Lt. Commander
# 21
01-12-2011, 06:47 AM
Contacts are by no means immortal... plasma grenades or other AOE will kill them. This can cause a mission to be uncompleteable.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-12-2011, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_BlownApart View Post
Contacts are by no means immortal... plasma grenades or other AOE will kill them. This can cause a mission to be uncompleteable.
And I was actually thinking of using that to get rid of a Contact on a map after it has served its intended goal(s).
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-12-2011, 10:14 AM
good idea... the question is how to accomplish it...
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-12-2011, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_BlownApart View Post
good idea... the question is how to accomplish it...
I'm planning to do some R&D on that actually and I'll post my findings if it works.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Another thing that I was playing around with: Kill a prisoner or a civilian. If you put a mastiff in a holding cell where it can't get to you to bite, then you can change the costume to anything else and choose to kill him/her. They can't fire back, so you'd essentially be murdering them in cold blood. Not sure how it fits with a story, but it's kind of a neat trick.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-12-2011, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_BlownApart
Ah.
Gotcha.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-12-2011, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
Another thing that I was playing around with: Kill a prisoner or a civilian. If you put a mastiff in a holding cell where it can't get to you to bite, then you can change the costume to anything else and choose to kill him/her. They can't fire back, so you'd essentially be murdering them in cold blood.
Try it and tell me if they don't magically teleport themselves out of the cage to bite you anyway. I can't recall which dev explained this to me, but I think the idea was that if an enemy-NPC is somehow blocked from getting at the player but are aggroed and within range, the enemy will attempt to super-jump at the player, and if all else fails, it'll transport itself to the player and fight the player anyway.

I did an experiment once. I placed a bunch of spiders, left them as spiders, in a building I made out of blocks so they were completely sealed. Then, I took one of those spiders and placed it within range of the spawn point. As soon as I'd spawn into the map and aggro that first spider, the rest of it's pack simply showed up and attacked me and my bridge officers. It was funny to watch, but unless explained in a story it would be immersion-breaking, especially if the story emphasized you could cold-bloodily kill someone in a cage only to have them appear by your side to bite you when you try it!
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-12-2011, 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDave View Post
This is a great tutorial. I honestly can't say I had thought about using NPC groups as contacts.

The only drawback aside from what was mentioned is that Contacts are either immortal or are non-targetable so if you had to have a target in a battle situation where they could die, a contact would be needed at present.
Thanks LordDave. I really appreciate the feedback.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-06-2011, 09:06 PM
Thanks for making this video, Kirkfat! It was very helpful to me.