Lt. Commander
# 1 Unavailable missions
01-08-2011, 10:24 AM
Hi, I’m relatively new to STO, having played for app a week now and made it to commander-6 (Yeah, had way too much spare time last week), I’ve also played EvE for almost 3 years so being prepared to study and ready about the various gear, skills, etc. definitely made me move faster through the levels, that speed might have given me a problem now.

I’ve mainly focused on the storyline missions, including the ones from season 1 and 2, but now some missions that I thought should repeat forever, don’t. The first one was the “Defend the Regulus Sector Block” a few days ago, when I completed it I didn’t get the option to renew it. Now the same has happened with “Explore the Delta Volanis Cluster”, I had 3 explorations complete and turned the mission in, then it didn’t show up in the dialog so I could request it again…

I would like to get the back so I can go for the accolades later, so is this a bug or intentional design. I generally have all the “Explore” and “Defend” missions active so I can always grab one if I happen to pass by an option, could this be a problem, that I can only have x number of the mission type active at any given time?

Possibly related, I also noticed that I can’t start a new enemy contact in some of the sector blocks the first missions were located…

Any insights and ideas are very welcome, thank you…
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Once you "level past" a set of repeatable missions, the contact only appears if you are in the appropriate area. So to find Grall (for Delta Volanis), you need to be in his area of responsibility (Klingon front sector blocks -- Sirius, Regulus, Pi Canis). Where you need to go to get Winters for Defend Regulus Sector Block is left as an exercise for the student.

This was done to reduce the clutter in the contact window. Otherwise, at endgame, you'll have 5 defend/patrol contacts, 4 exploration contacts, plus the endgame mission contacts and PvP contacts.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-08-2011, 02:37 PM
Thank you for the answer, my first thought was that I had tried that. I had also walked up to Winters in person without him offering the defend mission. But I found the answer, I needed to be in the related sector block, so to get the “Explore the Delta Volanis Cluster” I had to enter the cluster, then I could get it by hailing StarFleet, same for the Defence mission, I had to be in the Regulus block to get it...

Once again thank you for pointing in the right direction...
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-10-2011, 05:26 PM
Its a game quirk that some might call a bug, others a feature. One suggested tip I have for the explore missions. If you are doing Dip missions, set yourself up to have explore missions from all the areas so when you get a jiro mission it will also count for the other.