Lt. Commander
# 61
01-11-2011, 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Wow. Cryptic actually called people who had registered at Champs "star trek fans"? Thats just pathetic.
It's entirely possible that, statistically, they could determine it would be unlikely for more than 150k of those people to be Champions fans and that the numbers were 1.2 million. It remains unlikely that a high percentage of those million were around for anything other than Star Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 62
01-11-2011, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrys View Post
I'm not concerned about what the devs/GMs say, they would never admit to blowing it anyway and frankly I don't necessarily fault them. Their management blew it, they coded what was asked of them. You can't possibly think that filling up three zones (30ish in size) says this game is a "fan success." They had well over a million at launch, now the numbers are closers to 200,000 or even 150,000, with a big part of that now lifers which they get their money's worth in 6 months (worth is a strong word).

The only hope I have is with JHeinig who has a long history of successes in both the video game industry as well as Star Trek genre.

PS: you incorrectly spelled "their" in your sig
They NEVER "had a million at launch" (and I find it funny people still bing this up as fact. WHAT WAS STATED was that in the closed and open beta phases they had 1 million keys activated (meaning the person who got the key, be it someone invited to beta, or a media person given a key for review purposes; clicked on the activation link. Even as they said they has '1 million keys activated', they weren't saying everyone who activated had actually logged into the game; and further, that come launch, they didn't believe all 1 million would become retail players.

Cryptic's 'goal' of success was rather modest. They had stated time and again during development that it they could retain a base of 100K reccuring subs; they would consider the game a success and woul;d be happy.

From all indications, it seems STO is performing above those expectations, while Championsd Online dropped below those expectations, propting the CO F2P move. But STO never had 1 million players at launch.
Lt. Commander
# 63
01-11-2011, 10:09 AM
Well I'm no longer worried. Thanks guys!
Lt. Commander
# 64
01-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
WHAT WAS STATED was that in the closed and open beta phases they had 1 million keys activated
Also wrong. The "1 million" figure referred to free accounts created on the website/forum, and that was a combination of both STO and Champs sites. It had nothing to do with beta or subscriptions:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2010/02...ctually-means/
Lt. Commander
# 65
01-11-2011, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrys View Post
Glad I'm wrong at that too. They REALLY blew it.
Yeah... Thier (sic) "Blowin' it" all the way to the bank...

Ain't it curoius, since it's doing so badly, how ATARI is hanging on to them (Cryptic) like Linus and his blanket.
Lt. Commander
# 66
01-11-2011, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyNY View Post
Yeah... Thier (sic) "Blowin' it" all the way to the bank...

Ain't it curoius, since it's doing so badly, how ATARI is hanging on to them (Cryptic) like Linus and his blanket.
Meh you really can't change perception with people like that, they have their vision of fail and nothing will take that away, and they will throw around any number pulled from their "ear" to substantiate it...like the 30 people per zone..anyone that shows up to the DS9 Sunday gatherings know it's substantially more than that, but that kinda throws a wrench into the perception.
Lt. Commander
# 67
01-11-2011, 11:54 AM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~GM Tiyshen
Lt. Commander
# 68
01-11-2011, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
If you enjoy games like Bejeweled, I'd recommend giving it a shot. I'm not a fan of that particular genre, but found it to be pretty fun.

Thanks,

Stormshade
I don't think anyona is a fan of these games. Everyone thinkks they're fun, and thats it
Lt. Commander
# 69
01-11-2011, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruivo
I don't think anyona is a fan of these games. Everyone thinkks they're fun, and thats it
I think everyone pretends they're too cool for school but then it's 4 in the morning for most bejeweled players.
Closed Thread