Lt. Commander
# 11
12-30-2010, 06:12 AM
A lot has already been said by other people so I'll just touch up with some thoughts here.

If you're going for something that is a spot-on comparison to science ship play on Federation side, then a Varanus is a good choice. Additionally the Varanus comes with the repair pods which can be used to heal your allies. If you're aiming to be pure support this is not a bad ship. This is a rather neat pure science build, and excellent if you're going heavy on support.

On the other hand, the Vo'quv is also not a bad vessel to use as a science officer, though it feels much more like a medley of Cruiser and Science vessel cross-purposing, and getting it to turn and face your enemy is quite difficult. The pets are a lot of fun though, and its a great ship to tool around with. I've enjoyed mine even when they weren't cool to be enjoying. At any regard this ship can hold many roles, including damage dealer if he gets enough pets out. Its a beast, but not very mobile at all.

Birds of Prey can also be excellent science vessels, particularly if you want to go with that aggressive flair. Additionally they have battle cloak, which is a nice little getaway trick to add to the mix. Its true there's no targetting subsystems innately, but then again Target Subsystems 1 isn't all that powerful anyway. You can work a good science build without it. Additionally nothing turns as fast as a bird of prey, and auxiliary works well with cloak. So running a complete science platform actually isn't a bad idea from a BOP and i have a good friend who runs one quite well. (Wish he'd login more lately).
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-03-2011, 06:52 AM
I appreciate all the comments.

I killed off that science KDF guy and built a borg... deleted him, and went with Alien.

Flying around in a BoP.. getting crafting up, and well he is flying around at LtCom4 or so.

He is ok.. though dealing with the Federation NPCs on the ground is a pain until I can get to Commander or so.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-03-2011, 10:46 AM
I would also recommend joining a fleet. It helps with the learning curve. Some fleets do F & K too.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-09-2011, 08:17 AM
Skill Points are an issue now. I am LC5 and there are no efficient missions that give decent SP. I dont want to do the episodes yet as I dont wan t to spoil them.. but I may have to..
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-09-2011, 01:02 PM
You are doing yourself a disservice by not doing the story missions. Unlike the weekly episodes that scale to your level. The story missions do not. So if you wait to long on them you diminish the experience by blasting through then at higher levels.

For best enjoyment you should always do them at the level they are offered by J'mpok
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-10-2011, 04:08 AM
Quote:
You are doing yourself a disservice by not doing the story missions. Unlike the weekly episodes that scale to your level. The story missions do not. So if you wait to long on them you diminish the experience by blasting through then at higher levels.

For best enjoyment you should always do them at the level they are offered by J'mpok
I am not sure, but you might actually get less skill points for story missions if you wait too long for them.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-10-2011, 09:25 AM
I am sorry if you misunderstood.

I am doing all the missions I can get.. but everything is pvp, the raids (which is fun) and the nebulas.

The only thing I am not doing is the Breen and Devidian missions. Those scale with you. Everything else is a whole lotta work for what little you get, and at the lower level. Commander I can see things slowing down, but LC is still low enough in level.