Lt. Commander
# 1 Borg Hold
01-15-2011, 08:05 PM
Anyone else tired of getting spam held during any borg mission. Every time I play a mission, at least once, i get mobbed by 2 or 3 drones..and get spam held, and then die because I'm spam held. Shouldn't there be a 30 or 60 second immunity to being held after you are held once kind of like the borg have an immunity to being knocked back or down after they have been knocked back or down. Sounds fair to me, and would give some players some extra survivability.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-15-2011, 09:35 PM
Don't melee borg and back away from them. Use grav shift to root them, photon grenades to knock them down, force field dome to keep them away.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-18-2011, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam062307 View Post
Anyone else tired of getting spam held during any borg mission. Every time I play a mission, at least once, i get mobbed by 2 or 3 drones..and get spam held, and then die because I'm spam held. Shouldn't there be a 30 or 60 second immunity to being held after you are held once kind of like the borg have an immunity to being knocked back or down after they have been knocked back or down. Sounds fair to me, and would give some players some extra survivability.
There should be temporary immunity but there isn't. Hypos break holds then go on a 30 second cooldown, during which you can get held again. Basically, stay out of melee range.

Z
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-19-2011, 11:36 AM
Use a hypo to break the hold and for goodness sake stay away from them... what are you doing? just standing there?
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-19-2011, 12:04 PM
All of the hold, stun and root powers that players have in STO apply two effects. The first is the hold, stun and/or root of course. The second effect gives the target an immunity to holds, stuns and/or roots that usually lasts around 10 - 15 seconds. The purpose of this is to prevent players from doing what's called chain-holding or stun-locking, both terms simply mean that you keep the target permanently disabled while you kill it.

The purpose of preventing stun-locking is because playing a game where enemies can stun-lock you is so extremely non-fun and frustrating that it is a major cause of monitors sprouting fist-shaped holes. It is also the kind of thing that causes people to unsub from your game and throw the DvD that it came on out the window like a frisbee.

In short, allowing enemies to stun-lock players is just really really bad game design. Game designers have known this for at least a few years now. Cryptic in particular is aware of this as it's the second biggest reason that PvP in its first MMO bombed.

The powers used by the Borg in STO however do not apply that temporary immunity which allows the Borg to stun-lock you all day long. Yes this is still incredibly bad game design and Cryptic should know better. But it's in the game anyway. Make of that what you will.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-19-2011, 12:20 PM
I've also noticed that the borg can throw the assimilation tubes a lot further than they used to. It used to be that they could only hold you with that (and cause the subsequent damage) when you were standing right next to them. But lately I've been getting hit with them from as far as 10m away. Really annoying for something that pretty much disables you, drains your health, prevents you from moving away quickly, which (somehow) leaves you volunerable to getting hit with a 2nd, 3rd or 4th either while your still held or immediately after.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-19-2011, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by -A-
I've also noticed that the borg can throw the assimilation tubes a lot further than they used to. It used to be that they could only hold you with that (and cause the subsequent damage) when you were standing right next to them. But lately I've been getting hit with them from as far as 10m away. Really annoying for something that pretty much disables you, drains your health, prevents you from moving away quickly, which (somehow) leaves you volunerable to getting hit with a 2nd, 3rd or 4th either while your still held or immediately after.
It depends on the minimum distance that you were from the drone. It's just that the animation is sometimes delayed. If you run right past a drone, coming within a few meters, and continue running, he can still hit you with the assmilation attack even if you are over 10m away when it hits. I've been hit before at 20m or so, but it's always because moments before, I was much closer to the borg than I should have been.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-19-2011, 01:18 PM
Motion Accelerator is your friend... I get hit with a hold, I pop that. I'm still taking the DoT damage, but I'm still able to melee them to death a lot faster than it would take to shoot them. Also helps if you have a medical officer that can drop Vascular Regeneration. This is why my Away Teams have two such officers. Not saying it's perfect, but it does tend to make things a bit easier.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-19-2011, 01:25 PM
As long as you are not a tactical or a combat drugs science officer with a bat'leth stay the hell away from the Borg. The bat'leth is awesome against Borg. You usually only get aggro from one enemy and you ignore their shields.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-19-2011, 01:47 PM
If we are talking about the fuse armor bit, they seem to be able to throw that around at least 30m. Having no resist or immunity though is really a pain in the ass giving how many of them can proc it and their insane cooldown on the ability. They can easily overrun my quick fix/equiptment diagnostic combo making it useless. It removes one only to have two more proc.