Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
01-12-2011, 01:51 PM
Maybe I'm being cynical, but given how much of a C Store style item this is, I'm a bit worried. The problem I have with them is mainly the fact that this will pave the way for all kinds of C Store items, if/when STO goes F2P. With a stipend of points, the only way to make money off the C Store would be to include items like this. The C store is already pushing the non-gameplay-unless-they're-available-in-game line in some people's opinions, and items like XP boosters will push it farther over.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
01-12-2011, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felderburg View Post
From the latest Engineering Report:



STO does not need these. First off, this is a stereotypical microtransaction item - whether or not STO goes F2P, it's a money grab from the wallets of impatient/lazy/bored of the grind people. Secondly, the complaints about leveling speed on the forums are about the speed of leveling - and no, it's not because it's too slow.

STO does not need this gameplay affecting item in the C Store - or at all.
You have a right to your opinion and I am glad you voiced it, but many others disagree with you. But that's what they are (on both sides) opinions. And if it makes Cryptic some extra money which goes towards improvement the game and adding content, and bringing in more players, I'm always for that. The more money they make, the larger development staff they can employ, and it means more content, more items, more fun for us, the players, ultimately. I for one, don't oppose that.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
01-12-2011, 01:54 PM
Trouble with XP boosters is that they're usually time-limited. "Double XP for 24 real-time hours", stuff like that.

So the only way someone can get full value from their investment is to sit at the computer for as long as possible, up to the full 24 hours. I'm not a doctor, but will reasonably state this is NOT healthy.

So, if Cryptic implement something to boost XP; let's hope it'll be point-limited and not time-limited. i.e. An XP widget that doubles the next n-thousand points of earned XP, with no expiration time.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
01-12-2011, 01:56 PM
If I had to pay for them, I wouldn't buy them. It's no skin off my nose if somebody else does. I don't think I'd go out of my way to get anything like that if it was an in-game reward or something.

The only real argument I can think of against this is that people who use this to bypass content and play time aren't getting the game experience to become better players. This would be detrimental to Team play. On the other hand, it could be a useful shortcut for veteran players who just want to get past the first couple of ranks.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
01-12-2011, 01:59 PM
So long as they arn't purchasble via c-store idm having an EXP boost item.

Leveling characters gets insanely boring when all your doing is repeating the same missions for the 4th time. Hell the fastest way to rankup is to spam the same gd mission over and over and over, I find it's worse than grinding because everything is just scripted (ignoring grinding completely trash/trivial mobs).


EDIT:: To above, STO doesn't promote team play anyway so the speed at which people level will not affect this.

Personally I wouldn't mind grouped PvE grinding on mobs with capabilities of players. Something like a (large and continuous) team of AI with all the powers players get and a few tactics that require team play/cooperation to get a decent skill/hr.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
01-12-2011, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas-
Maybe they work two jobs, or work full time, or have a family, or are a full time student, and don't have time to level up 3+ characters anytime reasonably soon, but they would love to get on and play and have fun and not have to do the boring lowly tasks over and over for months to get to a point where they can have fun doing STFs with people or running things with their friends. Seems to make sense to me. Granted, it isn't anyone else's fault if they are busy, but they may not have much control over it either. People have to eat and pay their bills and stuff, give em a break, I say.
The traditional counter-argument to this is that MMO gaming is competitive and that you should not be able to buy your way to the top. Just because you don't have a lot of time is no excuse. Ever tried telling Andre Agassi you should be able to beat him at tennis if you pay a certain amount because you don't have time to practice?

The argument that usually comes back is "Who are you to stop people from gaining levels quickly to play with their friends?"

The retort to that is "Why bother putting in levels in the game if you want everyone to be able to do everything equally? Or skills? Or anything that takes time to earn?"

As you can probably guess, I've seen this particular discussion more times than I care to count

Me, I don't care when in regards to STO. Levelling is easy enough that this must be the most casual-friendly online game I've ever played, and unless you really WANT to PvP or do the STFs it's basically a single-player game anyway. My only concern would be that the reason a lot of people are in support of the idea is because it's "boring to level up alts". Surrly that signifies a problem with lack of variety when it comes to levelling more than anything else.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
01-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felderburg View Post
Maybe I'm being cynical, but given how much of a C Store style item this is, I'm a bit worried. The problem I have with them is mainly the fact that this will pave the way for all kinds of C Store items, if/when STO goes F2P.
I don't have a problem with putting stuff in the C-Store, but I do think a couple of items may be a bit overpriced (Galaxy-X, Troi's outfit, etc.), but no one is forcing anyone to buy any of them. They are all 100% optional and you are given a choice to buy them or not.

I do think some items should be given to everyone without being placed in the C-Store - and some are - like vet rewards.

Having items put in the C-Store doesn't hurt the game, it brings them some profit which funds further game development, items and content we want. Further, it gives them a return on their investment to create those things for us, often at player request.

People need to stop complaining about having to pay for premium items. Atari is a business, in it to make money, first and foremost. I don't understand why they are derided as being evil for trying to make money, which is the main point of them being in business and making games.

If there are all kinds of new C-Store items published, great, I'm all for it. If they are too expensive, some people won't buy them and the prices will have to come down to compensate. (It is basically supply/demand). The more demand, the more they can charge. The less demand, the less they can charge, as people won't pay for things that aren't in demand, especially if the price is outrageous. It comes down to simple economics.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
01-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daevian
The traditional counter-argument to this is that MMO gaming is competitive and that you should not be able to buy your way to the top.
I understand your point, and it's well-taken. But I seriously doubt someone could actually afford to buy XP boosting tokens (which are often time limited in other games, or only work for x number of levels) all the way from bottom to top. And if so it would cost them heavily, probably.

No one really knows until Cryptic tells us more about what they have in mind for this. Why shoot it down before we even know the details? It's kind of like voting against a bill before you know what is in it, merely based on the title.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
01-12-2011, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas-
I understand your point, and it's well-taken. But I seriously doubt someone could actually afford to buy XP boosting tokens (which are often time limited in other games, or only work for x number of levels) all the way from bottom to top. And if so it would cost them heavily, probably.

No one really knows until Cryptic tells us more about what they have in mind for this. Why shoot it down before we even know the details? It's kind of like voting against a bill before you know what is in it, merely based on the title.
People can and do, if they have plenty of money and little time. It's happened before in other games and it can/will happen in this one too. The cry then is that you're creating a two-tier system, where people who have the money can pay for stuff that gives them an advantage over people who, through low income, cannot buy things like that and are stuck in the "slow" lane of getting things done, penalizing them for not having money.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
01-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felderburg View Post
From the latest Engineering Report:



STO does not need these. First off, this is a stereotypical microtransaction item - whether or not STO goes F2P, it's a money grab from the wallets of impatient/lazy/bored of the grind people. Secondly, the complaints about leveling speed on the forums are about the speed of leveling - and no, it's not because it's too slow.

STO does not need this gameplay affecting item in the C Store - or at all.
Did they say it would be in the C-store? The other consumables arent.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:02 AM.