Lt. Commander
# 61
01-19-2011, 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight
I think they should offer a bigger discount for those of us with the 12 month recurring subscription. We all ready put in $119.99.
The people who paid monthly from day one put in $180...

Maybe either my logic or math skills are impaired, but I'm just, dieing to know what your point is there.

Edit: Unless you're talking about time left on a recurring yearly. That makes some sense. Especially if it's more than 4 months.
Lt. Commander
# 62
01-19-2011, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekhan
To celebrate the launch of Champions Online: Free for All and the one year anniversary of Star Trek Online, weíll be discounting the price of Lifetime Subscriptions for both games by 20%! The sale starts January 25 at 6 a.m. Pacific and ends February 4 at 10 a.m. Pacific. This means players will be able to purchase a Lifetime Subscription to Champions Online: Free for All or Star Trek Online for just $239.99!

Link to the news article.
My 1 month sub dosen't end till feb. 14th. If I buy this $240 Lifetime sub, will it go into effect on Feb. 14th, or will i lose the rest of this months time? (eitherway this months total cost would be $255, a $45 savings)
Lt. Commander
# 63
01-19-2011, 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A88mph View Post
My 1 month sub dosen't end till feb. 14th. If I buy this $240 Lifetime sub, will it go into effect on Feb. 14th, or will i lose the rest of this months time? (eitherway this months total cost would be $255, a $45 savings)
Basically, you would lose the rest of your current sub's time when you buy the lifetime. The lifetime sub goes into effect at the time you purchase it.
Lt. Commander
# 64
01-19-2011, 06:12 PM
Not that it makes any difference when it starts with a lifetime subscription. You were probably still going to want to bridge that week-half gap anyway, and buying the LTS sooner than the twentyfith wouldn't have been much of an option, as it would've make those ten days cost four times as much.
Lt. Commander
# 65
01-19-2011, 06:22 PM
Another question: I just read that I get a free digital copy of the game with the lifetime purchase.

Since I already have the colectors Edition, do I still get that?

And If so, can I give it to a friend if i want to?
Lt. Commander
# 66
01-19-2011, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reave View Post
The people who paid monthly from day one put in $180...

Maybe either my logic or math skills are impaired, but I'm just, dieing to know what your point is there.

Edit: Unless you're talking about time left on a recurring yearly. That makes some sense. Especially if it's more than 4 months.
I think it's about a 2 month and some change difference if you have the yearly sub. Definitely not cool to have something in place for your remaining subscription time.
Lt. Commander
# 67
01-19-2011, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
There's another part of me that thinks $299.99 for a lifetime subscription to an MMO, which could provide decades worth of entertainment is an absolutely amazing deal. (And yes, there are some predecessors to the now common "MMO" which are quite good, and have been around for decades. Some of you might remember Gemstone from the old 1200 baud modem days. Heck, I almost wish I could of bought a LTS for EQ!)
I don't support the hyperbole but I do support the overall message Stormshade wrote. I wish I'd gone lifetime in a couple of the other games I play.

I also think some of you "early adopters" really need to get over yourselves. Basing your sense of prestige (in a video game, no less) based on when you started playing makes no sense because nobody but you knows or cares. It's the equivalent of protesting a clearance sale on Camaros because you knocked yourself out to rush out and buy a Camaro when the dealership advertised rock-bottom pricing a year ago. Nobody on the street knows or cares when you bought your car and you'd never dream of doing that in real life and expect to be taken seriously. You have it, you paid a good price, enjoy it and move on.

Feeling guilty about responding to the breathless advertisements with ridiculous impulse purchases? Well sorry, but that was precisely the point. The marketing industry isn't going to shut down over your residual buyer's remorse and petty (misplaced) sense of entitlement. Nor should Cryptic cancel this sale. Don't confuse the money-less Federation society (in a video game...based on a TV show...) for the real world you actually live in. I think this mentality is part of what drives the C-Store hostility too.

I can get that you have an emotional attachment to your characters and ships or even to the game but you certainly cannot say you didn't get a nice period of exclusivity. Also at least you're almost done getting your lifetime's worth, unlike me who's just starting the clock and has already paid for a full year up to now. I'm effectively paying twice for the exact same game!
Lt. Commander
# 68
01-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoberraz View Post
I'm personally a little miffed by this promotion.

Rationally, I understand that it'll increase the active playerbase of the game. It'll draw in interested customers. That's good - it means I'll have more people to play with.

However, with this, well... it signifies that having been a founding subscriber pretty much holds no more perks at all. It might've been more advantageous to hold off on buying the game for a year and then buy everything at its present much reduced price, with the game presently offering more features - save perhaps for the subscribed days-based veteran rewards.

Being miffed by it may be a bit petty, but it's still how I feel about it. Though, at the roots, this has more to do with me griping about marketing decisions for the game... and that's nothing the community representatives or the Devs can really do zilch about so it'd be silly to hold it against them. *sigh*

I really do look forward to more of the stuff that's to come for the anniversary, though.
..and the sexy PC Gamer open jacket. XD

edit: oh, I am so glad Stormshade can relate.
I agree and fell the same way,
BUT like most of us who beta tested and bought the Lifetime Subscription I thought that some of the items I got would be special but I guess to keep and make new players Cryptic had to do what they had to doÖ.
At the least give us betaís/life timers something that will be very hard for the average player to get like
umm the shuttle pet that only people who even heard of that taco joint got the codes what was that .06% of your players.
But make it a combat pet and donít make it for rear admirals just so that you can sell it later down the road!!!
Make it an ward for the account not character
Give something that is actually special to the few that have been here for the full year and longer like the beta testers...
Yes I am aware of the calendar and that I just might be presently surprised when it finally gets announced.

Really for those who have reached 365+ days, 52 weeks, 12 months 1 year plus some really make us feel like we have earned something for being a part of this
Donít get me wrong Iím working on making three Rear admirals and the best fleets possible
I have very big plans for my next captain

all in all love STO and am looking forward for new epesodes
Lt. Commander
# 69
01-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Also remember that early adopters still got a way better deal (me being one of them)

I payed £180 before launch and have not payed a penny since (apart from the C-Store, why must i want things lol?) whereas those getting it now would have already payed well over a hundred on the monthly/year/etc subscription.

Yay me
Lt. Commander
# 70
01-19-2011, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A88mph View Post
Another question: I just read that I get a free digital copy of the game with the lifetime purchase.

Since I already have the colectors Edition, do I still get that?

And If so, can I give it to a friend if i want to?
Yeah, I noticed that, too, when I looked at the lifetime sub page. I'm guessing they could do it one of two ways.

The first way would be to simply activate a retail key to your account when they activate the lifetime sub to your account. If that's the case, then you won't be able to give the key to a friend, but it will go onto your account. (You can have multiple retail keys on one account. I have 3 myself, and I've seen others that have more than that.)

The second way would be for them to give you a retail key when you buy the lifetime sub. If so, then you might be able to give the key to a friend, and they can use it. I'm not really sure if that's what they plan on doing, though, and I'm kind of leaning towards the first way, to be honest. I wouldn't mind knowing the answer to your question as well, just for my curiosity's sake, heh.
Closed Thread