Lt. Commander
# 1 Say NO to XP Boosting Items!
01-12-2011, 01:31 PM
So the thing that I was worried about here is the fact that these XP boosts bring us to a slippery slope. First come a few XP boosts, what's next? Damage boosts? Healing boosts? XP boosts are an ever-present item in many microtransaction stores, along with other gameplay changing items. While STO going F2P is perfectly fine, the store should not become a stereotypical F2P store. These XP boosts set a dangerous precedent for it becoming one, and I do not want the C Store to go down that path.

Here's a quote that puts it quite well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorra
Sigh I hope this isn't just the start... I can see it now ( pots to increase damage and defense, pots to increase pvp damage, pots to help in raids) all available in the c-store... This is really a turn for the worse think though I hope am wrong

Original OP:

From the latest Engineering Report:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
[*]Ways to boost XP gain while leveling up (new type of consumables)
STO does not need these. First off, this is a stereotypical microtransaction item - whether or not STO goes F2P, it's a money grab from the wallets of impatient/lazy/bored of the grind people. Secondly, the complaints about leveling speed on the forums are about the speed of leveling - and no, it's not because it's too slow.

STO does not need this gameplay affecting item in the C Store - or at all.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-12-2011, 01:34 PM
HOLY *tons of very un forum friendly curse words* NO!

Damn I hate leveling in here, but I do not want to see this ever.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Heh the game is too fast as it is, there should be mandatory EXP reducing items:p
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-12-2011, 01:36 PM
I say let people have them if they want them.

It's not going to affect your gameplay any.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-12-2011, 01:37 PM
Oh, I dunno, I could see it useful for leveling the umpteenth alt. Especially for factions who are kinda on the lacking side when it comes to stuff to do. *ahem*

It's people's own decision, really. As long as those who do this do not complain about fewer content on maximum level compared to the progression up to this point ...
I mean, it does not really affect other people's gameplay experience, does it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBludd View Post
Heh the game is too fast as it is, there should be mandatory EXP reducing items:p
I'd actually like that as a feature! Why do you need someone else to scale down? A dropdown menu where you could go like "Oh I wanna take my old [insert former rank of choice here] ship and do some stuff" would be cool. As long as it's PvE only.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-12-2011, 01:38 PM
If they only work for the first 2 tiers, I'd be fine with them.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-12-2011, 01:39 PM
Well the number of people who level up in 7 days and then cry about no end game content will increase for sure.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-12-2011, 01:39 PM
i have seen no indication that this would be a c-store item at all, in fact im pretty sure they would not offer this as a c-store item. time may prove me wrong.

if that is the plan then i would vote no.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-12-2011, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
Oh, I dunno, I could see it useful for leveling the umpteenth alt. Especially for factions who are kinda on the lacking side when it comes to stuff to do. *ahem*

It's people's own decision, really. As long as those who do this do not complain about fewer content on maximum level compared to the progression up to this point ...
I mean, it does not really affect other people's gameplay experience, does it?
Exactly what you pointed out, they'll race thru stuff, then complain the missions give out gear too low for them to use, and so on and so on, and it will just and to the moaning in here.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-12-2011, 01:43 PM
I say let people have them. If you don't like them don't use them just like anything else. Remember the old threads about "Federation cloaks will ruin the game" "this change has ruined PvP" "don't allow this" and they did it anyway, and the sky never fell and most of them turned out to be good changes and improvements. The sky didn't fall, the game didn't shut down, thousands of people didn't get mad and cancel their subscriptions. Life goes on. It's just a video game.

I support XP boosting items (not like, WAY over the top, but some here and some there are fine with me). After leveling several characters, I can tell you, from experience, it is extremely boring and not fun to have to spend ages leveling over and over and over.

Like anything, there should be fairness and balance and common sense needs to be used. It goes without saying. I fully agree that people need to earn their rank and XP. But this can still be done and people can still be given XP boosting items. Lots of other MMOs have them (SWG and LoTRO for instance, to name a couple).

The sky won't fall from this, I promise.