Lt. Commander
# 11 My opinions on the holds
01-19-2011, 08:58 PM
Yes, it is beyond aggravating.

As a melee specced tactical, I don't often have the luxury of fighting at range.

And whenever I try to back up, I get rooted, hit motion accelerator and then get rooted again.
And the second time, there's no escape, because both my hypo and motion accelerator are on cooldown.

There was a brief glorious time when I was immune to assimilation.
The accolade Immune (200 borg vessels) meant I was unaffected by assimilation.
This debuff simply had no effect on me, it was like being a member of Species 8472.

And then something changed.

After 2 months or so of ignoring assimilation, suddenly I got hit by it again.
Considering I had been formerly immune to this debuff, I was quite surprised to get hit with it again.

Would someone care to explain why the most useful protection against the Borg was removed?
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-20-2011, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilarta View Post

As a melee specced tactical, I don't often have the luxury of fighting at range.

And whenever I try to back up, I get rooted, hit motion accelerator and then get rooted again.
And the second time, there's no escape, because both my hypo and motion accelerator are on cooldown.

There was a brief glorious time when I was immune to assimilation.
The accolade Immune (200 borg vessels) meant I was unaffected by assimilation.
This debuff simply had no effect on me, it was like being a member of Species 8472.

And then something changed.

After 2 months or so of ignoring assimilation, suddenly I got hit by it again.
Considering I had been formerly immune to this debuff, I was quite surprised to get hit with it again.

Would someone care to explain why the most useful protection against the Borg was removed?

Immune accolade never made anyone immune to assimilation. No accolade ever did.

Assimilation is easy to avoid though. Keep the Borg away from you at all costs. And if they get close anyways, assimilation is interruptible. The animation takes a long time, so if Borg get close, stop shooting, start swinging. Holds, stuns, or knockbacks will also help you get away without the Borg landing the assimilation attack. PBKB shields are quite helpful here too.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-20-2011, 02:52 PM
Try interrupting it with 3-6 drones and infected swarming you at once.
Not counting the heavy tacs, elite tacs and medical drones as well.

Which one about to kill you do you stop?

I can't explain it, but I know I was assimilation immune.
On 2 seperate characters, both using that accolade, I'd see the Borg do the animation targeting me and nothing would happen.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-20-2011, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post

In short, allowing enemies to stun-lock players is just really really bad game design. Game designers have known this for at least a few years now. Cryptic in particular is aware of this as it's the second biggest reason that PvP in its first MMO bombed.
This
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-25-2011, 09:51 AM
Quote:

For TAC Captains you should have the ability to reset your skills by the time you fight the borg, so you should be able to use motion accelerator 2x. I believe you also have leg sweep w/the kit w/motion accelarator, so you should be able to MA, Leg sweep, reset skills and repeat if necessary.

I can't speak to STFs, but if you keep your BOs near you and have 2 TAC BOs which alternate draw fire the swarming gets cut down alot espcially if you give them the ability to leg sweep, defense aura, and stun grenades. As someone else mentioned knock down shields help break the chaining as well. Add a couple of Sci BOs for exposes, heals, and SD hyposprays for melee damage/resist buff (btw they stack) and you should have little problem unless you get hit w/more than one spawn or ignore nodes.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-26-2011, 02:53 PM
Unfortunately, my major problem with these roots is in STFs, which means no Boffs around to distract them.

And Tacs seem to bear the brunt of the assault.
Our life expectancy is equivalent to that of the typical "Redshirt".

Also, healing has a diminished affect under assimilation, by my estimate, it's reduced to 50% of what it would be under normal conditions. Add to that your health is being reduced every second and the fact that only 1 heal is unaffected by Assimilation (Rally Cry, which I do not have!) equals one very dead Starfleet captain.

It's actually pointless to pop a Large Hypospray and all other heals applied by your teammates are more or less useless unless they can spam them non-stop (which they can't!).
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-26-2011, 03:06 PM
I did Infected last week and got really sick of this really fast. I was getting rushed but up to 8 drones, infected, elite, heavy, proto (Various combinations) at a time. And it was literally within seconds I was being Held and Rooted multiple times by multiple units. which led to an incredibly high and ridiculous number of deaths for my team and I.

I was using leg sweep (Which is useless as they are well within range of getting you before this is effective), and motion accelerator and lunge 3 and Tribble of Borg.

It is ridiculous how we have cooldown times for our abilities yet these 2 devasating hold combinations appear to have none.

Maybe time for a review of that
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-27-2011, 09:03 AM
In the Borg STF Changes Thread, Cryptic_Gozer has confirmed these chain holds are a bug and should be fixed soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic_Gozer
Will the STF's "Seem" easier... yes... But that's only because we are fixing a bunch of issues we have with the STF encounter groups. They will work properly, and individual damage and health of these encounters are being toned down a bit. Trash mobs will be a little easier to kill, and wont hur't you as much. They shouldn't be chain holding you, or respawning after you kill them. Theres a whole list of things these guys were doing that has been fixed by the systems team. Most of which was never intended to happen in the first place.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-27-2011, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Unfortunately, my major problem with these roots is in STFs, which means no Boffs around to distract them.

And Tacs seem to bear the brunt of the assault.
Our life expectancy is equivalent to that of the typical "Redshirt".

Also, healing has a diminished affect under assimilation, by my estimate, it's reduced to 50% of what it would be under normal conditions. Add to that your health is being reduced every second and the fact that only 1 heal is unaffected by Assimilation (Rally Cry, which I do not have!) equals one very dead Starfleet captain.

It's actually pointless to pop a Large Hypospray and all other heals applied by your teammates are more or less useless unless they can spam them non-stop (which they can't!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack-NZ
I did Infected last week and got really sick of this really fast. I was getting rushed but up to 8 drones, infected, elite, heavy, proto (Various combinations) at a time. And it was literally within seconds I was being Held and Rooted multiple times by multiple units. which led to an incredibly high and ridiculous number of deaths for my team and I.

I was using leg sweep (Which is useless as they are well within range of getting you before this is effective), and motion accelerator and lunge 3 and Tribble of Borg.

It is ridiculous how we have cooldown times for our abilities yet these 2 devasating hold combinations appear to have none.

Maybe time for a review of that
I usually play tac, and I rarely get held in Infected or KA. If you have just 1 engineer on your team, you can prevent it. If you have 2 engineers, you are golden. With 2 engineers, you can keep a near-perma force dome up. With only 1 enigneer, have a tac give him/her tac initiative to reset the cooldown. Just stay under the dome, and the borg can't touch you. And always kill the drones, Infected drones, and medical drones first. They are not hard to kill, but they call in the protos and do the holds on you. They should be on your kill priority list. Leave the tactical, heavies, and elites for last. The best cure for assimilation is to not be assimilated in the first place.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-27-2011, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinumbar
I usually play tac, and I rarely get held in Infected or KA. If you have just 1 engineer on your team, you can prevent it. If you have 2 engineers, you are golden. With 2 engineers, you can keep a near-perma force dome up. With only 1 enigneer, have a tac give him/her tac initiative to reset the cooldown. Just stay under the dome, and the borg can't touch you. And always kill the drones, Infected drones, and medical drones first. They are not hard to kill, but they call in the protos and do the holds on you. They should be on your kill priority list. Leave the tactical, heavies, and elites for last. The best cure for assimilation is to not be assimilated in the first place.
This. except that its the Tactical drones that call in the proto's unless they changed that, but really kill the small fries. they are the ones that want to hug you. I rarely get assimilated. Repel and a sniper or dual stun pistols and keep out of range.

I find people when shooting do something ive noticed in some fast paced shooters. you stand still and shoot.you get tunnel vision. move and shoot run around get flanking shots. but then again im a medic. for those guys to kill me they have to crit me from flank.

As for the melee specced tac officer.

No one skill works best all the time. *well maybe medics* Their is a reason the borg hold you, use fuse armor and teleport protos right behind you. they want to get in melee range.

its like being a fencer and going up against a group of professional fencers whilst you have tommygun.