Lt. Commander
I was just wodering if it would be possible to change careers at some point durng the leveling process? Start as an engineer and change to tactical or vice versa. Would make for some interesting "builds". If it could be done I would see it working as you keep the special captain abilities you acquired from your old career but gain no new ones. You then gain the captain abilities of your new careers as you advance. You don't get the ones you missed only the ones still to come.

Just to put down the obvious objections before they occur there is canon source for this. Geordi started his career (read the frist couple of seasons of TNG) as a bridge officer in the helmsman/navigator role. Sometime during the second or third season he was promoted to Chief Engineer. A definite career change since he was never labled/billed or even worked in Engineering prior to his promotion.

Just a thought/question.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-13-2011, 05:58 AM
Likely to keep things simple, I imagine if implemented it would be a full respec and you swap your powers for the other stream (as though you were always that profession). Likely for a nominal C-Store price. Perhaps the concept of promoting a first officer to a playable captain will fill this niche need (assuming the new captain starts off at least at the Captain rank).

As for the canon argument, I always liked to think that Geordi was always an engineer, just that he was trying his hand at the command path or needed more experience on the bridge or this was part of general/command training before being promoted as the engineer chief.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-13-2011, 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore_Stipe
Geordi started his career (read the frist couple of seasons of TNG) as a bridge officer in the helmsman/navigator role. Sometime during the second or third season he was promoted to Chief Engineer. A definite career change since he was never labled/billed or even worked in Engineering prior to his promotion.
Memory-Alpha says otherwise: Geordi Laforge on Memory-Alpha.

It says here that Geordi had a talent for engineering in his Academy days. Do note that the helmsman position in the TNG era was usually filled by junior officers of nearly any division (oftentimes wearing command red as junior officers), and at the time Geordi was a junior officer early TNG.

Once he got his promotion to full lieutenant, he was assigned to his true calling as chief engineer and his uniform color to yellow, Operations (which up to DS9 era covered both Security/Tactical and Engineering).

Memory-Alpha's article on helmsman positions would clarify it further, as it shows that even senior officers of different divisions once held a helmsman position: Helmsman article on Memory-Alpha
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-13-2011, 08:35 AM
I support the idea of a science officer transferring into command and thus having a combination of lower level science skills and higher level command skills.

Perhaps as an incentive NOT to retrain/retoken, because such career transfers only can happen in the moment?
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-13-2011, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazumaKat
Memory-Alpha says otherwise: Geordi Laforge on Memory-Alpha.

It says here that Geordi had a talent for engineering in his Academy days. Do note that the helmsman position in the TNG era was usually filled by junior officers of nearly any division (oftentimes wearing command red as junior officers), and at the time Geordi was a junior officer early TNG.

Once he got his promotion to full lieutenant, he was assigned to his true calling as chief engineer and his uniform color to yellow, Operations (which up to DS9 era covered both Security/Tactical and Engineering).

Memory-Alpha's article on helmsman positions would clarify it further, as it shows that even senior officers of different divisions once held a helmsman position: Helmsman article on Memory-Alpha
Well if you read further along the article you will see he transfered from command division to Engineering thus the changed careers. Yes it states he had a talent for it in the academy but his early career track was in the command division. I am not a fan of complete respecs as they make no sense at all. However, the ability to transfer to anotehr division because taletns become obvious as you move along makes sense.

As stated in the OP the easiet way to do this is to keep you old abilites and acquire new abilities in the new career but only the ones you would get at the appropriate ranks. In other words you don't get the ones you missed.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-13-2011, 09:40 AM
A better example would be Benjamin Sisko. The first time you see him, he's a Commander, First Officer of the USS Saratoga. He then transfers to Deep Space 9 as Station Commander.

However, Following Wolf 359, Sisko travels to earth and takes the position of Lead Designer for the Defiant class project. After completing said project, Sisko returns to Deep Space 9 and resumes command.

Later, Sisko travels back to Earth, and is assigned as Acting Head of Earth Security. Following the Changeling crisis, he again returns to Deep Space 9.

So, Sisko was involved in Command (first officer, station commander), Engineering (lead designer of the Defiant), and Security (Earth Security). I don't recall him going to the skill trainer and asking for a full respec. :p

------------------------

Another example, Worf. Worf started out as relief officer (conn, etc) on the Enterprise. After Yar's death, he became the security/tactical chief.

Later, Worf transfered to DS9 as Strategic Operations, a merger of command and tactical. He was also the Defiants commander in some situations (such as First Contact).

And lastly, Worf became the Ambassador to Q'onos.

So Worf was involved with Command (relief officer, commander of Defiant), tactical/security (Enterprise/DS9), and Diplomacy. Again, no full respecs.

-----------------------

In fact...the only Starfleet officer I know of who went through a full respec, was Picard. Q allowed him to see how his life would've been if he hadn't been stabbed by the Nausican (TNG: "Tapestry"). Picard, of course, went back to being a Captain at the end of the episode.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-13-2011, 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuatela
A better example would be Benjamin Sisko. The first time you see him, he's a Commander, First Officer of the USS Saratoga. He then transfers to Deep Space 9 as Station Commander.

However, Following Wolf 359, Sisko travels to earth and takes the position of Lead Designer for the Defiant class project. After completing said project, Sisko returns to Deep Space 9 and resumes command.

Later, Sisko travels back to Earth, and is assigned as Acting Head of Earth Security. Following the Changeling crisis, he again returns to Deep Space 9.

So, Sisko was involved in Command (first officer, station commander), Engineering (lead designer of the Defiant), and Security (Earth Security). I don't recall him going to the skill trainer and asking for a full respec. :p

------------------------

Another example, Worf. Worf started out as relief officer (conn, etc) on the Enterprise. After Yar's death, he became the security/tactical chief.

Later, Worf transfered to DS9 as Strategic Operations, a merger of command and tactical. He was also the Defiants commander in some situations (such as First Contact).

And lastly, Worf became the Ambassador to Q'onos.

So Worf was involved with Command (relief officer, commander of Defiant), tactical/security (Enterprise/DS9), and Diplomacy. Again, no full respecs.

-----------------------

In fact...the only Starfleet officer I know of who went through a full respec, was Picard. Q allowed him to see how his life would've been if he hadn't been stabbed by the Nausican (TNG: "Tapestry"). Picard, of course, went back to being a Captain at the end of the episode.
heh, I just thought of what would it be like to have a career path: station commander.

If you thought Starship duties were boring, wait until your only option out is a run-about, you fight the same enemies daily in the same zones, beam down to the same planet all the time, deal with the same annoying Ferengi...

lol