Lt. Commander
# 11
01-13-2011, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax
Plus Worf finally got good in DS9. In TNG for several seasons he was just a d00d that screamed a lot and got beat up a lot. TNG gave him good character.
yeah TNG Worf really did earn the nickname 'microbrain' "I shall shoot the viewscreen, thereby killing the bad guy!"

As for DS9 many of the eps in the first seasons are very slow, but they do have some amazing gems among them like 'Duet' and "The Wire'. Great character pieces involving Cardassians.

Even once it picks up in the action department most of my other favourites are one offs that don't really deal with the Dominion like 'The Visitor' "Hard Time' "Trials and Tribble-ations' "Empok Nor' "Time's Orphan' and 'The Sound of her Voice'.

Ferengi eps are always good for a laugh too. Armin Shimerman really made up for the appalling way Ferengi were portayed in TNG (To think they were building them up to be the big bad guys of TNG...)

As for the Dominion war itself, there's eps like 'improbable cause' and 'the die is cast' are great Garak pieces. 'Homefront' and 'Paradise Lost' are eps which people LOVE or HATE with no inbetween as it slaps Roddenberry's ideals right in the face with the silken glove of reality, in later seasons 'In the Pale Moonlight' follows up the slap with a knee to the groin and 'The Siege of AR-558' finishes it off with a headbutt.

Plus, the ep 'Battle Lines' has a monolgue about the futility of PvP without a death penalty. Gotta give them points for seeing far enough into our future to be able to say something on STO's basic gameplay mechanics. :p
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-13-2011, 09:27 AM
DS9 showed us a side of Star Trek we'd never before seen. Before DS9, we had JOHNNY AMERICAN saving the UNIVERSE from ITSELF (fanfare), which I can't stand, in TOS, and the exact same thing updated for "the times" and "political correctness" in TNG. TOS and TNG were both good series. TNG remains my favorite Trek series to this day. But DS9... finally felt real.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-13-2011, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormoran View Post
yeah TNG Worf really did earn the nickname 'microbrain' "I shall shoot the viewscreen, thereby killing the bad guy!"
His attitude got better as the series went on, although he never quite got over getting tossed around like a rag doll or have something dropped on him in that series. Considering how many times he was injured, and even taking into account Klingon durability, that spinal injury in "Ethics" really doesn't come as much of a surprise. He didn't quite shake it in DS9 later, but the writers at least gave him enough bad ass moments to offset that - not to mention the post-Generation films where he actually gets to beat or blow stuff up.

"Definately feeling aggressive tendencies sir!" indeed.

I will say that when I rewatch the DS9 series on DVD, I skip over the Mirror Universe episodes; once or twice was okay, but after that, it was just egregious. Fortunately, they don't have any relevance on stories in the "Prime" universe, so they can be ignored without issues.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-13-2011, 09:34 AM
DS9 is actually my fav. The first two seasons were pretty hard to take, thou. Surprised no one mentions the awesomeness that is Garak. Not so much the actor (kind of a scenery chewer) but talk about a great character. Some of the best acting in any trek series is in DS9, too. The guy who played Gul Dukot - every time he is in a scene, he owns it. Avery Brooks got to be a better actor over the course of the series, too. Oh, and Martok. Another awesome character and actor.

The one I like the least it Voyager.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-13-2011, 09:41 AM
If it wasn't for all the religious stuff being shoe horned into every episode, I may have liked it a smidge. While I am kicking your butt I don't want to be preached at.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-13-2011, 09:48 AM
So here's my question, since at the end of the series, Sisko ascends(for lack of a better term) to be with the Prophets, and seeing how the Prophets exist in a non-linear temporal fashion. Does that mean Sisko was with the Prophets the whole time of the DS9 series?
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-13-2011, 09:48 AM
Well, I like all of the Star Trek series (Yes, even Enterprise) and DS9 is among my favourites. I think it's the fact that it does have an element of realism to it. They aren't out exploring the galaxy (At least, not in the same manner as in TNG and TOS) but they're on a space station. There are civillians on DS9 and people getting on with their day-to-day business (though this was something we say in TNG, to an extent). The first few seasons are a little stretched with many less than pleasing storylines, this changes after season Worf comes in in season four though. The characters on DS9 are explored as individuals in ways we didn't really see in other series (Debateably). My advice to the original poster is to start from season four.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-13-2011, 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTWinters
So here's my question, since at the end of the series, Sisko ascends(for lack of a better term) to be with the Prophets, and seeing how the Prophets exist in a non-linear temporal fashion. Does that mean Sisko was with the Prophets the whole time of the DS9 series?
He was after but not before.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-13-2011, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTWinters
Yes. He was there all along, and at the same time, he was never there.

Don't try to wrap your head around time shenanigans, man.

It'll eat your sanity.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-13-2011, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capulet View Post
He was after but not before.
Are you sure? I remember him being chosen as the Emissary of the Prophets since he was the first corpreal being they had met, but then there was that Bajoran who met them 300 years (+ or -) before hand as he viewed it, but he met the Prophets after Sisko. It just seems to me that since they effectively exist outside of the linear flow time, that his post ascended self would have been there during his pre-ascended self's meetings with the Prophets