Lt. Commander
# 1 Deleted Chars
01-13-2011, 04:36 PM
Ok, through my stupidity, I accidentally deleted a character off of Holodeck that I THOUGHT I was deleting from Tribble. I sent in a ticket, and the reply to the ticket was

"We've reviewed your account and the character you would like to restore, and have determined that your character is not a viable candidate for restoration"

Now I deleted the character, sent the ticket in within 2 minutes and got a reply within 10 minutes, I am just curious what makes the character not viable?

Don't get me wrong, I understand that through my bone-headedness, I don't deserve to get it back, I am just curious WHY it's "not viable" (obviously they DO have the ability). Granted the character was only LC2... he WAS my Memory Alpha character, and he had a TON of anomalies on him (while will take me days to recover with a new char).
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-14-2011, 03:28 AM
I don't think the specific policy is explained anywhere or that they will explain it, but I wouldn't be surprised if the low level of your character could be the reason. I think I've heard that other companies have similar restrictions. I suppose one hidden concern is - "will this mean the guy stops playing this game forever?". Losing a Captain and upwards might lead to this if it's your only char, but if you have several, not even that might change things.

There are safeguards against accidentally deleting chars in place, and they work for most people. Only us Tribble Testers might still fall into the trap you indeed fell in...
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-14-2011, 08:29 AM
That's what I was thinking, char level only being LC, but he was up pretty far in Memory Alpha crafting, and had a couple thousand anomalies in his inventory.

I'm not terribly concerned, it'll take a few days to gather and grind one of my regular chars back up to that level (or start a new one again to level as I go along)

You know what fooled me into thinking I was deleting a Tribble char? There is a "Create Content" tab now, so I was sure I was on Tribble (guess that'll teach me to re-log if I am not sure)
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-14-2011, 08:45 AM
One thing I do to distinguish between Tribble and Halodeck is I only have 1 or 2 of my "Regular" Halodeck chars on there and the rest are unique. That away I can tell just by looking at the Char selection screen which server I'm on. I know that doesn't make it any easier for the "loss" (you have my condolences!), but it might be helpful in the future.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-14-2011, 07:04 PM
No that IS an excellent point, I always end up copying my chars over to Tribble when a new big patch comes, cause I like to go at them from different angles, but I end up not playing on half of them, so what I should do is keep my main Fed and main KDF char on there and that's it.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-15-2011, 04:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkshadow9498
Ok, through my stupidity, I accidentally deleted a character off of Holodeck that I THOUGHT I was deleting from Tribble. I sent in a ticket, and the reply to the ticket was

"We've reviewed your account and the character you would like to restore, and have determined that your character is not a viable candidate for restoration"

Now I deleted the character, sent the ticket in within 2 minutes and got a reply within 10 minutes, I am just curious what makes the character not viable?

Don't get me wrong, I understand that through my bone-headedness, I don't deserve to get it back, I am just curious WHY it's "not viable" (obviously they DO have the ability). Granted the character was only LC2... he WAS my Memory Alpha character, and he had a TON of anomalies on him (while will take me days to recover with a new char).
Just a thought here, perhaps it is just as simple as the Holodeck not having a "Waste Basket" that players dump Chars into when they hit Delete?? On your home system, you can always pull it out of the Trash Can, but maybe Holodeck does not have that function available to it.

When you use a char, it saves all changes as they happen, and when you make a change, it is forever.