Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
01-11-2011, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpVis View Post
The abyss quite literally permeates every bit of our existence, constantly nipping at us on our own entropic paths to our inevitable ends.
Well aren't YOU a ball of sunshine?!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by hort_wort View Post
*Don't despair over what "everyone knows to be true" this decade. Remember that the Earth was flat a few generations ago. We have no right to make definitive statements about the nature of the universe, only guesses from a very limited set of data.
and this is why I will always love you... like a sister.. ^_^
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
01-11-2011, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilravegirl View Post
and this is why I will always love you...^_^
Oh God, did hort just get a girlfriend? Quick, someone check to see if it's snowing in hell yet! :p

And for the record, I did see the black text - I just can't resist the opportunity to puncture hort's balloon. :p
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
01-11-2011, 08:38 AM
And so the tradition continues. Every thread I start ends in this horrible backslide into an anti-Hort revolt. Part of me should be ashamed, but that part instead says GET THE TOUCAN!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
01-11-2011, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hort_wort View Post
* according to "common knowledge" developed in the most recent 0.1% of humanity's existence....

Don't despair over what "everyone knows to be true" this decade. Remember that the Earth was flat a few generations ago. We have no right to make definitive statements about the nature of the universe, only guesses from a very limited set of data.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_Flat_Earth

Actually, the idea of people thinking the earth was flat is another myth. :p

While I don't necessarily enjoy providing Wikipedia as a source, it does sum it up nicely! ^.^
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
01-11-2011, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilravegirl View Post
and this is why I will always love you... like a sister.. ^_^
Can I borrow some beads, sis? I wanna make something....

Quote:
Originally Posted by President_Shinzon View Post
And so the tradition continues. Every thread I start ends in this horrible backslide into an anti-Hort revolt. Part of me should be ashamed, but that part instead says GET THE TOUCAN!
Sometimes, I don't even post in them and they still turn out that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfaery
Actually, the idea of people thinking the earth was flat is another myth. :p
Interesting. I didn't know there was a conspiracy surrounding it. It reminds me of modern efforts to remove evolution from school textbooks.

Anyway... the point was that we shouldn't jump to conclusions is all. The universe might just be a giant space hamster that's been exhaling for the last 20,000 years...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
01-11-2011, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTWinters
Actually it's the first rocky planet discovered by that particular satellite (Kepler) Others have been found inthe past by other means. Like the small rocky worlds of the Gliese 581 system
I wouldn't call those 'small'. The 'smallest' of the Gliese 581 planets that are thought to be within its goldilocks zone, g, is theorethical only, its existence not proven, and it comes in at four times the mass of Earth. That's four times the gravity of Earth. Landing there won't be too hard, but coming up again might prove a bit more difficult than it was back in the good old days on the Moon. The capsule they took off in probably wouldn't even have raised off of its platform if they'd fired it up on Earth. Gliese 581 c and d are believed to be somewhere between five and six times Earth's mass. I don't expect whoever has to go down and plant that flag to ever come up again. And even if we could, and there was some form of life (vegetation, animal) there, building anything permanent is made a lot harder as construction materials need to be a lot lighter and/or stronger than on Earth just to bear their own weight. At 5 times Earth's gravity, average Joe's heart probably won't be able to keep that spongy thing behind his eyes supplied with freshly oxygenated blood, so Joe'll pass out, fall and pick up a lot more speed on the way down than he would on Earth and probably kill himself or at least break some bones no matter how he lands...

I say we keep looking.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
01-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reave View Post
I wouldn't call those 'small'. The 'smallest' of the Gliese 581 planets that are thought to be within its goldilocks zone, g, is theorethical only, its existence not proven, and it comes in at four times the mass of Earth. That's four times the gravity of Earth. Landing there won't be too hard, but coming up again might prove a bit more difficult than it was back in the good old days on the Moon. The capsule they took off in probably wouldn't even have raised off of its platform if they'd fired it up on Earth. Gliese 581 c and d are believed to be somewhere between five and six times Earth's mass. I don't expect whoever has to go down and plant that flag to ever come up again. And even if we could, and there was some form of life (vegetation, animal) there, building anything permanent is made a lot harder as construction materials need to be a lot lighter and/or stronger than on Earth just to bear their own weight. At 5 times Earth's gravity, average Joe's heart probably won't be able to keep that spongy thing behind his eyes supplied with freshly oxygenated blood, so Joe'll pass out, fall and pick up a lot more speed on the way down than he would on Earth and probably kill himself or at least break some bones no matter how he lands...

I say we keep looking.

Well Super Earths are little when compared to the Super Jupiters whipping around their staar in 3 to 4 days, ( I don't buy that, no matter what the Astronomer I used to date says). The image of a giant jupiter like planet going around it's star that quickly without it's losing it's atmosphere just doesn't form right in my mind's eye.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
01-11-2011, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilravegirl View Post
Well aren't YOU a ball of sunshine?!!
Just looking for a reaction.

Some look into the abyss and fear it, I look to it and see opportunity.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
01-11-2011, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpVis View Post
Some look into the abyss and fear it, I look to it and see opportunity.
Who let the 'debt management' Ferengi in? Honestly...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
01-11-2011, 12:00 PM
How long until this one is laughed and and told it isn't a planet anymore? A year? two? a century? I will call none planets until the scientific community makes up it's mind. Till then they are all rocks. grrrrrr
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:28 PM.