Lt. Commander
# 1 Why no Dominion fandom?
01-15-2011, 07:51 PM
Random stupid question, but why isn't there much love in Trek fandom for the Dominion? I know they were only on DS9, but I thought they were one of the most effective villains in the whole franchise. Heck, I'd say that from a story perspective they beat the Borg in some areas, just because they were written to avoid the dramatic pitfalls the Borg stumbled into.

And yet, there's plenty of fans of the Klingons, Romulans, Borg, and even Cardassians (me included), but not the Dominion. Just seems odd to me.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-15-2011, 09:04 PM
Maybe because the Dominion consists of living goo puddles who are obsessed with either controlling or destroying "solids", goo puddle worshiping clones, and dinosaur faced foot soldiers that are drug dependent and live for less then a decade.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-15-2011, 09:31 PM
^

This, I think. Some might argue that the Dominion also had a cool "foreign policy", but I don't think they really differ that much from the Romulans (in terms of reasons and applied strategies).
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-15-2011, 09:40 PM
I don't dislike the Dominion. The Dominion just doesn't have very many redeeming qualities. All we were really told about them were that they were Interstellar ******s. All they do is conquer and pillage. They have hair trigger sensitivity and they are brutally efficient.

Compare that to any of the other factions.

Klingons have a rich backstory as a warrior race. WE know alot about their culture and ways.

The Romulans are sneaky and protective but WE know enough about them now to understand the way Romulans think. While Brutal at times they are more or less just defending their space and home.

The Cardassians Also have a rich backstory and we have seen their Politics change to a Militaristic society back to a Democracy over the course of DS9. We know ALOT about the Cardassians Culture and people can latch onto it.

The Dominion just doesn't have many feel good backstories involved. Pretty much they all serve the Founders who are huge ******. There were some stories how a certain section of the Jem Hadar wanted to escape and the God Weyoun but all we really got from that was the Dominion was bad and people wanted to escape. There just isn't much to latch onto.

Heck The Borg are more interesting than the Dominion. They have been explored and their mindset simple even though brutal. We know why the Borg think the way they do.

I suppose we know why the Dominion think they way they do as well but in their case it's more of a case of blowing a situation way out of proportion by a group of people who needed a hug.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-15-2011, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquizitor View Post

I suppose we know why the Dominion think they way they do as well but in their case it's more of a case of blowing a situation way out of proportion by a group of people who needed a hug.

You could argue that all they do is hug, they just can't hug solid people so they kill them instead.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-15-2011, 10:20 PM
The drug factor would be my guess. Ketracel white was a narcotic that held the Dominion together (by controlling the Jem'Hadar) if I remember correctly.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-15-2011, 11:31 PM
Quote:
I don't dislike the Dominion. The Dominion just doesn't have very many redeeming qualities. All we were really told about them were that they were Interstellar ******s. All they do is conquer and pillage. They have hair trigger sensitivity and they are brutally efficient.
How can one resist to make a comment about this? I mean really... The comment in question is very flammable political and yet very true.
Would it be worth dropping the comment? It just might. However I need more coffee before I do that. :p

Such humour.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-16-2011, 12:56 AM
Quote:
Genocidical paranoid anybodies that rely on eugenics just aren't the best group for a fandom.

On the other hand the dominion is a loose political group that is controlled by the fear of the Jem'hadar and the believe in the mercy of the founders. What we saw in DS9 was a conflict between the Federation and the Dominion warmachine.
There is not a lot about the 98% people that are the Dominion however a lot about the 2% that control the Dominion.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-16-2011, 03:15 AM
i liked the dominion. they were not just one bad guy but a collection.