Lt. Commander
# 1 Klingon Diplomacy
01-12-2011, 10:34 AM
We all know that the Klingon faction, in its current form, is not the equal of the Federation faction in terms of content. Most STO forum denizens seem to agree that Klingons need more content, but a part of the issue is that the content cannot simply be re-skinned Federation content.

So, how would Klingon diplomacy work? Klingons rule an empire and are regarded as one of the preeminent military powers in the Alpha Quadrant. Klingons are guided by a sense of honor and in general seem to have a more warlike worldview than the Federation.

We've never heard too many great details about the demographic structure of the Klingon Empire; we do know, in STO, that the Empire consists of Klingon-populated worlds, Gorn worlds, and likely Orion and Naussican worlds. There are also the Klingon Great Houses and many other internal political forces to deal with.

I envision Klingon diplomacy as having a far more substantial internal component than Federation diplomacy.

We already have the Great Houses. We could choose a handful of canonical Great Houses and bring them to life in the game. Klingon players could choose to work for a particular great house and deal with that houses's diplomatic concerns on the Homeworld and on vassal worlds. A Klingon diplomat would need to balance both his House's own desire for honor and prestige on the Homeworld with the external goals of that house.

Internal conflict appears to be the key to authentic Klingon diplomacy, and I think there is enough background material here to make Klingon diplomacy have a very uniquely Klingon feel to it.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-12-2011, 10:36 AM
This is at least the fourth topic on this. The first one I saw made by me, then one greatly expanding on that idea, by Grox, then another closely related. Then this one, that even shares the exact same name as mine.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-12-2011, 10:37 AM
The concept of Klingon Diplomacy has been talked about a lot, I prefer the "Conquering" idea more to be honest, makes more sense for Klingons.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-12-2011, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heimskringla View Post

Klingons rule an empire and are regarded as one of the preeminent military powers in the Alpha Quadrant.
you spelt Beta Quadrant wrong.:p
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Quote:
So, how would Klingon diplomacy work?
Have you played the Breen featured series? That involves alot of diplomacy.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-12-2011, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Indeed.

When you are supposed to get the Deferi prisoners back, one of the persistant options for Klingons is "Open Fire" even though it fails the mission.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-12-2011, 10:45 AM
Quote:
I envision Klingon diplomacy as having a far more substantial internal component than Federation diplomacy.

We already have the Great Houses. We could choose a handful of canonical Great Houses and bring them to life in the game. Klingon players could choose to work for a particular great house and deal with that houses's diplomatic concerns on the Homeworld and on vassal worlds. A Klingon diplomat would need to balance both his House's own desire for honor and prestige on the Homeworld with the external goals of that house.

Internal conflict appears to be the key to authentic Klingon diplomacy, and I think there is enough background material here to make Klingon diplomacy have a very uniquely Klingon feel to it.
I do like this though.

On a side not how about utilising the orion syndicate more. the orions have all kinds of shady diplomacy going on plus protection rackets, narcotic deals, bank thefts etc.

id love to see that explored.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-13-2011, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Yes, it does. However, it's not quite the kind of gameplay I'm talking about as far as Klingon diplomacy. One of the persistent options for Feds is "Provoke the Breen."

Conquering is certainly a part of Klingon diplomacy, but I think solely focusing on that aspect reduces Klingons to simple warmongers which is fairly one dimensional. They are a warrior society and that ethos permeates their worldview, but there's more to Klingons than the business end of a Dk'tagh.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-13-2011, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Conquering is certainly a part of Klingon diplomacy, but I think solely focusing on that aspect reduces Klingons to simple warmongers which is fairly one dimensional. They are a warrior society and that ethos permeates their worldview, but there's more to Klingons than the business end of a Dk'tagh.
TOS: Errand of Mercy

Organia, a neutral planet that is hotly contested by both the Federation and Klingons becomes a target for both sides due to its strategic position between the two governments. The Federation goes to negotiate, the Klingons go to occupy and conquer.

DS9 story arc: Klingon-Cardassian War

The Klingons invade Cardassia Prime and execute the government officials, installing an overseer that allows conditions of squalor and plague to ravage populations on Cardassia and its colonies. The occupation is defined by barbarity and cruelty by the Klingon forces, and is an overall humanitarian crisis.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-13-2011, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP3CTREnyc
TOS: Errand of Mercy

Organia, a neutral planet that is hotly contested by both the Federation and Klingons becomes a target for both sides due to its strategic position between the two governments. The Federation goes to negotiate, the Klingons go to occupy and conquer.

DS9 story arc: Klingon-Cardassian War

The Klingons invade Cardassia Prime and execute the government officials, installing an overseer that allows conditions of squalor and plague to ravage populations on Cardassia and its colonies. The occupation is defined by barbarity and cruelty by the Klingon forces, and is an overall humanitarian crisis.
And that is related to my point how? Yes, Klingons are apt to use warfare as a means to achieve a "diplomatic" end, but that is not the only tool in their arsenal, certainly not internally. You seem to be under the impression that I propose a system of Klingon diplomacy free from violence and bloodshed; I am not.
Closed Thread