Lt. Commander
# 11
01-08-2011, 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_BlownApart
Well... I'm trying to get the best product possible and push the limits to see what is possible with some creative thinking. That's all we get to work with so what else can we do..?
Yes, and it probably helps the devs to know what we are doing as workarounds, to indicate what we wish we could do if the options were all there. It might give them ideas.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-08-2011, 10:34 PM
I'm working on mission #1 now... first map done... 1 to go
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-09-2011, 10:04 PM
wow... I have to say that my dull and boring contacts are now doing multiple things and my missions are 100% better now... the possibilities that this technique opens up to the author will truly make a big difference in the depth of any mission and fills a giant gap that should never have existed...

If you do not understand... I would advise you to experiment within your missions and see what wondrous things you can now make happen.

It is not very difficult to change your current missions around with some careful editing of both the map and the story. Don't just throw out your contacts right away... you can copy and paste your existing text and co-ordinates as needed and then pitch the NPC contacts when finished.

Thanks for the tutorial kirkfat... I owe you one...
Lt. Commander
I don't know... I think gyrations of green skinned women are slightly overrated in the STAR TREK universe, especially TOS era.

Kidding aside though, in my opinion Contacts still have a place. Especially when you use them to give the player information-sources that re-iterate information the player may have forgotten and perhaps will need to revise to proceed with the mission.

I speculate that the more the Foundry evolves, the lines between Contacts and NPC Group Actors will blur.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-11-2011, 12:45 AM
Hey LOP.. I redid my first 2 missions now... what a difference in the "feel"... The mutated guys begging to die now all have 2 different animations going each... and the villain does the Evil Plan animation & then beams out at the end as he was supposed too... The Queen is now laying on the medical bed calling out to be rescued.. The orion queen's servant LOOKS like his mind is being "Freaked Out". The mutated Devidian Points at you and screams" I'll Swallow Your Soul!" & then he goes into a "bound" animation. The Gorn Mutant guy is Totally Flailing...

No one is just standing around with a stupid looking balloon over their head anymore...

The point is that the characters are now able to do what they are supposed to be doing...

It is much better now by far... Make a quick run through and tell me what you think...

It's the difference between a wax museum and modern animatronics...
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-11-2011, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_BlownApart View Post
It's the difference between a wax museum and modern animatronics...
So, the puppet-master is better able to move his puppets now, but once their role in the play is done, they are still silent giving the spectator/player no interaction beyond that which was put into them for their little on-stage role.

Believe me, I know what you're talking about and I'm excited about the possibilities myself. However, some missions like mine for example aren't a wax museum or a modern animatronics simply because they do not depend on large groups of specimen (NPC) to convey a story-element.

If I go through my mission, there is only one place where I can replace Contacts with NPC Group Actors, but then I'd lose the extra information those Contacts convey to the player when their immediate role in some objectives is completed. I still need them to be Contacts. So for now, they're to stand there, look pretty and say their lines on cue every time the player talks to them. I'm sure they don't like those silly bubbles above their heads, but they're the puppets here and I'm the author who decides I need them to stand rigidly and deliver their lines, at least for now...
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-11-2011, 09:10 AM
I hear you loud and clear... However... These guys never shut-up and constantly beg to die... so I believe you may be mistaken... The limitation is the amount of text available in the chat box of course... But the information is always available once the objective is met... unlike a pop-up which is there and then gone immediately...
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-11-2011, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_BlownApart View Post
...But the information is always available once the objective is met... unlike a pop-up which is there and then gone immediately...
Yup, and sometimes that's exactly what a story needs.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-11-2011, 11:37 AM
No doubt, total agreement here.. they will still have some usefulness...
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-12-2011, 05:51 AM
This is a great tutorial. I honestly can't say I had thought about using NPC groups as contacts.

The only drawback aside from what was mentioned is that Contacts are either immortal or are non-targetable so if you had to have a target in a battle situation where they could die, a contact would be needed at present.