipped for brevity.

I agree completely with Zodi on this.

STO is not the Star Trek MMORPG I had hoped for, not even close. But it is what it is - which is why I'm often very harshly critical of it - I believe that there is a great deal of potential that hasn't had the slightest scratch.

My thoughts on STO have been, for quite some time, that I would rather have seen it go to another developer that could have done justice to the IP, but that's really moot. Cryptic have it, and that's that.
Yeah that's what it comes down to. I think a lot of people tried to give them a chance but they have shown themselves incapable of doing anything but churning out stuff along a templated "mmo" engine with no real innovation. Games like Mass Effect, Fallout 3, even Half-Life 2 series(mostly cos of the engine) have far better depth and have proven that roleplaying games don't have to be 2-dimensional. Even Deus Ex proved that about a decade ago now... Cryptic are content to say "that's how a MMO is" and just churn out another warcrap/crapions online clone with different textures. And this seems to be their plan for the forseeable future:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=125881
Quote:
MMO games at reasonable cost in 18 to 24-month cycles .. The acquisition of Cryptic Studios Inc., .. is a key asset to develop this online strategy.
One thing that's been brought up time and time again since beta and in many media reviews of the game is the poor quality of the ground part of STO... it could've been amazing, but they just didn't bother even trying, replacing any kind of intelligent enemies with everyone just running at each other spamming magical powers standing in the open while trying to "expose" each other (everyone is out in the open, it's a crutch because they are too incompetent to make enemies use cover like even 1998 Half Life could!).... oh and not letting players actually aim their guns like you can say in APB was a terrible choice it just makes it feel very detached and robotic.

They promise the stars constantly (especially in bug reports, "developing and growing world" etc etc) when they never had any intention of delivering anything innovative at all and refuse to put the work in to make it better ignoring it in favour of "content" fluff that is quite frankly *easier*/less costly to put in rather than ever trying to make the game itself actually better...
Lt. Commander
# 83
06-16-2010, 02:20 PM
Quote:
The ask Cryptic is up.

<LINKS RIGHT HERE>

SO what do you think?

what do you like?

what do you not like?

and

any other thoughts on it?
They didn't answer my question about them sending a couple of Orion Slave Girls to my home damn them! :p

All kidding aside, some interesting things on the horizon for STO.
Lt. Commander
# 84
01-09-2011, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerV View Post
The ask cryptic edition came out already. All the questions they were going to answer have been. We will not see any more response from this thread.
Reminds me of something...

From June last year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulDreamer View Post
To be completely honest, I'm very disappointed. It reminded me of a presidential press conference, skirting around anything of substance in favor of the same stuff we've heard time and time again. More missions with Q? Really? That's a pressing matter turning people away from the game? C'mon, guys! You're insulting us with crap like that.

My stomach dropped a few inches when diplomacy and exploration came up. Sounds like it's just going to be another version of exploration missions tied to its own accolade system. Disappointing to say the least.

No mention of any serious game-changing features - because that's what the game needs. We don't need more of the same. We have plenty of it now.

Would have been nice to hear something more than "we're working on it" or "we're looking into it." I feel like I've heard those statements about as many times as I've had to gather spacial anomalies...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
I dont think that anything with high priority was in there...

edit: OOPS DELETE THIS WRONG THREAD, please see here: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...21#post3273221 - it's cos I had a few tabs open to get quotes and actually posting in the quote tab instead of the one I meant to copy the other quote too ugh
Lt. Commander
# 85
01-09-2011, 02:31 PM
Holy Necro BatMan...
Lt. Commander
# 86
01-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Holy Necro BatMan...
This thread is dead Jim.
Lt. Commander