Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
01-11-2011, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakkar View Post
I agree with the OP who thought we should then have a Gorn and Orion arc, etc. to flesh out those races too. It will take the Foundry to do that unless Cryptic decides to make new episodes featuring them later.
I don't hold much hope for the Foundry in that regard. Is the Foundry a good thing? Yes. It can certainly produce fun missions too. But I've played everything from my own missions that were rather tame, to someone else's mission that completely introduces alternate universes and other things that I can only accept when I keep in my mind "okay, this is someone else's story they're trying to tell me." It's really hard for me to play a Foundry mission and lose myself in the story, for instance, and I don't know if that's because I've only been playing pretty so-so missions or what. But the point I'm getting at is, I'd much rather play what CRYPTIC thinks is going to happen to, say, the Gorn over the course of the war. And not some other random player's fanfiction of those events because Cryptic can't get around to it.

That's just me. I know, I just poo-pooed all over the Foundry parade, didn't I?
Lt. Commander
# 12 Hmmm
01-11-2011, 03:01 PM
It's been a long time since I've seen the (two episodes I think) that dealt with Stovokor and Gre'thor. I don't remember that she was dreaming the whole thing though. I'm willing to watch it again if I can figure out which one it is from my collection. But, as you say, if a real sword came out of a place then the place itself must be real.

I would rather Cryptic do a bunch of KDF episodes themselves that flesh out the other races of the Empire too, but I don't see that happening. The series they're doing seem to take so long that they don't seem to have the resources to do any more faction-specific episodes at all.

And yes, the other poster did just dump on the Foundry. I don't know yet just how robust the tools are but I do know Gorn are getting new cosmetic changes and there are plenty of character models they can use in making a Gorn episode, for example. We can just dismiss it all as fan-fic but I've heard good things about Foundry missions so far and I have no reason to believe that there wont be good episodes for the KDF amongst them. And what other choices do we have? Cryptic is going to put their resources into faction-agnostic missions for the foreseeable future before doing more KDF specific ones, if they ever get back to doing those. It's better utilization for their scarce resources to make missions for everybody right now. Of course, finding a new game is always an option, but I'm talking about playing STO for the long haul here. I'm certainly willing to give Foundry missions a chance before I write it off.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Wasn't it suggested at the end of this arc that these Fek'Ihri weren't really supernatural entities afterall? That they're really just creations (genetic or otherwise) of the Hur'q?
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-11-2011, 03:33 PM
Quote:
I'm willing to watch it again if I can figure out which one it is from my collection.
It was "Barge of the Dead", season 6 ep. 03. Careful with the link if you prefer watching it yourself instead of reading the synopsis.

Quote:
The series they're doing seem to take so long that they don't seem to have the resources to do any more faction-specific episodes at all.
Anything faction-specific would not have to be as extensive as the series, I was thinking more along the lines of a repeatable faction-specific daily mission. Stuff like the Satellite Repair or the Depot Defense in Eta Eridani, just unique to a single species.
I fear you are right, though. But one can dream. :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amosov
Wasn't it suggested at the end of this arc that these Fek'Ihri weren't really supernatural entities afterall? That they're really just creations (genetic or otherwise) of the Hur'q?
Yep, the DNA analysis hinted at that. Was kind of a cliffhanger.

I'm not really sure if I even want to see this continues. On the one hand, I'm anxious to know how it goes on and I want to see how the Hurq play into this ... but on the other, I like the idea of preserving the mysticism surrounding Gre'thor with the "not sure if it's real" kind of thinking that we were left with.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Yeah it was such a nice cliffhanger, i really wish he get a continuation of that story line.
but like so many other story lines it seems to just fizzle out :/