Lt. Commander
# 11
01-12-2011, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekrit_Agent
This is why that strategy is not a good use of time. You'll waste a lot of time finding the right place to stand, etc. The more time you waste with the non-aggro method the more likely you'll have to wipe multiple times to get the positioning right. You're much, much better off using the "brute force" medical method as any wiping takes far less time. I think we got it 2nd or 3rd try instead of spending hours trying to find the right position and being punished spending another half hour wiping to try again. I'm sure someone will have an anecdote about how they had no issue with it though, but the non-aggro method was an utter fail every single time my team tried it...reliably someone would get aggro from a tactical drone even while out of LOS and not be able to manage the workers. Managing a weakened medical drone is far easier.
Not sure why this would take a lot of time. Maybe your first time through it. It's not like there are a whole lot of options on where to stand. Once you know where to go, it's the same each time. The terrain and the beam in locations don't change (or at least they haven't since season 2). When we run it, we always use the same positioning. For newbies, we just tell them where to stand. Telling them where to stand doesn't take anymore time than telling them how to do the "brute force" method really.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-12-2011, 02:02 PM
out of Infected, the cure, and KA I have to admit that the cure is the worst out of all of them.
Ever. The only way we got through the middle part was to bug it out.
There should be a better way.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-12-2011, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekrit_Agent
This is why that strategy is not a good use of time. You'll waste a lot of time finding the right place to stand, etc. The more time you waste with the non-aggro method the more likely you'll have to wipe multiple times to get the positioning right. You're much, much better off using the "brute force" medical method as any wiping takes far less time. I think we got it 2nd or 3rd try instead of spending hours trying to find the right position and being punished spending another half hour wiping to try again. I'm sure someone will have an anecdote about how they had no issue with it though, but the non-aggro method was an utter fail every single time my team tried it...reliably someone would get aggro from a tactical drone even while out of LOS and not be able to manage the workers. Managing a weakened medical drone is far easier.
This was also my experience but I think it was partly due to players in the group who were not experienced in the mission (including myself) and not being really sure of what was possible or not. I have done it 8 times and still don't know the right spots to stand.

I finally completed it on the 8th attempt. The first two gates we were using the 'don't kill medics' approach. It was working but there was a guy on the team who didn't understand the words "don't kill the medics" or "don't use aoe" or "don't use turrets, drones or security team". We finally kicked him because he was more trouble than he was worth but then we got a player in who had completed the mission loads of times. On the 3rd gate he knew exactly where to stand and what to do for the non-aggro method and we got through first time. He knew really helpful things like it takes 20 seconds for a worker to bring down a node, and once you knock the worker off he has to start again. He also knew exactly what to do with the boss so he got us through it.

If someone could make a guide to this mission as to where to stand and what weapons to use that would be great.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staran View Post
out of Infected, the cure, and KA I have to admit that the cure is the worst out of all of them.
Ever. The only way we got through the middle part was to bug it out.
There should be a better way.
I'm glad you said that. I still haven't done KA so I'm glad it's easier than Cure.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-12-2011, 09:45 PM
I straight up refuse to play The Cure anymore in its current form. It's horrifying and Gozer acts like the design is working as intended, but I'm elated to see this nonsensical approach has been overruled (?) and they'll be looking at the design (along with the bugs) according to the new Engineering Report. I never had an issue with teamwork or solving puzzles to figure out the mechanics of something but people shouldn't walk away scarred for life or completely swear off PUGs to be successful. I am also glad that the "supporters" who obviously have nothing better to do IRL than hone their STO keyboard skills have been shut down officially

From a perspective of principle, the very idea that you have to go study a 2+ hour mission on YouTube or run with a team that is focused on rote memorization and execution of tactics and minimizing dialog (i.e. STORY) windows to avoid new spawn...while actively discouraging players of varying skill levels to combine their efforts on a shared adventure, engage them in a compelling story, and have a shot at solving reasonably challenging puzzles... is one of the stupidest cooperative game designs I've ever heard of especially for a game with precious little endgame content to begin with. There weren't always easy answers to difficult problems in the shows and STFs should certainly reflect that but our herpes used a combination of creativity, determination, and resources (including some run-n-gun) to achieve their goals.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-12-2011, 10:25 PM
I really kind of enjoy doing the cure in it's present form... But I guess it's just me and all the rest of the people I play with that are sadists... it just really doesn't seem that hard. It seems that no matter how many tips and tactics that are posted for these that you fellows are having troubles...

I've admitted that there could be some adjustments made and that there seem to be some escalations of borg mayhem from some players descriptions, but it never seems to have any real impact on our gameplay.

It's unfortunate that you guys seem to be having such a hard time with them... I wish there was something I could say to make your lives easier with the borg STF's.

I suppose the only option left is to petition the Dev Gods with prayers for salvation from the borg onslaught...

While my personal desire would be for new STF's, it would appear that the current borg STF's will get the once over from Mighty Gozer and perhaps he can find the source of your discomfort.

While you may attempt to taunt me with petty words... I have no real animosity for any players and would hope that you can find a way to get some enjoyment from these missions as much as I have.

The frustrating thing for me is that the groups I run these with don't really have any troubles and don't need a cheat sheet or rote memorization to have fun with these missions, yet after all the tips and advice you guys just keep failing and getting discouraged.

Attack me all you want.. belittle my RL activities or lack there-of all you care to ... I'm not going anywhere and my true intention is to be helpful, yet sometimes I can be a little harsh and think that some tough love is in order for players to grow beyond what they believe is the limit of their abilities.

I was once as you were... frustrated and confused and incapable of seeing what was right in front of me the whole time... There was a certain point where it changed for me very suddenly and "I got it right"... I hope you guys can find it for yourselves because it seems that no matter the help we try to offer that you must find your own way or give up trying...
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-12-2011, 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalFlash View Post
If someone could make a guide to this mission as to where to stand and what weapons to use that would be great.

Let me post this from another thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinnio View Post
First field with 4 Transformers

First of all we make teams:
Alpha Team (2 officers)
Beta Team (2 officers)
Runner (1 Science Officer)

Alpha team
Alpha Team protect Transformer 1 from Worker Drones.
Alpha team will only engage Worker Drones from a safe distance (25 meters from Transformer 1).
Alpha Team must not attack Borg Drones or Interlink Nodes. This is the only task of Alpha Team.

Beta Team
Beta Team will clear Transformer 2 from 2 Worker Drones.
Beta Team will only engage the Worker Drones from at least 25m from Transformer 2.
Beta Team must not attack Borg Drones and Interlink Node at Transformer 2.

After the two workers at Transformer 2 are dead, 1 person of Beta Team will run for Transformer 4. This person will do this without engaging in any form of combat. On arrival this person will activate Transformer 4 and protect it from Worker Drones.
The other person of Beta Team will join the Runner at Transformer 3 to help him/her protecting it from Worker Drones.

The Runner
The Runner will activate Transformer 1, Transformer 2 and Transformer 3.
Transformer 3 needs to be activated when Beta Team has cleared Transformer 2 of the 2 Worker Drones and is waiting at Transformer 3 and 4.
Beta Team won’t have enough time to run for Transformer 4 if the Runner activates Transformer 3 before Beta Team has cleared Transformer 2. So make sure this is timed properly.
When Transformer 3 has been activated by The Runner, The Runner will get company from one person of Beta Team and they will stay at Transformer 3 to protect it from Worker Drones.
I recommend that The Runner is a Science Officer, because a group of borgs will spawn close at Transformer 3 and will be all over The Runner. Also if you see any Borg Drones moving from Transformer 3 to Transformer 4, shoot it.

Attention:
Once Transformer 3 is activated, one ‘sneaky’ Worker Drone will appear who will move towards Transformer 2. The Runner and the one person of Beta Team will need to eliminate this Worker Drone first, or they will get into trouble protecting Transformer 3.
See http://yfrog.com/c9naaloj for the exact location of the ‘Sneaky’ Worker Drone (Marked with a Red Cross) and positions of Alpha and Beta Team.
The blue and green lines indicate the path Beta team needs to follow to get to Transformer 3 and Transformer 4.

Second field with 4 Transformers

First of all we make teams:
Alpha Team (2 officers)
Beta Team (2 officers)
Runner (1 Science Officer)

Alpha team
Alpha Team protect Transformer 1 from Worker Drones.
Alpha team will only engage Worker Drones from a safe distance (25 meters from Transformer 1).
Alpha Team must not attack Borg Drones or Interlink Nodes. This is the only task of Alpha Team.

Beta Team
Beta Team will clear Transformer 2 from 2 Worker Drones.
Beta Team will only engage the Worker Drones from at least 25m from Transformer 2.
Beta Team must not attack Borg Drones and Interlink Node at Transformer 2.

After the two workers at Transformer 2 are dead, Beta Team will run to Transformer 3 and stand on the rock near Transformer 3.
On arrival Beta Team will activate Transformer 3 and protect it from Worker Drones.

The Runner
The Runner will activate Transformer 1, Transformer 2 and Transformer 4.
Activate them when possible and after activating Transformer 4, defend it with your life.

Attention:
Once Transformer 3 is activated, two ‘sneaky’ Worker Drone will appear who will move towards Transformer 1 and Transformer 2. The Beta Team only kill the sneaky Worker Drone that is going for Transformer 2. The sneaky Worker Drone that is going for Transformer 1 will be killed by Alpha Team.
The Beta Team will need to eliminate this Worker Drone first, or there is a good chance the Sneaky Worker will deactivate Transformer 2.

See the http://yfrog.com/mvnaamloj for the exact location of the ‘Sneaky’ Worker Drones (Marked with a Red Cross) and positions of Alpha and Beta Team.
The blue line indicate the path Beta team needs to follow to get to Transformer 3.

Have fun and good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinnio View Post
For killings the boss without aggroing borg node groups: http://img155.imageshack.us/i/bossea.jpg/
- If it is your first time, i recommend to try it first with science officer for pulling the boss.
- Science officer shoot one time on boss on a distance of 30m, and then keep a distance of 35m all the time and keep walking back till the boss is at tree. You may have to shoot boss one more time while he's walking, so the boss will not beam back to his original position.
- If the boss is at tree, the science officer run to boss and fight him in close range with bat'leth or shoot him.
- When the science officer is fighting boss in close range, your team can shoot the boss at a distance of 25m. Your team always have to keep distance of 25m of boss. Your team will not use security officers or plasma grenades on boss.

If somehow you fail or the boss beamed back to his original position and boss personal shield is not full, you can not pull boss anymore. Then the whole team will run back to the gate, wait few seconds and boss personal shield is recharged. Now you can pull him again.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-13-2011, 01:18 AM
The cure is the most frustrating mission i've played in STO. The borg themselves are pretty easy and you can run through up to the gates in no time at all. But the gates... arrrggghhh they just get me worked up. I have only ever got past gate 3 once and i've never got past gate 4. The problem i see with it is that each group that spawns in is balanced for the whole team, yet you are often left with only one or 2 players to try and tank through the spawns whilst trying to stop the workers which makes it very near impossible to manage. Also, you are forced to stay in a relatively small area which makes it so easy for the borg to come up and chain stun you, even if you have hypos you can end up getting stunned for so long the workers have finished. The cure was fun the first time i tried it but now i can't stand it.

I finally finished it today after too many attempts and i have to say that the bosses are very easy, and it's fairly simple to see what you need to do and come up with good solutions that work, without being so easy you don't have to concentrate. They could do with a little bit of a difficulty ramp up but in general the bosses are fun and pretty much spot on. I still haven't got past the gates, but by joining up with a group who were on the boss already i was able to get full credit for the mission and finally see the storyline trough (i like it; it's getting interesting; i can't wait to see what happens in the next mission): i don't know if this is a bug or anything?
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-13-2011, 05:01 AM
The Cure needs a Cure itself.

Remove this dire trash lol , fix and replace.

IS this really the best they can comer up with?
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-13-2011, 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalFlash View Post
My strategy works best with Stun Pistol and Sniper Rifle. I shall mention this in my topic with the strategy