Lt. Commander
# 1 Devs Request: Adoptions
01-14-2011, 01:12 AM
How about introducing the option to "Adopt" a person, Alt or Bridge Officer.

Much in the same way to target someone to invite them to a fleet or a group you could target a friend or maybe a real life family member who plays STO and choose between several invite options, something like: "Request to be Father/Mother of..." or "Request to be Son/Daughter of..."

If my Klingon toon K'Vagh where too be adopted his title would read:

Lieutenant General
K'Vagh Son of XXXX

Adoptions wouldn't have to be just limited to, for example father and son, other options could be titles such of "Mentor to/of...", "Follower of...", "Disciple of....", "Pupil to/of....", "Teacher to/of...." "Brother/Sister of..." and of course "Husband/Wife of....."or other canon specific titles.

There are also numerous lore/canon examples of this found throughout the Star trek Universe, Klingons are the most notable but also Ferengi and Cardasians have stated their family history when announcing their names. And as such would be great for RP, especially with the Husband of and Wife of titles in there. (I can see the marriage ceremonies on Risa now!)

Of course you will get the occasional person abusing the system to create "comedy" titles but this would not pose any more of a problem than the current naming restrictions allow, and i think that the additional options and RP freedom it allows would outweigh all the "Father of Funk" or "Son of a Btch" titles you would see. Besides with little effort these too could be added too the Restricted Name List if they arent already.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-14-2011, 04:31 AM
Actually there is a way to do this already in game. You just use the First - Middle - Last name section in the renaming and biography window of each BO.
For example my KDF captain's Weapons Officer is named as follows:
First: B'Lara
Middle: Daughter of
Last: Shenara
In the character window it reads as, "B'Lara Daughter of Shenara".
And of course you can alway change that because BO names aren't fixed.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-14-2011, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightErrant View Post
Actually there is a way to do this already in game. You just use the First - Middle - Last name section in the renaming and biography window of each BO.
For example my KDF captain's Weapons Officer is named as follows:
First: B'Lara
Middle: Daughter of
Last: Shenara
In the character window it reads as, "B'Lara Daughter of Shenara".
And of course you can alway change that because BO names aren't fixed.
True, its not ideal though. But its a very clever workaround, well done sir.
I just thought that as this idea requires no additional graphical work that this was something that would be fairly straight forward to add and would be something which would provide a maximum amount of gain vs very little effort to implement. That said I know nothing of coding or programming and like others thought that giving us the ability to sit in a chair would be a simple task, so I could be very wrong.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-14-2011, 10:25 AM
I think it's best using the existing tools for that kind of thing. Your character's bio, the first/middle/last name the previous poster mentioned, etc.