Lt. Commander
# 91
01-10-2011, 04:24 AM
Ground combat can be made more realistic with a Mass Effect cover system as it will make it more "canon". However the undertaking does not mean just updating the mechanics themslves but all maps to provide for it as well.

There are ways to accomodate " reality" without compromising "gameplay". Perhaps not everything can be made to order, but I think that in any instance they can, they should make an effort to make it happen. This will go a long way to make the game more self explanatory (so easier to understand mechanics) and give it more of a film / tv series feeling.
Lt. Commander
# 92
01-10-2011, 04:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sath View Post
Are you guys ok with the current arcade style of STO ?

3rd person space and ground combat and MMO style buffing/debuffing/healing

or do you want it to be more simulation oriented?

1st and/or 3rd person space and ground combat (including bridge (viewscreen) combat).

I am asking this to give Cryptic an idea of which route to travel because so many good guys already left this game. They said it's a fastfood MMO in Star Trek disguise. I think this game has potential.
I prefer a more Bridge Commander oriented version but that's just me. If the majority of the community likes it as it is i could live with it.
No, thank you.

Sim style space flight would be murder on myself, as in physically inflicting pain trying to keep up with the fine degree of control and coordination required ... I'm a lifer, I can't meaningfully quit ... but it would destroy my ability to play and enjoy the game.
Lt. Commander
# 93
01-10-2011, 04:49 AM
I'm fine with the arcade stuff. But I'd like rocking bridges with sparks shooting out, more sexy green people, a computer I can try to teach the meaning of love to, some moral dilemmas, broad Trek stuff handled from an arcade style perspective.
Lt. Commander
# 94
01-10-2011, 05:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSteel
I would like to see more "Star Trek" in Star Trek:Online which is to say, more aspects of the game ranging from plot, story lines, characters and technology adhering to what I've come to anticipate and expect is Star Trek.
This is pretty much the crux of all this. The times when the game felt most like Star Trek were during some of the great missions (Devidians, City on the Edge of Never, etc.). I think the game needs more of this, more great writing and more persistent characters (not one-time forgettable NPCs) to draw us in. Rolling, free flight, loops: these won't bring a feeling of Star Trek to the masses. It might satisfy the select few individuals who get hung up on what their idea of Star Trek is, but I don't think it would help the game as a whole.

If you guys really want to continue debating changes to the space flight mechanics, there are two relatively recent large threads discussing just that:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=191298
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=153761

I won't bother going over in detail all the arguments for/against/neutral discussed in those threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSteel
If another TV show was ever produced (and I only hope it isn't another jj abrams debacle) I would hope it followed in the tradition and footsteps of the last 4 series. If they came out with a show and it was as unlike Star Trek as STO is, I doubt I would watch it, much less play a game based on it.
Good news is I doubt they would make a Star Trek show based off of a video game; they already have the existing TV series to base it off of. (especially as shows based off of games generally do poorly)
Lt. Commander
# 95
01-10-2011, 06:24 AM
I think a little more realism wouldn't go amiss.

For example:

1. We have holographic crew members, yet, no mention of their massive energy draw...
2. We have a Comozoan life form roaming about, yet the one easy way to kill it, a thoron beam (if I remember correctly) isn't available. Hmm...
3. After fights, we can heal any damage to the hull to any instantly.
4. No need to return to spacedock regularly. Ok, so tech has advanced, so trips may not be needed so regularly, but....at least give us the option.
Closed Thread